Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tingling gone after block, but pain worse

Dmccown448947DDmccown448947 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I hope this is not repetitive in regards to my question, but I dont have much time to get on here and search because I have a very busy schedule with 5 kids and a demanding job with long hours. If I am repeating someone elses request, my apologies.

My issue began with tingling and numbness in my right forearm and over a weeks time, spread to my right hand and fingers. After two weeks, pain in my right shoulder was present. Before I went to the dr., my neck began to hurt as well. When I went to the dr, I first was given oral steroids that did nothing. Upon my next visit, I was referred to a regular doc who set me up for an MRI. The results, although I havent seen them, showed a bulge at C5 C6. I was given a block and immediately the tingling went away.

A week later, I saw the doc again for a follow up. When he was examining me, he found another at C7 T1. I came back a week later for 11 more injections in the affected area. I forgot to mention that the pain I felt at the follow up was a dull ache until after he pressed on it. I dont imply error on his part, just thought it noteworthy. Anyhow, the pain decreased for about three days. Now, every day for the last three, the neck and shoulder pain has increased to a level worse than before. I just want to stinkin cry or punch someone. What is odd is that the shoulder pain has not been an issue since the block, but now its back and the tingling is gone. Also, I guess because I "look the part" with tattoos and all, the only thing I have been prescribed is Ultram.....Ibuprofen helps more than that but is still not very effective.

So I guess my question is first, is this common? Not just that the pain returned, but returned with a vengeance. Secondly, I hate asking for meds because I dont want to appear like a junkie. However, I seriously need some relief until we can find a procedure that might actually work!! Should I swallow my pride and ask, or just grin and bear it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My next appt isnt for another 4 weeks so Im trying to gather as much info as possible.

• 11 shots, wow!!! Sorry, the most I've been put through were 3.... As for meds, I would be very frank with your doctor in so far as what you are feeling, what hurts, what (actions/activities) make you feel better etc... then the doctor might have a better idea what you need.

We are all different, so none of us are/should say "you should ask for this, that etc." The key is,... is it nerve pain, or mechanical pain? Yeah, there is a difference. Nerve pain will NOT be served (helped) with narcotics, vs nerve pain needs nerve specific medications.... I hope you have some relief soon. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for the advice! In not looking for anything specific as far as meds, I just know this one is not even remotely effective and I feel like if I share that I may be dismissed as "looking for a hook up"!! This just isnt the case. Even when I was younger and loved to party, I hated pain pills!! Here in Memphis, there is a large number of people who abuse pain drs and are often successful in getting multiple prescriptions to abuse or sell. I was honest on my patient app about a previous alcohol problem, sooo Im sure that plays into it!! Bottom line though is if its meds, procedures, therapy, etc... I just want to cope so I can be a better husband, father, and employee.
  • also, I should clarify...the 11 shots were two direct on the vertebra, and 9 from a small needle that were administered in numerous locations around my neck. Not sure of the names of either...I was too busy trying not to think about it since the numbing spray, and the local on the block, didnt work!
  • I hear ya!! Sadly due to so many "seekers/abusers" out there, we all are 'suspect' initially until the doctor *sees* we have issues.

I guess that is what I tried to put to you in my post - but I ummm...didn't?? Most doctors can see after a short exam if we are for real or not. Mine bitched at me as "understating my pain" of all things - my blood pressure dimmed me out! Hehehe...

I look at it this way, our bodies KNOW when things aren't right, and we have to be our own advocates, and keep looking for the "right" doctor.... I know it sounds like "seeking" but it really isn't. Some doctors "rubber stamp" us, others "look" at us... The key is to find the one that will look at us..... :)

• If it was my doctors... they were "nerve blocks", and those buggers didn't work for me either... Presently my neck is so unstable, they won't *even* try any "conservative" treatments...as they won't help my mess. (G) I am glad if your shots helped a bit... :)

• Well said! My doc is actually a great doctor..my problem is my apprehension, not his! What really frustrated me the other day was a mother of my wifes best friend sees a pain dr who loads her up for bogus issues to feed her addiction. I, in desperation, asked for something and she responded, sure for $30 bucks a pop!! Im glad she didnt help me in retrospect because, as you mentioned, if I need something, the doc needs to know specifics!! Thanks for listening...I think Im done with that rant now :)
  • Yeah, Im glad the tingling is gone. That is no fun, and people dont understand what its like at all. Im just getting concerned that the bulge is just the tip of the iceberg. There was no trauma or immediate injury to trigger all this. So far as I can tell, Im worried it might be something that requires surgery. I cant afford the time off :/ Also, the first procedure was a block...this one was done in his office without a local or xray
  • Sadly, doctors are a bit "gun shy" of late (and Micheal Jackson doesn't help) with pain medications. Part of me understands it, another part of me gets really fussy...but I "get" it in the end??

