Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain after back surgery

butterfly77bbutterfly77 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had severe low back pain for years. I was diagnosed with a herniated disc at L5-S1. The Dr. said it was compressing a nerve,therefore had pain in my right hip and right leg. No numbness. I had done alot of therapy, and epidural injections for around 3 years. Nothing seemed to really work so I had a microdiscectomy this June. The Dr. did tell me he couldn't guarantee I would not have any back pain after surgery but said I would have no hip or leg pain. He did keep asking if I had any pain in the left side at all, but I didn't at that time. Everything seemed really good for the first couple of months after surgery. My hip and leg are still good, but I am having pretty bad pain in my left side of my back now that is starting to go into my left hip and leg. I know he just got the herniation off of the nerve on the right side. Could I be having the same problem on the left side now? I am so frustrated and don't know where to even turn. I do not want to have to go through surgery again, but that seems like the only option. If anyone has had this same type of experience I would like to know if this is a possibility that I do have a herniation on the left side of the spine now.

• Hi there, glad the surgery seemed to fix your initial issue. After your surgery did you ever go for physical therapy? For me, I went 6-weeks post op for about 6-weeks. It really helped teach me how to stretch properly which has really helped with my hip pain on both sides.

Anyhow, it is possible that you are having the problem on the other side but no one can say for sure. Did you contact your doctor to tell him your new symptoms? Maybe start there.

From my experience, the MD helps the leg pain but not the back pain.

Hope this gives you some things to think about.