Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fell out of bed OMG hip pain leg pain

martyjommartyjo Posts: 57
Just wanted to get some feedback to see if others out there have what I have. First off I am 3 years satus post L3-S1 Fusion with the rods and screws. I've never been pain free since the surgery but get by on pain meds. No heavy duty stuff - just what I need to do what I need to daily. Anyway, I fell out of bed landing directly on my left hip. That was about 1 month ago. It was strange, my left hip was sore but I felt pain also in my right hip area . Then when I began taking my usual walks, my left hip began to OMG painful spasm to the point where I can't walk except for around the house. It is combined with sciatica in my right leg. The sciatica is in a leg already compromised by nerve damage from before my back surgery and the reason I had the back surgery. So, I'm limping around the house and trying every cream on my leg. I did try wrapping it with an ace but the ace was too much on my leg and it hurt more. Heat does not help. Ice does nothing. The pain medication helps but the pain returns in the night with cramping in my calf. I can't flip over because I can't stand the pain on the left hip. I can't believe this could have all started from a fall onto the floor. I can still walk and that is why I thought nothing of it when I fell because I knew I'd be sore but now a month later. I'm a 62 year old female. Weight is good. I'm just clumsy. I've went online and it seems I may have sciatica but I had my back fused, so can you still get sciatica?

• You can still get sciatica if you have an entrapped nerve being in your hip or back. Your Dr. may want to send you for an EMG/nerve test to see where the compressed nerve is stemming from. You may want to let your Dr. know about the fall and he may order x-rays and a CT scan to check your fusion site. It's not unheard of that spinal surgery can add pressure of your adjacent discs being involved now.

I don't think your clumsy since you fell out of bed, especially if you were asleep. Just wondered how your bone health is and if you've had a recent bone density test? Your Dr. should see you as we can only speculate what's going on. Keep us posted how you're doing. Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree with Charry. Since it has been a month and you are still limping around with pain during the day and at night anything is possible from a severe bruise to a whatever it may be. I think you should give your dr a call to let him know what you did and how you feel. I don't think you are clumsy because I'm accident prone too. I think even more so since my fusion too.

Let us know how you are doing soon.
    Good luck!