Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I expect any benefit from a Tempur-Pedic Contour?

naturallightnnaturallight Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Sleep Problems

Hello, I think thinking about getting Tempur-Pedic Contour mattress to help alleviate some chronic back pain. I tried it yesterday and it felt pretty nice and supportive, but it's hard to gauge something like a mattress from only using it for 10 minutes. I guess I am wondering that given my pain history, should I expect to get any benefit from switching to the Contour mattress?

Here is my general pain history:

2006-2009: Characterized by very sharp pain in my hips/butt that would shoot down my legs. Worse on the left side, and worse when I would wake up. Very on/off--on bad days I could barely walk, on good days I could play tennis. I think I have pretty much figured it out, as the biggest key is for me to always sleep on my left side (plus things like jogging, using the Teeter, and good posture at work help too).

Fall 2011: Characterized by very achy back. Often I will wake up after 4-5 hours with a very sore and achy back, and spend the remaining 2-3 hours tossing and turning in bed trying to get comfortable. Sometimes I will move to the floor for the remaining 2-3 hours, which seems to help. In additon, the outside of my left thigh (IT band?) is also very achy. All of this completely dissipates about a half hour after I get up.

My current mattress is 10 years old and probably originally had a medium stiffness. I am thinking that I need something stiffer, so I was also considering just a hard futon.

Any thoughts?

Thank you very much.

• I have a memory foam mattress 6" memory and 5" foam and it's very comfortable. I think more comfortable than a hard futon. I have my memory foam on a boxspring but it's supposed to be just on a platform bed but it's working for now.

Try to find out what's going on with your back and see if you need x-rays or see your Dr. I know a mattress is important but doesn't take away all the pain if you have disc and nerve issues. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hate to say this (as I LOVE my TempurPedic) but the memory foam toppers are pretty darn great for supplementing "old" or "regular" mattresses!!! I love mine because with multiple spine surgeries it allows more a bit more flexibilities for getting out of bed, and too adjusting for sleeping positions...

For months I used the memory foam toppers... they were wonderful!!! I guess the key is what is going on in your spine, and how it helps you sleep and too... (biggy) how you can get in and out of bed?

Some mattress stores (US) you can play around with mattresses, and too toppers to see what might work for you... Granted 20 minutes isn't the "whole" night, but you get a taste, and many give you wiggle room to try the topper or mattress.... I hope you find relief!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes, I'd expect better sleep and comfort. Try for 30 minutes on it if you can, and lie on your back and sides. Take a book to take your mind off it!
    Bear in mind though that the average mattress lasts no more than 7 years, and may well become uncomfortable before then.
    Some of the pillow tops will form ridges after a few years and you end up lying closer to the actual mattress with the nice soft pillow top alongside you.
    This is not classed as a defect for warranty purposes, just normal ageing.
    Wouldn't hurt to ask about it. It is a big problem and an expensive mattress might be good for less than 5 years.
    That's what happened to us. We'll probably go all latex next time, but I'm still not sure what to do.
    Our present one is latex with a pillow top. For the first 4 years we absolutely loved it, then the backaches started.
    I've had to layer my side to build it up again.
    Ask lots of questions and do more research into problems.

• Great, thanks everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to get the Temper-pedic. Hopefully it should help, and if it doesn't, I guess that's a sign that I have bigger problems than just a bad mattress.
  • You will love it. Bear in mind that mattresses are a very high mark-up item, so negotiate hard.
  • it cost over 3 thousand pounds it look fantastic on its sleigh bedstead i hardwood .but its useless to me and it gives my wife {who had a good back} back pain!! .so our son has it in his room .we did buy the velda pro flex 30 its two single beds joined together they are also top end and electrical adjustable with a combination mattress that pocket springs and memory foam .extremely comfy .my wife can sleep for 10 hours on it without any pain .but unfortunately i can only manage two at the most .but that's down to my back not the bed .the bed is top end very expensive .worth it though ..i would advice an electric bed with anyone with back pain .you can try the tempur bed for 60 night so that may be the way to go .remember to keep the packaging otherwise they will charge you 100 pounds to repackage it .happy shopping
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • They sell memory foam you can put over your matress? I had injection and layed on the table and it felt great, i asked the nurse is this memory foam! She says yes, i was like wow this is what i need at home can i take it?

