Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Now taking Percocet

EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 920
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all,

I'm in unchartered territory here. Long story short, I had a two level fusion 4 years ago. I've had ongoing pain since which has steadily increased. I've been through numerous medications along with Facet Joint Injections.

My pain level recently spiked and my PM switched me from 7.5 Hydrocodone to 7.5 Percocet and ordered another round of injections.

The Percocet is working much better than the Lortab, but it does make me pretty sleepy. She also indicated that she was going to re-evaluate where my pain level was in 30 days and was going to consider an extended release medication depending on how the Percocet works.

I don't know what extended release medication she is thinking about prescribing. I'm curious as to what others were prescribed at this point in their pain management. I am concerned from the aspect of being able to continue working. I don't want to be zapped out of my mind, but yet I'm needing something that will get me through the day.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• I personally prefer the long-acting MS Contin I am on over my Percocet which also makes me too sleepy. My pain management doctor tells me they are working on making a sustained released Dilaudid. Oxycontin isn't prescribed as often as it was due to its abuse potential and the DEA limiting its production.

Best wishes,

• I am on Percocet (switched to generic Oxycodone) for break thru.... I've not been put on extended relief since most of my ouch is nerve...and Lyrica covers it. On my "overdue" days, me and Oxy are buds!!!

I hope it helps you. I've seen on here, many with the 'time released/extended release' have pretty good results. I hope you find some relief...pain stinks!!!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I've been taking oxycodone (Percoset without tynlenol) for over 4 years now. The drowsiness does go away overtime. My last dosage increase took me about 6 weeks to fully adjust. Every so often, it'll wipe me out. The wipe outs usually occur when I take them with certain foods. I haven't charted anything down and I just go with the flow take the 10-15 minute cat nap that it forces on me.

Give it some time to see how well you adjust to it.

• I take Oxycodone for break through pain and Oxycontin CR (extended release) every 8 hours.

The Oxycontin CR does not make me sleepy like the Oxycodone does. It took me a few months to get the dose adjusted from 2 x a day -the new anti crush extended release is supposed to last 12 hours but it didn't work for me (apparently alot of patients agreed) so my PM upped it to 3x a day. I started at 20mg Oxy CR every twelve and ended at 30 to 40 mg every 8 hours and then I can take up to 4 of the 5 mg Oxycodone as needed. I usually need to take a couple in the laste afternoon in between meds and usually take another when I go to bed. Days when I have a lot of physical activity I find that I need them more and easy days I take less.

I really like the way my pain responds to the extended release meds. I do get a little tired when I take my medication but I believe it is do to the zanaflex (muscle relaxer). I have found that I can take it at a different time or break my dose in 1/2 during the day and I am not so sleepy.

The only thing I do not like is the hot flashes. I get them all day long (I think it is from the Oxy but maybe it is just age).

Feel Better,

• Im sort of glad to hear the hot flashes are normal while taking it. I was on a medical response the other other day at it was pretty much a "normal' run and out of the blue I began sweating. It looked like I just got out of the shower!

It's weird how some medications will affect your body.

If you don't mind me asking, when you take the extended release medication, does it cause any mood swings? I was on Ultram ER several years ago and I noticed at different times of the day I became very moody.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I take Oxycontin which has the same ingredient Oxycodone which is in Percocet minus the acetaminophen. I find taking Percocet all the time before affected my moods but not with slow release Oxycodone. But at a higher dose I had sweating and felt tired. I hope your Dr. finds the right med for you so you can still work. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • There are many options for long acting or ER ( extended release) medications. Several types of Morphine long acting products, oxycodone ER also known as Oxycontin, hydromorphone ( Opana), Methadone, and several more patches , such as fentantyl and a new one that contains the active ingredient in suboxone- without the narcan.
    You may have to try several different types of them to find the one that works best for you. It does also take some time to get to the right dose, but the nice thing about the long acting is that there are not the constant ups and downs in blood plasma levels that come with the IR ( immediate release) type medications like vicoden or percocet......and after a few days, most of the negative side effects diminish-sleepiness, nausea , etc.....it is a much smoother delivery, you may not even notice the onset of the release of the meds, unlike what you do with the percocet. It is usually 12 or 24 hour dosing, dependent on which long acting you wind up on. Don't rule out methadone either as it is one of the cheapest, but longest half life med still on the market for pain management and it works equally well for both mechanical and neuropathic pain.
    Give any new medication at least two weeks try before deciding it is or isn't working and at least one increase dosage. That's what my PM likes his patients to do, and it is a good idea to ask those questions of yours. A lot of the problems that come up in PM can be answered really easily by asking your personal PM doctor.
    I hope things go well for you and you are feeling much better soon.