Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

still sciatic pain 10 weeks post microdiscectomy

I had a 17mm disc bulge that left me in a great deal of pain and unable to walk with out a walker. after my surgery was still having a lot of pain in my left butt and leg especially back side of my calf (sciatica). 6 weeks after surgery saw surgion who said he only see an injury like mine once a year. where he couldnt move nerve root left or right to get at disc to remove, he had to pull nerve straght up and may take longer for nerve to settle down. had a second MRI and looked good,no new herniation but the sciatica is still horrible and on vicodin and ibuprfin 3 times a day to control. have heard a lot of terms like battered nerve root , will this ever get better?

• The use of Ice packs, pain relieving drugs from the drug shop and other means are some of the
    remedies one may try to use at home for self medication in the treatment of chronic pain at the
    back.The best solution is to consult your doctor, so that a medical examination will be conducted to determine the actual cause, because a problem known is a problem solved. That does not mean that the home remedies are ineffective, they are very
    effective, because there are times when chronic pains like this are actually treated at home and
    the pains disappeared after a short while.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator Numbskull
  • I'm one year post op and I still get sciatic pain bad from time to time. It's nothing like before though. I had to use a walker as well and it seemed the pain came back at the 6 week mark following surgery for me as well. I no longer have medical insurance so I'm not sure what to tell you. Please keep us posted on your progress.
  • No advice but...I understand your frustration.
    It is good your doctor listened to you and did another MRI to ensure you hadn't herniated more.

By chance, did the MRI show significant scar tissue?
    I know walking helps keep scar tissue from adhering to the nerve but that aside, you can continue to improve beyond the 6 week mark.

I had a revision MD and at 6 weeks was disappointed...but I have to say 3-4 months after, I noticed improvements...more strength in the leg, less pain.