Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

crizteaccriztea Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello. I am scheduled to have surgery in October. I am wondering what to expect after I wake up from surgery. I am so nervous. I have numbness,tingling, and burning in my right arm and hand and also pain in my right shoulder blade. It feels like I have a huge knot there. I have also lost mobility to turn my neck to the right side. I have tried all other options, Chiropractic, Pt, Epidural injections and nothing has helped so far. Please tell me if u have have this surgery and if you think it helped. Thank you for your time.

• Hello Criztea;
    I just had my surgery done last Friday. The expectations are different from person to person. My surgery went well, however I did experience vommiting after surgery and into the next day. The first treatment for nausea didn't help so they gave me composine which worked well. I had a soar throat from the tubing, but eating ice chips and drinking water all night helped a lot. I have very little pain and so far all is well. I go back Monday for an xray and office visit.
    I hope you do well with yours.
  • Hi Christi - I'm just about 4 weeks post op now. When I woke up I was very groggy. My husband and daughter were trying to talk to me, I kept falling asleep. Once that wore off, I needed pain meds. I told them that the pain meds I've been on oxycodon and hydrocodon made me have much nausea. My doc instead put me on hydromorphone. He also gave me a med for nausea (not compazine as that gives me lock jaw). I was on 2 mg every 4 hrs at first, but I was still hurting a bunch. I made enough noise to finally have my nurse (she was horrible) call the doc and he doubled my pain meds. I did ask for ice in a pouch and put that on the back of my neck - it really helped! As to throat, it burned bad for 3 days. Sore throat stuff didn't help much, only chewing on ice. Day 4 it started with the lump in the throat feeling and constant swallowing. I got lucky as that only lasted about 4 days. Now I just have some food/pills get stuck half way down the throat. I always keep liquid nearby when I eat. Doc says it is the windpipe laying next to the top of my plate (Im c4-c7) I can definitely see as they days go by it is getting better. I still use applesauce to get down the large pills so they don't get stuck.

Best thing for healing - get stool softners and take them when using the pain meds. And my husband found me a used hospital bed on craigslist for $150. I never had a time I couldn't get comfortable. I'm still sleeping in it now, but I'll be making the transition to a normal bed in the next day or so. Some people use recliners to sleep in, or at least a wedge. Laying down is very painful at first. And I always have a heating pad on my back at night.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

• Hi Christi
    I am new to the forum and had a 2 level fusion last week. i've had lots of knee surgery so knew to expect nausea and the nureses can give you any number of pills/injections to help that. Get what you can as soon as you feel sick because it's scarey to vom with a sore neck.Extended grogginess can be due to low blood pressure so drink lots of water and eat as soon as you can to help with that. It always takes me 3 days to recover from general anaesthetic. The sensation that you have a golfball in your throat is pretty uncomfortable but it has reduced a little each day. Be sure to have lots of cold drinks and soft food for a week or so afterwards, and don't forget to put straws on your pre-op shopping list. Reading posts on this forum suggest that everyone's experience is different and for me, the fusion itself feels great...much less pain than I had anticipated, dramtic reduction in the pre-op pain I was in previously and a really invisible scar with not much bruising and only moderate swelling. I'm sure a good surgeon has a lot to do with all this but all in all for me it has been a MUCH more positive experience than I anticipated. Good luck and I hope it all goes really well for you. Juju