Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long Acting Pain meds?

MrGrouchMMrGrouch Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
I know that none of us are doctors but I seem to have hit a wall. Does anyone know of a long acting pain medication that actually works that IS NOT oxycotin or mscontin? Also one that a doctor will actually prescribe without worring about the DEA? I heard something about some kind of "salt"?

I am taking lyrica regularly and hydrocodone, rotating 3 muscle relaxers, OTC NSAIDS on a as needed basis.
I have tried Tramadol ER with no effect.
I only need it when the pain gets out of control and the hydrocodone can't touch it.

Any input would be welcome so I can discuss it with my doctor.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,825
    I would suggest talking to your doctor about all other pain control methods.

There are so many that do not include narcotic medications. Pain medications alone will not eliminate your pain. Taking nerve medication and muscle relaxers are part of the total picture.

Look under our FAQ and search for the "The Blend" . That will give you an overview of what has worked for so many people.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I only have found the valium is the only thing that keeps me out of er when pain is realy out of control. When pain meds wont stop the deadly nerve pain, the valium at least calms you down to get over the flare up,

My dr clearly knows i wont abuse it because i dont take it on a day to day basis but its easier for me then going to er posibly 3 times a week for life.

Ps: what is your medical situation for having the need for these meds?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
    In my response, I didnt stop to ask what Alex posted.
    What is your medical situation?
    You might have posted this once before, but I couldnt find anything.

• DDD in lumbar discs, s1-l4(2) herinated. Surgery not an option, Allergic or have very very sever side effects to almost all pain meds. In reponse to Alex Yes I too use valium and it does work vey well as long as I rotate it with others so I don't get tolerant. My pain used to be constant 24/7 but now it is semi-random during the day then hits like a freight train at night. I have lyrica, amitriptyline, soma, skelaxin, valium,lexapro, and 10/500 hydrocodone.
    I live in MD just outside the balt/DC metro area. Due to the severe Oxycotin abuse in the metro area the DEA is shutting PM places and doctors down right and left to try to get it off the street. So that's why I asked.
    Why isnt surgery an option for those herniated discs?

Degenerative Disc Disease generally can be managed by an approved exercise program and over the counter NSAIDs. Almost every person will show some signs of DDD by the time they are in the late twenties. DDD is probably the most mis-understood Spinal alignment. The more you read about DDD, you will realize how comomn it really is and that only in the worst cases is surgery required.

I have heard about center have problems with the DEA. But I also am aware of those same areas, where when the doctor is justified and has rationale, there is no problem prescribing oxycontin or the Opana ER.

But it does sound you are already taking a number of various medications to manage pain. I am not sure what else you are seeking.

What current treatments are you going through? Any physical therapy or other therapy sessions to help reduce some of your pain?
  • According to 2 nerosurgens, 1 ortho, and 2 freinds that have had it done, it is not an option.

All the doctors said the same thing basically, I would not know where to start and in the long run your pain will be worse after the surgery. I do a considerable amount of exercises,go to a chiropractor every three weeks. I tried PT but they made it 10 times worse. I use TENS and other things as needed.

As far as the high power opiods go, nobody will prescribe them. As 5 doctors have told me they will not risk it becuase if the DEA looks into your case they will look into all the doctors cases and he/she will have to justify every single perscription for every single patient. The Oxycontin deaths from abuse in this area supposedly exceeds all other abused drugs. My friend who was on it for L4-L5 fusion pain for 13 years got cut off and has to go to court for it to be reinstated through workmans comp.

Oh clarification: they will not prescibe them for people my age. If you are over 65 they will but not at my age of mid forties.
    is the chiropractor.

Just do a search on chiropractor's here and you will find that the general opinion is that once you have a real spinal problem, you should never been going to a general chiropractor.

They can do A LOT MORE HARM then good.

Now, there are some chiropractors, far and few between, that are completely skilled and experienced on what to do with real spinal problems.

The normal manipulations, tweaks, twists can wreck havoc with your spine.
  • Hi Mr. Grouchin, good name
    Sorry to hear your meds are not working so good for you.
    May I ask which type of doc your going to?
    I mean which doc does your meds?
    Also how long you have been on them. I know our bodies are all different, and maybe your doc needs to adjust them or perhaps try as Papa Ron suggested The Blend.
    As far as you asked about salt? never heard of a med. but I do find lavender epsom salts work in hot bath, I'm sure that's not what your referring to.
    I am lucky at this point my Ortho doc has refill my meds as my primary said they are all really being watched with what they give patients. And I have not found a Pain Mang. doctor that I care for.
    If you have been on same meds for a bit could be you need change things up.
    I can't take the long lasting meds nor the Lyrica type meds, had very bad reactions to many of them.

