Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ha! I've got a screw loose .......................

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I already knew that!!!!!

Seriously though, I've just returned from seeing the consultant and although he said previously that my back pain may be coming from the SI joint, after xray today, he also thinks there may be a problem with one of the screws.

It seems one screw is at a different angle than it should be and it could also be loose, so he's going to take it out and replace it with a shorter, thicker one. I'm quite disappointed that I've got to go back under the knife again.

If this procedure doesn't sort out my pain once and for all, then it may be that the SI joint is involved afterall and he will look at that at a later stage.

The trouble is, I'm wondering how many times a surgeon can open the same scar. Does anyone know? This will be my 4th spine surgery and he did warn me that because the skin will be more compromised this time, the risk of bleeding/infection is higher this time round.

Although I obviously don't want to have more surgery, if what he is saying is true, then hopefully this will sort me out. I'm off work at the moment (again) with back pain, so I suppose I have nothing to lose by going ahead with it.

Has anyone else had surgery on the same spot 4 times and, if so, did it heal OK? How long did it take for you to return to work afterwards?

Any comments from you would be welcome, thank you.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• So sorry for all of your pain and suffering. I have only had one surgery so I can not comment on having an incision spot used more than once. Would they be better off going in in a slightly different location? Just a thought. Having a screw loose is one of my biggest fears. They say titanium is pretty strong. I hope so since i was recently rear ended and still concerned about the screw moving or cracking. The x rays showed that everything was in place and aligned. Starting PT on Saturday if they make contact with insurance and get approval with No Fault. I understand how you feel about being put back to a pain level of prior to surgery. Right there with you.

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit
    6 months - end plate growth going well - no more bone stimulator, issues with hands going to vascular and hand surgeons to find out why
    8/2011 - may have TOS or RSD still researching
    9/2/2011 Rear ended at 30 mph. Think I am okay going to OSS on Tue or Wed. School begins Tues.
    Rough first 2 weeks.
    Starting PT again . . .

Dealt with the pain and issues for more than 5 years
    tried PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, cervical epidural shots and selective nerve root blocks prior to surgery
  • My neurosurgeon went through the same incision 7 times. He had to lengthen it at one point, but that was due to what he was trying to get at, not due to the incision. I have a habit of rubbing my incision down with lotion each day after a shower and it has helped it form a nice pliable scar.

Hope this helps.