Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior Cervical Fusion 2levels

june23jjune23 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
wanting to talk to someone who has had "Anterior Cervical Fusion" 2 levels (c6-c7)1 disc is ruptured/the other is buldged
I have has this problem for about 2years . The last 8 months have been at times unbearable. My right hand stays numb with pin and needles feeling also, twitching in my right arm. my upper back kills me I usually sit my weight on the left side of my body while sitting or lifting my right arm to relieve the pain.I've tried therapy my suregon does not recc' shots because this is just a temp. fix.

Was the surgery sucessful?how was your pain after surgery?

• Welcome to Spine Health :)

Many of us have had the ACDF. My NS said it is his most successful of all fusion.

Mine helped a lot, but I was t-boned about 8 weeks into my recovery so it has been slow. So I would say yes! The pain I get in my arms is generally tolerable and is probably due to my new Thoracic problems (resulting from the MVA).

This is a great resource and there are many wonderful people who will help you.

• Thanks Julie,Was the pain intense after surgery? I find myself at a cross roads of what to do. My therapist wants injections/my neuro spine doctor says its not a fix.However, he also stated later in life he might have to go back in and fix the more disc because of the pressure being placed on the other disc,this making me think "will it ever end"?on the other hand the therapy might fix the buldging disc but not the ruptured disc. Over all my health is good. I have had only 1 surgery in my life and that was a gallbladder surgery.
    Any information would help :)))
  • I had a cervical spinal fusion almost 10 years ago & am now facing another surgery. The dr warned me the disc below/above may herniate, which it did. I told myself I was not going to go through another surgery, but what choice do I have? I've been going to pain management drs for 3 years now, dependent on narcotic pain meds. What kind of life is that? I am so tired of the game. I've been accused of being a drug seeker because my husband & I move every 6 months because of his job. Tired of relying on pills & being made to feel like a criminal. I've exhausted all other options. So I guess another surgery is in my future.

IMO, EVERYTHING is a temporary fix.

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP
  • Hello June,

I have 4 ruptured cervical discs and the radiculopathy is brutal at times. I have been lucky though for a long time. I am just now looking into surgery as the pain is getting very bad now again and lasting longer.

According to what I read, the ACDF is one of the most common surgeries and one of the first tried after all conservative methods have failed. There is the problems with adjacent levels going bad also, from what i have read and been told. You do what you need to at the time,however. Do your homework and find the best doctor you can.

The very best regards to you.