I hope you can find a better mix, of treatment to help you.
    I myself found very very bad issues using chiropractor, I didn't know my back and neck issues at the time and I trusted one and wow she messed me up big time.. I have to agree with Ron some of them are just not trained, and can cause more harm ,but hey if they are relieving pain for you go for it.

Have you ever trying any type of water therapy
    keep searching here a lot of great info
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I took me years and years to find one that is good. Been going to him for 20 years now as needed. Most of the time not more that 2-3 times a year. He teaches me exercises, and how to self adjust using just positioning then a small twist. he also teaches me how to use the tens, where to put it. He is also a sports med doc for the local high school soccer and track. He also has me on a exercise program that helps more than anything including swiming.

Unlike the others I went to he uses trigger point therapy to relax the muscle. If it does not move he does not force it.

The PT places I have been to are full of idiots. The Physical Therapist does know there stuff but the assitants doing the streaching and exericises do not. The last one took my swolen disks and during one of the exercises ( hip rotation) poped both of them out and I went to the ER in a ambulance thus this entire thing started. If I had not gone to PT and spent another week with Ice and predisone i would not be in this condition.

and yes I have my own "blend" that I use but I will look into the others soon. The salt is a some sort of modified salt that is prescribed by doctors for pain. There is some talk of banning it as it has the effect of an opiod and the gov. A holes think it's herorin.
  • Where you from? I was also seeing a chiro here for my shoulder mostly because he could not do much for my back. Other then accupuncture in the lower back and work out the stiffness in the uper back he would not touch me where he knows i had surgery,

He is also the chiro for schools here in illinois and for the track team. Young guy moved down here from canada with his wife. Him and his wife both chiros. He understud the complicarions i am having with failed back surgery so he was doing what he could to help,

I only stoped going to him when shoulder from snaping scapula finaly got beter and i had another back surgery,

So you are saying you have so many herniated levels is why they wont do surgery? What about partial removal of the herniated disc?

Do they actualy know which level is realy causing the main pain? Or how can they know they are all problem pain generators? Just wondering,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Have a clue as to where the pain is comming from. The best guess of 3 of them is that it is a cumlative effect of the two disks and the four more that are dried up and flat as pancakes. i live in the expensive state of MD.

• If the disc is dried up and flat then there is no space where the disc is right? If you have multiple levels i guess i can understand maybe them not wanting to do surgery on so many levels. But in time they will have to fuse them all posibly no?

Many people talk about how its not good to fuse multiple levels and such,
    But to my suprise, after i had surgery and i was having a conversation with a friend of my dads,

He finaly says he is fused at multiple levels from years back and i never even knew from the way he walks or anything, He goes fishing a lot and i would of never thought he had so many levels fused many years ago, multiple fusion never slowed him down at all,

In some way it just made me more angry knowing i had only 1 level done and i can be in this kind of pain,

Not sure if this helps but i guess as long as there is no nerve damage and you can be fused at multiple levels before any damage takes place it can be done and has been done,

Just thought i toss that out there for ya for i think most of us are so afraid of fusion in general that we back away from it when sometimes its the best solution to some,

Everyone wanting the artificial disc sometimes not even realising the complications that come with it sometimes. Sometimes just because its new dont always mean its beter,

Good luck
    2012 scs implant ,
  • For pain, we always like to take medications which are effective for a long time. I was also searching such medication for my back pain. I had concern my doctor. He gave me some medicine and the most important is that, he told me to do exercise daily for a pain relief.
  • i wonder why they wont fuse if its bone on bone. What about spine stimulator or pain pump
  • No one wil tell me what it is or has any idea how to treat it. I have been refferd to Johns Hopins Pain Clinc in Baltimore. It's supposed to be one of the best around. However due to insurance and cost issues I can't go until Aug or Sep at the earliest. I just got a full time job after 3 years of part time and being out of work from this. If I can work and get to sleep at night I can go to JHU.

My Doc just put me on 10mg Opana and it has done NOTHING. Stuff was $238.00 for 60. Lidoderm patchs work well but are $10.00 a patch.

I have an appiontment tomorrow to see if there is a lidocane cream or somethng that will numb the area.