Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice and need to vent.......

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I haven't been on here much lately but here is my story.

I have been having severe back pain for the past 6-7 years. Within the past year or so I finally decided it was time to get it checked out. Turns out I have DDD in my lumbar with herniation at L5/S1, and a couple bulging discs at l4/5 and l3/4. I had a laminectomy and discectomy on L5/S1 in May of 2010 and then a revision surgery for the same level in Jan of 2011. My back still hurts like heck. They send me for another MRI and it shows severe narrowing of the disc space with granulation tissue and edema in the bones. My family doc recommends PT. I went to see another well known back surgeon (NS) up in Albany, NY and he recommends facet block injections. I feel like I am going backwards instead of them just getting the obvious over with. They claim my back will fuse itself but they say that normally happens in patients that are 60-70 years old. I am only 36. Any of you think the facet block injections is just so this doc can stick it to my insurance company before recommending fusion surgery? I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrated I am and how fed up I am with this pain and I really am starting to feel like they just want me to live with the pain and to quit bothering them with Dr appointments complaining about the pain. I feel very alone with this. I have a wife that is very unsuportive of my decisions as she thinks I am just lying about the pain in my back. FRUSTRATION !!!!

• Private message me, and I can give you some advice

I am sorry that you are going through all of this!!!
  • Salty,

I hear ya. I think that if you've been dealing with back pain and disc issues for over 6 years, PT and injections may not help you much. Fusion is an invasive surgery, but instead of letting it fuse "on it's own" with the vertebra collapsed upon the other makes no sense. They can restore the proper disc height in surgery and open up the foraminal space (where the nerve roots exit) and help your nerves heal with the pathology corrected. You may want to visit another surgeon or two for more opinions. That would be my advice. Let us know what happens and hang in there. It will get better. :)

• I have "the whole works" of lumbar issues including facets.

I was told following my fusion that mine were "bone on bone". Boy are they painful!

One easy way to know if they are causing you pain is to bend backwards and/or to the side and back. Go slow because of they are inflammed, it is painful.

Mine also hurt if you touch them...

It might not be a bad idea to have them injected. To see if it helps. Fusions are so difficult.

I'm sorry your wife doesn't understand your pain. My ex didn't/doesn't either. You would think he would/should as he had 2 fusions himself....

Would it help if she went to your appointments with you?

We definitely understand here! More than we all wish we did! :) We are here to support you thru this! Hang in there!
  • bending backwards causes pretty severe pain. More than I'd like to walk around with on a daily basis. And honestly the scary part is when I was taking pain meds, it really didn't help much either... :(
  • I believe it! :)

Narcotics won't help with pain meds. Bending back, squeeses the nerve inbetween the bone....OUCH!!

You may want to consider an injection. For me, they provide relief, just wish it lasted longer....

Even if you go ahead with the fusion, you might want some relief from the facets while you do pre-op, etc.

I wish I had better news, but I really do get it! Mine at L5-S1 are shot. :(

Hoping you find some relief!