I figure once you have a good rep with your present doctor, it will all work out, but he and you need to know each other is my guess??

• If conservative treatments are working, than hopefully surgery can stay off the "to do" list of activities!! I am about to have my 6th, and none of them are fun, this one is one of the most risky for me...sigh...

I know when my first level went, chiro, PT, shots, message etc, was tried, sadly, no help for me. Now if yours is helping, hoowdyhohdy.. that is a big plus!!! :) I would stay with it if the doctors agree this is to your benefit!! Bravo if it is working!!

• Thats just it. So far its not. Well, it sorta is sorta isnt :) The tingling is gone, the pain is MUCH worse. I know that pain returns after almost every procedure at some point, but its only been 3 weeks since the block and 1 since the shots. Plus, its not just back, its new and improved! I see you had the ACDF. How was your experience? Obviously, it wasnt a final fix, but how was the experience as far as pain from the surgery, recovery time, etc..
    Thanks again for taking time to talk. Very few people understand. They care, and want to help, but cant genuinely empathize.
  • I get it as they say... :)

My first ACDF was wonderful! I awoke with NO pain, my function fully returned...I was so happy I cried!! The nurses thought I needed meds for my 'crying'...hehehehe.

My second one was different as the hernia was fast and damaged my exit nerve (caused me to retire a year and a half early).... The surgery initially served its purpose,...stopped further issues, etc. I later found (even though my body knew) my fusion did NOT take, and now I sit with 6 levels unstable... (err...6 vertebra unstable, 5 levels total), and have more surgery next week.

Would I recommend surgery..? I guess the answer comes down to "it depends..." Eg... It depends on each person, their issues, their pain or function levels etc... None of us can decide whether one needs or should have surgery - yeah sounds crappy, but it really does come down to "each" of us.... I thought I was heading to 3 levels...but thanks to being put off...now to 5...sigh...sniff..over it.

• Sorry Brenda. As a child of God, I will keep you in my prayers. Im just wanting some unbiased testimonies of this surgery. Who knows? I may need it, I may not. But, as GI Joe said...knowledge is power:)

Im trying to remain positive about not getting to that point, but its just that this has all happened so fast. Every time I see the doc, there is another issue and another procedure. Oh well. Its getting late and I need to "attempt" to sleep.

I will cling to these Words...But my God will provide your needs according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus. Phillippians 4:19

PS..If you read that verse and that is against any rules on this site, please extend me the courtesy of a notice, and dont remove me. My intention is not to use this site to convert, I am preaching to myself only :)
  • I've had the blocks done at C2 and C3 and it went well. I had the blocks also done at the junction of the greater occipital nerve and it did nothing more than make it angry. I wound up in more agony as a result of those specific nerve blocks. They had to be done though, otherwise we couldn't rule out the possibility that a more conservative approach than surgery could work. That's why I was willing to suffer through more than one.

I found with regards to the medication, is that by asking the doc if there is something else I could try, it left the ball in the doc's court and I wound up getting things changed. I always approach any doc with absolute honesty. Without that, I may as well as hang it up. Most docs really do want to help. It's just that many times when we see the doc, we forget to mention that some of our meds aren't quite cutting it.

Best wishes

• Hi Dm,

Welcome aboard.

I am pre surgery for cervical problems extending over 20 years from a fracture. My C3-C7 is herniated. I have had severe radiculopathy in my right arm in 2007 and then not again until the present. It is agony, the nerve pain. Alot of meds don't always help and you have to see what does. In my case I woke up one morning with this arm pain and then 3 months later it disappeared. It hasn't come back again until now although I always have some pain in my neck. I have had a dozen epidurals over the years (they no longer seem to help) and nerve blocks. You try whatever to find relief shy of surgery for as long as you can. You know when its time, I think. I too just ask my doctor if there is something else that might help when the pain gets so bad. They have seen it all and if you are genuine, they should try to sincerely help.

What type of doctor are you seeing?