If they have it in full size to put over a matress i need 2 of them, One for my private bedroom because i move around a lot and 1 for our shared bedroom so i can stay in the shared room in the bed.

Who sells it here in the states without breaking the bank? I only seen it on tv for the full matress where they want to send you a cd and all that crap but wont even say how much it is,

So i know its a rip off where they expect you to refinance your frickin house or something for a stupid matress, thats not hapening, Any time they dont advertize the price you know something is wrong, Its not as if i was buying a car, Do they actualy think i am going to finance a matress and make payments on it for life,

Its a matress for christ sake! Its not a mercedes, If i dont have the cash for something i dont buy it, If i want it then simply tell me the price so i can walk in somewhere and buy it damn it,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I have a latex overlay on top of my pillow top latex mattress as I needed to do something when the top layer started to mound up on the edges.
    I still have to pad the centre-using a folded mattress protector-but the overlay evens it all out.
    It's reasonably thick and cost a bit. We take them with us on holidays now as often the beds are too firm.
  • I found that the mattress was designed for people who primarly sleep on their backs. My back is fully fused from T10-pelvis and I have suppurative spondylits (inflammatory spine disease). Consequently, I can only tolerate sleeping on my side or stomach, but was unable to turn over in the memory foam and found my muscles getting fatigued from having to stay in the same position all night after I "sank" into the memory foam. It was a very expensive mistake, but I gave it up for a firm mattress that makes a log-roll maneuver easier. I like the idea of the memory foam, but it just didn't work for me because of my spine problems and chronic pain.
  • Regardless of what you read on the internet or what your neighbor tells you. Doesn't matter if you had the same surgery I did.

Go to the store and try it out several times. I don't mean just lay down on it for a few minutes. Bring a book or your ipod. Take your shoes and coat off. Lay down and stay ther 15-20 minutes. Leave. Go back again. Do this a few times and try on your back, sides, stomach. All positions that you would normally sleep in.

It took me months after my surgery to pick one. I did not like tempurpedic at all. To each his own.
  • But I have nothing but good things to say about our TempurPedic Contour Select.

We have had older 10" original Tempur beds, and they worked out a bunch of kinks in them.

...and for the love of God stay away from a Nature-Rest Latex bed. Major hammocking and the Tempur warranty is great.

Last, our friends @ Lay-Z-Boy also have us covered for those nights when we just need to be bolstered a bit more. I tap this out (iPad) laying in their Calivn model as I speak.

Goodluck and whoever reads this I hope it helps :-)
    Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
    May 2012 -Multi Level Discography
    July 2012 -XLIF 2Cages @L3L4/L4L5
    Aug 2012 -All New Hardware @L34L45/L4L5/L5S1
    Mar 2013 -FBSS = Pain Management until they figure it out.
  • its called the dormeo octaspring and its amazing you can see from my previous post i have had various high end beds but the octaspring is a memory foam mattress but its made from 8 sided various density memory foam ;;;springs;; there are no steel springs in it and its not a solid block of foam .its a wonderful invention and i think it will overtake solid memory foam within a few years .as people get to know about it ..dreams in the uk are the main agent and they can't get enough of the octaspring .well worth a look if your thinking of changing your mattress
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • Simmons Tempur-Pedic Contour mattress are good quality mattresses. We have used them for more than five years and no complaints.
  • We bought one thinking it would be great for my back..... It's in our guest room...
    Sallie De Silva
  • is also in the spare bedroom .it was awful the octaspring is a million times better
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • karlpt said:
    Simmons Tempur-Pedic Contour mattress are good quality mattresses. We have used them for more than five years and no complaints.
    There have been a bit of a backlash against this particular brand I'm led to believe. I was looking more for a memory foam topper to adapt my current bed, could anyone suggest anything that wouldn't have the initial outlay required by a mattress purchase?
  • We bought a firm latex mattress with a separate medium latex topper.
    Toppers can be soft, medium or firm. So easier to change the topper rather than the entire mattress.

We actually have 2 toppers to get the comfort we like. We had bought one previously trying to make the old mattress usable, then bought the new, better quality one.
    If you get single toppers, you can have different densities for each side if you wish.

I'd never get a pillow top again as they soon form ridges and can't be used both sides.

Latex mattresses however are very heavy, so don't think of moving it!
This discussion has been closed.