Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Three teir cerviacl fusion. Help need answers!!!

nap2bfreennap2bfree Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am new to the boards. I have been living with cervical pain since 2000. I have been having siatic issues in my lower back for about 5 years. I have gone to several doctors, I have had every treatment on my cervical you can have, except surgery. Well I went to get it rechecked 2 weeks ago, MRI and Xrays. I now have herniated disc c6-c7, with a very large bone spur, degenaritve disc and arthrits, c4,c5,c6. C4 also is slipped. Also straightning.
I am having c4,c5,c6 anterior Fusion on 10-26-11. I am wondering what to expect as far as the surgery goes and when I can expect to go back to work. I was told at the first counseltation that I can expect to be off for about 2 weeks. I have not had the 2nd consultaion yet it will be on 10-24-11, the nurse said the doctor will let me know more at the 2nd consultation. But that is 2 days before the surgery. so it is not giving me much time to inform my job. I just can't imagine I would be able to return back to work after 2 weeks for a 3 level anterior fusion. Please give me your feedback

• Sorry, don't know what a "ACFD" is...did you mean ACDF? (G) Sorry, trying to cheer you up a bit. Okay, so they are going to go in via the front. That is a GOOD thing believe it or not!! Less trauma... muscles cut and such...

Not to trivialize, but your recovery should be a bit easier. Now to go back to work in 2 weeks...heh... I highly doubt that! My first and second fusion (both ACDF's) were 6+ weeks..

Let your body tell you what is going on, and follow doctors orders. Me, I lucked out in that I didn't have a lot of post operative issues or pain. Swallowing sure, but that past fairly fast. Just try not to push or rush your recovery. Take care of YOU first vs the "job"... :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • nap, first, your fusion will be actually *two* levels, C4-5 and C5-6. There are only two discs being removed.

Second, it can be a complicated process filling out the paperwork for FMLA with your employer, and for short-term disability if you have that. Much of the paperwork needs to be completed by the doctor's office, not by you. If you haven't started on that yet, I'd advise you talking to your human resources person immediately to get the ball rolling. You need to protect yourself and give your employer adequate time to prepare for your absence.

I agree with Aviatrix, a couple of weeks probably won't do it, unless you have a very sedentary job and can be on light duty perhaps. I had a 3-level ACDF C4-7, although mine also required that a large portion of the vertebrae themselves be removed. I was in a hard neck brace for 2 months, and didn't return to work for 3 months. (My surgeon was reluctant even then, but I was a surgical nurse whose job required a lot of push/pull of equipment and lifting of patients.)

Good luck, and try not to stress out too much. Check in with this forum if you ever feel in need of support.
  • Thank you for your replys. Like I said I am new to this so I can't even get my diagnosis correct. Lol...
    It is a ADCF 3-Level C4-5, C5-6, C6-7.
    Babybubbles- how is your range of motion? are you able to tell a difference? How long were you in a collar? How long were you in the hospital?