Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm fried, done, pull me out of the oven

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi friends.

Sorry I haven't posted much, but at my job we've been in the middle of our "busy season", our one major out-of-town conference for the year. It's extremely busy for every single person in the company, not just me.

My job is to do all the printing, packaging, bag stuffing and anything else I can help with in the months leading up to the semi's filled with goodies leaving for the conference. The conference isn't actually until the end of Oct., but the trucks left today with all the goods on them, most of which I was involved with in one physical way or another and things should slow down to a normal pace now. Additionally, we've had my MIL stay with us for a month and three days (not counting, am I?) and had to cook and entertain for her during that time as well. She left just last Sunday, after a bit of coaxing.

Now, I think I'm dying. I haven't worked this hard since before my spine problems started and today, with it all being over, I couldn't even sit comfortably at my desk. I left early and immediately got in my comfies and robe when I got home at 2pm. I feel like I'm getting sick, but I think it's all the extreme effort that I've had to put in over the last four weeks. I didn't work much overtime, but when I was at work I was working like crazy. But I got 'er done, by golly, I really made it happen.

I'm posting this not just for sympathy (give me an "atta girl, Cath, ok? Alex? Z?), but just so you know that you can do it even if it takes a huge toll. I feel like it's going to take me a few weeks to recover from all this. Luckily I had some great people at work that helped me out with some of the really physical stuff, but my hubby and I wondered during this time if I can really do this, can I really work a "real" job that is physically invasive. I can and I will.

So, there it is in a nutshell. I'm wishing all those that have had surgeries well and those that are facing them the best of luck. I've been reading your posts and internally wishing you all the best, but my body is busted up right now and I feel like a bag of very sore bones laying in my recliner.

Take care all. Sorry for the rant and I'll be back on to help those that I can and wish the best for those that need it - just let me sleep for a week first. :-)

Thanks for listening,

• I can't imagine what it's like for all those that not only go through this pre-conference crud, but that actually work it too. Luckily it's in Vegas so hopefully they'll have some fun. Let 'em - I'm fried.
  • Isn't it interesting what adrenlin does for our bodies when we need it? That fight or flight response. Then when we don't need it anymore it all comes crashing down and we have no idea how we made it through. I kind of just went through the same thing the past couple of weeks with moving, I have no idea how I made it (well, yes I do, my mom and hiring movers, lol, but even with that help, when it was all over, I crashed hard). Kudos to you for pushing through the past month and not giving up and accomplishing what you did! I hope you are able to rest up and give your body a good break. Remember that the others, or most of them probably, aren't facing the obstacles that you do on a daily basis, so it's no big deal for them and they don't even give it a second thought. Let 'em whoop it up in Vegas, you just kick back and enjoy that recliner and a well deserved rest and come back when you're ready and refreshed!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Atta girl cath, Lol. Git-ir-done
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Cath.

Good job, sounds like you feel accomplished as you should. Hopefully your feeling better by the weekend and can treat yourself to something fun for all the hard work? Don't worry about the vegas deal, sounds boring, or should say been there plenty of times for business and never found it exciting, can think of a million and one other things I would rather do. Different strokes for different folks, though.
  • Yeah, Kelly, the fight or flight definitely took over. The thing is too, that the guy who had this job before me worked tons of overtime and I was not only wanting to get the job done, but with little to no overtime. Well, I got 'er done. I'm very glad you got through your move - I know how tough that's been on you.

It's a good feeling mentally, but not physically.

I'm very glad I proved you wrong, Graham, LOL. So is my bank account.

The good news: Next week is my flex week, so I only work four days and get Friday off, the week after that they give us Friday off for "Annual Conference Appreciation Day" and then the following Friday is my flex day again. So I get three 4-day weeks in a row and I've put in for a vacation day the Thursday before my last flex day, so hopefully just a three day week then.

Ahhhhhh. And I've been to Vegas so many times that they can have it. I can't walk that much any more anyway, expecially right now.

• Cath, I am so happy for you, the sense of accomplishment must feel wonderful :)
    so now rest!
    I feel a kinship, I am also fused from c4-c7 and had a tlif on l4-5 this may. unfortunately I had to do both surgeries back to back... poor choice of words! and I was out too long for my job, they told me they had to replace me.
    I am actually still working thru recovery with shoulder, back and leg pain, so, I couldn't be back there yet.
    funny, they also conference in vegas :) it is a very popular destination for biz!

I hope you can now take a bit of time to rest and recoup in time for your next project. Take good care of yourself and know that you have succeeded!
    Take care, Bonnie
  • Great job Cath, It def gives me hope and encouragement to hear your story. I know you gotta be whipped... Get some rest you deserve it.
  • Looks like you did "Git-ir-done" pain, warts and all! Like Graham I thought you might have quit too based on some of your earlier posts, and too that your work was working with you for your modified work station. Good for you woman!!!

Now try and rest, and put a smile on your face at what you have accomplished. Good job!! Oh, oops, "Atta-Girl!!" :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Wow.... Seriously just try to be careful!! I am the same way.. I will just do the physical work and then pay for it later. I am slowly backing off of it and trying to get others to help me.

Good luck and be careful!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I've been thinking about you and wondering where/how you were--well now I know! I hope that you're feeling better and can get a lot of extra rest this weekend.

I know just how you feel after overworking but also know how good it feels to prove (to ourselves mostly) that we can still do it. So, here's a pat on your back, good job! Now, take care of yourself.

This discussion has been closed.