Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

maintenancemanmmaintenanceman Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi.Im John.Im 2 weeks from 50 yrs young.Got hit in the head by the rear bumper of a truck 24 yrs ago.This cost me a year of work,lots a pain,ect.Instead of never doing anything again,complaining all the time,and living on disability,I took control and finally got myself into a different job(railroad worker when hurt,dispatcher when rehired-had to go out of state to get work as I had an ohio bwc claim so KNOWONE would touch me at home.)Met some very good chiropractors in Florida,long story short-I was back to 80% of my former self most,but not all the time.Dealt with headaches I can't describe the pain of on an occasional basis.It ain't been a walk in the park,but we,my wife and I,have dealt with it.Recently the headaches and neck an arm pain and still working,now as an industrial maintenence tech,have whittled me down to a ghost of myself,and I tip the scales at 111#,and Im 5'10" tall.Cant sleep without pills and dont like taking those.My boss is not concerned with my problems-I had perfect attendance for 7 yrs,the last 2 Ive been given attendance warnings.I haven't taken vacation in 4 yrs due to this.Now my surgen and the guy who did the trasforaminal injections in my neck say I need c5,6,7 fused and plated with my own bone from my hip(111#)-and Im off work for 3 months after surgery and they cant do it for 2(dec 16)Im freakin out here,my wife is loosin it.Winter is comin,we live in the country on a hill-and my wife is tiny and cant snow blow...Ill shut up-Im just loosin it here Thanks for listening....

• John, God bless you for making it through so much for so long, and your wife for being at your side through everything. I know the problems seem overwhelming right now, but I hope you can find it in you to hold on a while longer while you work this out.

You first need to find out if your employer must comply with the Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA). This was put in place to protect the job right of workers who themselves or whose immediate families experience illness that causes them to need time from work. You qualify for 12 weeks of coverage in a "rolling year" (whenever you start, it ends 12 months from then.) You don't have to know a surgery date at this point -- you can, with the backing of your doctor, requiest intermittent leave to cover doctor's appointments, etc. and modify it when you know your surgery date. Check into this ASAP, it doesn't guarantee pay, but they can't do away with your job during that time.

Second, do you and your wife belong to a church? I'm not much of a church person for personal reasons, but I think the comfort and fellowship of other people when we're hurting can be a wonderful gift. Someone there might be able to help you and your wife with some of the chores you won't be able to handle.

Finally, friends, family, and neighbors, people who know you, and know your situation -- we often think they don't want to help us or have even abandoned us, but I think most people tend to wait until you tell them what you need.

You story has touched me deeply, and I wish I could offer more help to you in the weeks ahead. Please come regularly to this forum when you need to talk, okay? Nobody here wears your shoes, but most of us have a pair that was made in the same factory. :)

Take care,
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. Charlotte wrote a beautiful post to you and there is not much more i can add..i do hope circumstances change for you very soon.. all the best of luck! Jenny :)