Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain and feeling tired

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Chronic Pain
Does chronic pain make you so tired to the point you feel like you always have the flu and no energy? I never want to do anything anymore and what will help energy levels of someone with chronic pain , this is such a crappy way to live..

• yes it does and it sucks !!!!! it doesnt help that people dont understand what it feels like to take all your energy just to deal with the pain and then they want to have your time and effort to actually participate in our life. Not gonna happen. Its often times that we have to choose what activities we are going to do because our bodies will only allow us to participate in a limited time each day. as im currently typing this i am contemplating whether to try to clean the kitchen , make shopping list and match up coupons and actually go shopping ( something i desperately need to do) , have to drop off paperwork ( required by 3 pm) or just go take a nap so that i can at least do one of the above. Its a pick and choose.
  • It is well known that chronic pain interferes with a person's ability to get good quality sleep. Not only does the pain disrupt the sleep cycle, but many medications we take to fight the pain disrupt our sleep cycle as well. I find lying in bed increases my pain, so I try to spend as little time as possible in bed. I can get to sleep easy enough, but my pain increases while I sleep, keeping me from getting the type and amount of sleep I generally need.

I have found my PM docs to be a great resource for educating me and assisting me with ways to get some quality sleep without risking being over-medicated.

• I went almost 3 weeks and didnt go to the grocery , I finally went yesterday and it wore me out! I used to love to go on weekend trips mostly in the fall to look at the leaf colors I dont even want to do that any more and me and hubby always went in the fall.
  • My pain medication keeps me awake if I take it to late and I know I toss and turn all night trying to find a position to take the soreness out where I have layed to long in one spot, I get up of a morning and do slow laps around my kitchen trying to work out the stiffness and that is a bad time for back spasms is in the morning yikes those can put you down for weeks!!So we are darned if we lay to long and to tired to walk..
  • yes, yes, YES! Today I ran some errands, which, in the past, were pretty simple for me. Now, I am absolutely exhausted! It's to the point my body aches and I have the chills. It seriously does make me feel like I have the flu. I am also being evaluated for an autoimmune disease, and I believe whole-heartedly that I have it, because my symptoms fit to a T. And that flu-like feeling is often a part of it. It's absolutely the worst feeling in the world. I feel terrible because I am a 29-year old mom with 3 kids, a husband, a cat, a dog, and a house to take care of. I *should* be able to run errands and cook and clean, etc. But now I feel totally useless. Thankfully my husband has really taken over.
  • I know simple little things just wear you out, sometimes at work I fall asleep at my desk and the only thing that saves me is my bosses chair rattles bad when he gets up lol, But its misrable thats for sure, you are so young to feel this way Im 46 mine started about ten year ago and got worse over time I worked hard when I was younger and lifted just as much as the guys could at work now im paying my dues..Did yours get worse after your surgerys? hang in there I keep hoping there is something better on the morrow!!
  • Even simple household chores kick my butt... I need to take breaks every 20 -30 min then force myself to get up and start again. Irritates me to no end, went to get groceries over the weekend walked the store for no more then 15 minutes and the pain was horrible, I was sweating and using the cart to hold myself up ( this was the first time this ever happened), I feel like I do not want to move, but if I don't the pain gets worse from not moving... lol crazy... I know how you feel and it is probably the worst part of chronic pain is losing the ability to function at your normal capacity when we all know what we have and can do
  • ...a game I play with my pain. Can I outlast it? Will whatever I do today make me hurt? Will I have enough energy by the end of the day to do something other than lay on the couch? Will I be able to get my work done today? Will I have to take meds tonight to get a break? If so, well, I won't be able to drive anywhere, so can I go without the meds to have a social life, or will I be miserable? Maybe, so I just better stay home....and on and on.

It's exhausting. I never want to go anywhere in the evening, because I hurt, and many times I'd just rather stay home on the weekend. I've given up going to college football games (go Ducks!) because between the drive, the walking, the sitting, the walking back to the car, and the drive home...well, it ain't gonna happen. I feel bad because my husband is still very active, and I have to say no a lot. I try not to, but sometimes I have to. Back to that game...

So, yes, it makes me tired. Mentally and physically. Most people who don't deal with chronic pain don't get that.
  • To answer your question, YES, my pain got worse ten-fold after my surgery. Actually, my initial pain was on my right side, around my ribcage. That pain is 95% better after the surgery. However, exactly 2 weeks after my surgery, I developed left-sided rib pain. It's nearly identical to the previous pain I had, except it's worse and much more debilitating. I was able to still function to some degree prior to the surgery; I just wasn't able to work as a nurse on my feet. Well, fortunately I found a desk job which allows me to be off my feet. Plus, it's very flexible so I am able to get up and move around as needed. In any case, it's looking like I'll need to have another surgery, but it's just a matter of WHEN.
  • Let me tell you what I found in walmart that I said I would never use , the motorized little carts are the thing only my 15 year wouldnt walk with me lol you can zip all over the store those are pretty cool! If I dont have alot to get I always use one. I feel like you do get hot and sweaty I think sometimes my meds do that to me, hang in there gal we will survive and in our own way we are unique people!
  • I get the rib pain and burning and before my surgery it was all one sided and only in my lower back now it has spread all the way up to mid back , I twist and turn in my chair at work its so frustrating ! I think the more they do the worse it gets .I am going to try the scs this winter im scared of it but its worth a shot!
  • It's a terrible feeling...I'm sorry that you are dealing with it too. Is there anyway that you can eliminate having to twist and turn in your chair? As that is certainly not good for your back. Do you have a chair that spins, or can your office provide one for you?
  • Yeah my chair spins but still hurts my back , sometimes I use a pillow and other times I cant stand anything touching it , it almost feels like the skin on my back is sore sometimes maybe a nerve thing..It burns like crazy!
  • constant /intractable pain drains you and leaves your immune system open for opportunistic infection .that's why a flu jab is a good idea for people like us .sorry that you are feeling this way
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
This discussion has been closed.