Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recovery from micro discetomy

popmonkeyppopmonkey Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi,had my op for a bulging L4 disc last tuesday...day after felt fine,no pain in any part of my leg,walking ok...now today got some pains again in my left foot and shin..not sure if this is normal,possibly the nerves recovering from the op...left the hospital not being given any info on what exercises i should be doing,should i be walking loads or taking it easy..also still have the gauze strip in the wound..does this get left in,does it come out ??..any suggestions appreciated
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, everyone is different but i believe when the medication from surgery wears off you can get pain. I did. I called my doctor jsu to tell them and ask if it was normal. They gave me some tips to help reduce surgical inflammation effects, like icing and ibuprofen.

I would call your doctor idf you are worried.
  • Hang in there you will have pain at different times I'm6 wks post op L5S1micro and still sore and left foot still numb if you haunt make follow up appt with ur surgeon hang in there
  • thanks...will keep taking the pills and see how it goes..very early days
  • One other thing...several small walks per day (like 5-10 mins) on flat surface is good for you. Keeps scar tissue from adhering to the nerve but don't overdo it.

Also, try not to 'sit' too long...I saved sitting for meals for the first 4 weeks.

As for the wound - did they give you instructions? If they didn't or you are unsure, call. They should have told you what to do with it.

I also would think you have a 2-week post op appointment scheduled, right?
  • thanks for the useful info...i will ring up the hospital,there was never an mention of a 2 week follow up,they said that i would get a 3 mth review..
advertisement