Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two cracked teeth in months time.

SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Pain Medications
A friend brought to my attention that my teeth may be falling apart due to long time pain med use.
I've had a couple of teeth pulled over past few years..but this month I have had two teeth just break.

I've been able to save them with bonding..not like they were pulled like the others...so I am grateful.
But I'm wondering what to do. Of course I talk with doc who just kind of says we weigh the pros and cons.

And I try to go with out pain meds..but reality kicks back in with...yeah, the pain is real...deal with it.

Since I'm not terminal and this will be a long time concern...wondering if any suggestions, please. Plus, $400. for each tooth bonding... starting to add up. Yikes!

I read about dry mouth..didn't feel like I have...but I started chewing sugarless gum. But if it's happening from inside out..like nourishment to teeth impaired..I'm clueless.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas
Sue
Spine-Health Moderator
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement

Comments

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    If you were on steroids at high doses or for a long amount of time this can affect your teeth. Im the same as you, my teeth crack and break very easily. Im tired of pouring money into getting them fixed when another tooth is just going to break. Im getting all my pulled at the beginning of the year. Ive been told from my dentist that it can be from the steroids and years of medication.
    Susan
  • Could you be weakening and grinding your teeth and not know it. That in its own right will weaken them greatly. I would try a mouth guard too, like is there any jaw pain within the the teeth weakening. I have too heard that dry mouth does cause teeth to decline... just a side thought
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    I see the dentist next week and will ask his opinion, too.

I didn't think of the mouth guard...that's a possibility.

Reading about dry mouth, I started chewing some gum.. but I hate it.

My pain doc..almost before the question left my lips..said...no...it's not your meds..just go to the dentist.

I like you guys better. :)

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I've had to have all 6 of my upper front teeth fully crowned due to cracking and internal fragility. 4 molars crowned - but those were over 20 years ago - unrelated. I've now got two more molars cracking... Dunno, they are slated for crowns, but my cervical fusion takes priority (again). It's funny, not many cavities of all things!!

No real dry mouth here. Meds..Lyrica, Oxycodone, Atenolol, Hydrochlorothiazide, Simvastatin, Lidoderm patches, Advair....

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Your Dentist will be able to tell if you grind your teeth or if you feel your teeth feel rough at the edges? Make sure you're drinking a lot of water and get your calcium checked. I recently started taking calcium supplements and D3. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I to started the calcium and D3 supplement, my one tooth broke completely off a couple months ago, my dentist told me it could be from the medications and that I grind at night while I am sleeping or trying to sleep and I noticed myself that I clench when the pain is bad. (mostly my left side clenching) ... They couldn't bond my tooth so the cheapest thing I can get is a flipper (lmao) and it is 600 dollars and due to my grinding he cant guarantee it lol
    Best of luck Have a great pain free day tomorrow! :)
    Sheryl
    I forgot about that. There's so much med to take and sometimes so expensive.
    But I was told vit d would also help pain & I was so depleted..and when levels went to norm...and pain really no different..I forgot about it.

But I want my teeth ...so back on it I go! I go to dentist today...so looking forward to see if I grind or what. It's possible...but funny..seems I don't sleep enough to cause damage..but... :)

Thanks everyone!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator

Dentist agrees that pain meds not effecting my teeth. It's weakening from old fillings.
    But he was great and chatty and didn't charge me very much for the bonding..so it was a great day!

The vit d and calcium will still be something I follow through with, though...oh, and he checked and I'm not grinding...so that's good.

I hope I can remember this experience and try not to worry over...everything...&/or think I am doing something wrong all the time.

But since I'm kind of the anxious type...I can't thank you guys enough for being there and walking along side :)
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator

• Did everything went fine with the dentist?
    ..fine now.
    Dentist told me that no way did my medications effect mt teeth. Just some old fillings that cause teeth to break ...since they were old..from childhood.

Things should be fine now!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator

• So glad it wasn't the pain meds. I ground my teeth as a child and young adult. I had teeth chip after surgery from the anesthesia tube. They were weak from all the grinding I guess.

I take lots of calcium to help my spine fuse so helpfully it helps the teeth too. I grow bone really well and my fusions are very strong. Wish I could say the same about the teeth!!
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Just saw this thread; I had a tooth cracked in "an unusual plane" (per my dentist) doing of all things: trying to crack a laxative in half. (I know some of you are either laughin' or nodding your heads)... and it was actually someone here that mention to me "you are on amitriptyline (Elavil) for neuropathy aren't you?". Sure enough, I researched it, my dentist never heard of it, but it definitely affects both quantity (duh, dry mouth every morning!) and quality of saliva. I don't know if its the right solution, but IO literally go through have a box of sour chew candy and 2 bottles of water every morning. My dentist recommended Biotene after I showed him the articles on Elavil and tooth loss; but 1) this stuff is gross and 2)expensive...
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,599
    Xerostomia= Dry Mouth

Xerostomia is not a disease but can be a symptom of certain diseases. ... -Medications - Several hundred current medications can cause xerostomia. ...

Except from searches...

So maybe the meds don't directly cause the damage - but they cause xerostomia ... that can led to tooth damage.

It all makes sense to me .... and my dentist wealthy!!

d
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • Yes, I have had a whole host of dental problems in the last 12 mos since I had injured my back October 2010, had then had 2 back surgeries and have been on every pill under the sun . I do not have dry mouth at all though so I am wondering if it is something more chemically-related or just my turn to have a lot of dental problems???
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    For dry mouth called biotene. And it works quite well and it's quite expensive, of course.
    But I cracked 3 teeth last year. And 0 this year.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • castillonewsomccastillonewsom Posts: 2
    edited 06/28/2012 - 7:07 PM
    A cracked tooth is something to worry about for the patient. If you have split tooth then it is not possible to repair a it. you should wear a mouthguard at night to protect your teeth but dentist advice is require to wear it.
advertisement