Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds after ACDF surgery Question?

LaurieLLaurie Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hope I have the right forum. I get so confused here.:) I left the hospital taking Percocet every 3 hours and Flexeril every 8 hours for three level surgery.

Less than a week later the NS's staff gave me a big lecture on addiction to Percocet saying that if I took it for two whole weeks I'd be addicted. I thought this attitude was very extreme and told them how I felt.

But I did manage to go on Vicodin instead which I now take 3x's per day along with Flexeril and Neurontin that my NS prescribed to replace the Celebrex I can no longer take.

It has been 2 1/2 weeks since surgery and I phoned NS nurse for a refill of Vicodin. They gave me 40. I still have alot of neck pain, lumbar stenosis pain and have been sick with bronchitis on top of it.

But it seems that quite a few people are taking pain meds for a longer period of time and at times, stronger meds. Can you please tell me how long you took pain meds after ACDF surgery?

• I was on morphine and percocet in the hospital. Left the hospital with a prescription for percocet every 4 hours, and Valium 2x a day. Ran out of the Percocet and was prescribed vicodin es 7.5 750. 1 every 4-6 hours. Took that for 2 weeks. After the second week I was only taking pain meds in the afternoon and night. After 3 (total) weeks I was taking the vicodin every night for a couple more weeks. Now, I take it maybe 3-4 nights a week, I am about 3 months post op. I am now also taking Flexeril.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Thank you for telling me.:)
  • I had a 3 level ACDF on 8-29-11. C4 to C7. I was very concerned about the meds. My mom had a history of addiction, and I know it can be partially genetic. Plus prior to my surgery I had 3 epidurals and I was given hydrocodon afterwards and it gave me much nausea. When I went into the hospital I told the doc I was very concerned about addiction and about not keeping pain meds down. I was on hyrdomorphone 2 mg and methocarbamol 750 mg - I took 2 pills every 4 hours almost consistently until 10-11 days post surgery. I stopped the pain meds at that point and switched to 3 extra strength tylenol every 4 hrs - it wasn't the best at first, but I also use heat and ice to deal with pain. Now I just take tylenol as needed. I definitely need the methocarbamol for muscle spasms and I have them everyday and do they hurt! I take 2 when I get the spasm and they make me dizzy and tired. I also have a TENS unit that is wonderful - bought a home one and it greatly helps block the pain. Best thing is no nausea with any of this! Good luck to you!