Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Kyphosis, twisted spine & head not sitting properly on Spine, HELP!!!!

jgamble0007jjgamble0007 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was recently in a car accident, rear-ended and they hit pretty hard. I began to have a head ache and neck pain that same day. I went to a doctor and for immediate assistance (did x-rays but swelling hadn’t went down, they thought it was whiplash) and I eventually went to a Chiro’s office, where they did numerous x-rays and evaluated my condition. Of course I had Whiplash but that was the least of my worries. My neck has no curve (AKA Cervical Kyphosis or military neck) Along with that, my neck is slightly twisted vertically and it is tilted so my head is not sitting on my spine properly. This Chiro says it should take a few “months” to fix it, but I do not believe that. I still have a spinal head ache (light headed, pain, dizziness), although after my first adjustment, it dramatically reduced in pain. I’m concerned about the stuff I’ve read online about my neck condition, plus it’s popping and cracking on it’s own. I know this sounds weird, but I think something else is wrong. I have some memory loss, brain fog and I don’t see things or notice things as much as I did before. I have almost hit a few parked cars, tripped and almost busted my face on a step at the chiro’s and my head feels “warm”.

I’m pretty sure I’ll need more than adjustments and ultrasound therapy as treatment, I’m afraid of the word *surgery*. I’m considering going to a neurologist, but since most people are better advocates for their selves and others of similar illnesses, I figured I would get opinions of those on this board first before making a decision. If I don’t come to a conclusion by Saturday, I’ll see a doctor to run more tests (MRI, CT ect).
I just want the TRUTH, not some quack lying to me so they can get some $$$.

So, any stories or similar situations you’d like to share? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• In my opinion, the next step is to get an MRI. I had similar symptoms and the MRI was able to give a better picture of which level was causing my pain.

Also, I would hold off from getting any more chiropractic manipulations for now. If you have herniated discs pushing on the spinal cord, the manipulations can cause more harm than good.

Good luck and keep up posted! :)

2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • You need to see your Family Dr. and let him know your symptoms and get an MRI. A Neurologist is a good idea. Why no MRI after this car accident? Don't let the Chiropractor adjust you until you get further testing.

I've been to Chiropractor for treatment with inferential and ultrasound treatments after I've seen a Neurologist and 2 Orthopedic Surgeons and a Neurosurgeon but my Chiropractor will not do adjustments or manipulation. Please see your Dr. about the dizziness and let him know about the fall and follow up the car accident injury. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree I would urge you to stay away from the Chiro until you are cleared by the Neurologist or the very least your PCP.

Keep in mind the Chiro is trying to sell you on his service so he is telling you all kinds of things about your head & neck position (which may be normal for you). They can scare us quickly. The fact is we all have different spines and non of us are text book normal :)

The symptoms you have would be enough to get me into a REAL doctor. I would be worried about the dizziness/ lightheadedness/ memory loss etc. The real doctor should give you a full neurolodgical exam and order an mri if they think it is necessary.

Just my $.02

• I thought I was right about that Chiro, just trying to sell me on his services - by treating the symptoms NOT the cause. I was worried about the dizziness too. I made an appt with a good family doc, and I know he will get to the bottom of it.

On a side note, I feel bad b/c I've been seeing a practitioner - who is great AND very convenient in many ways but she could never replace good old doc. I guess that's why I didn't get an MRI, even though she said she would order one - I got an x-ray instead :(

I ended up at the Chiro b/c I went to see a lawyer who referred me to him and was able to bill my car insurance. But it seems they think I just want some quick money and no fix - NOT the case. I want to fix my problem and make SURE that I get the right treatment and not spend my time and money on useless stuff.

This whole situation runs all through me - Makes me so angry.