Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I can not get comfortable!!!! :O(

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I wonder what is going on with my body. :W

I think that I waited too long for surgery? I am having the oddest feelings in both of my feet. It is like they are heavy, and asleep. It is driving me nuts. ~X( . Is this the nerves waking up?

Also, no matter if I lay down, sit, ect. I can not get comfortable. I have to sit here at my computer chair, the couch (it is leather, not sure if that matters) has recliner chairs in it, and I sit in the chair, and I can not get comfortable at all.

I am having heavy legs, and feet. My left side that always bothered me is now also on my right. On a good note, I got on the treadmill and walked a mile. I did it for half a hour. I am used to going much faster than 2.2 miles per hour, but I will do this for now.

Sorry for complaining, I think my body is hating me now :S

• I rented a hospital bed for a month. I used pillows to elevate my legs, I put ice packs on my feet and legs. I took pain meds as much as possible, I had people roll me every 20 minutes, I placed king pillows behind my back for support, I used heating pads, I took showers and the water felt great, but, after the showers was exhausted. It will get better...it just takes time. The first few days are killers, the next few weeks are not much better, but, then gradually it does get better! At 2months I was feeling pretty damn good. I felt as though I was way ahead of schedule. Fever, chills, lightening bolts shooting down my legs not stop for weeks replaced by hand grenades going off from knee to toes and finally now just electric shocks all the time from shin to toes. Lightning to electric shocks is a huge improvement...not kidding! Just be patient, if you don't see any improvement over the next few days/weeks, definitely go back to your Dr or seek another Dr that will listen to you. I hope you feel better really soon. Thinking of you
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Give your body time to like you again! Its amazing what happens to your body after surgery. There are so many 'other' things that come into play.

Things will improve.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was telling my husband about the leg and feet problem, he said that is something that may never go away................UHM that is NOT what I wanted to hear!!!!!

I do get pains, like now on the side of my foot where it feels like a needle is being pushed in, and out. The funny thing is that before surgery, I wasn't in pain like this!

I guess it is true that the body kind of wakes up! I hope it continues to wake up, and get better!!!!
  • Heidi,

Nerves suck when it comes to healing. They only heal around 1mm a day, and if you look that is tiny! They also don't like being pinched, crunched or entrapped, and they will let you know they are angry and trying to wake up.

Plus our bodies just went through some pretty active trauma!! Like my surgeon reminded me this morning (he briefs me every morning) I am going to feel some odd things, and sometimes painful and spasms of course (had em last night....all night) etc. I told him about my getting behind on the meds, and the area where my thoracic and cervical were fused really hurt, so lesson learned. (G)

As for comfy. You'll have to experiment. So far believe it or not, my neck is acting like it did for my C5/6 - my body likes to be reclined. I thought it would hurt like hell to lay back on the incision in the back of my skull and neck, but so far so good in the reclined position.

Like Rascal said, see about renting a hospital bed until everything settles down. I hope you're comfortable soon. Gentle supporting *HUGZ* for ya!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I know time seems to be going by slowly for you!

It was well over a month before I could sit on any surface and only for brief periods of time.

My daughter brought out her mattress from her room and put it close so we could watch tv together ors he could see me while she was doing her own thing.

Hang in there! It will get better!
  • I went to walmart with my husband today, and no cart this. time to ride in. I walked all around, I have to say that I am in in pain! I even got up this morning to get the kids off to school (hubby has been doing it).

I HURT!!! :''(

I really thought at first that I was doing great, and I was cured. HA! I was a fool......... :))( .

I know in time it will heal, and praying to be much better...Until then I guess I will be stubborn.

As for a bed, I lay down upstairs in mine. So much more comfortable. We have a very big house, and I pretty much stayed upstairs for the most part for the first few days I was home.

As for the nerves healing.....holy crap!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
  • Heidi,

Sorry about the pain you're in. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that it gets better. Big, but gentle *HUGZ* woman!!

• I just took some more meds! Are you still in the hospital? I am sure that you are getting good relief? It must be weird to have your neck not being able to turn? Am I right? Ouch to all of us!!!!!!! >:D<
  • You're Welcome Heidi. Yep still in the hospital (out of ICU). They are transferring me via ambulance to the after care facility here around 5pm. I will be there between 2 and 3 weeks - maybe more, but my surgeon doesn't feel more than 3 will be needed. I guess we're about to see, as this is totally new to me.

Glad to see you got your medications. I did learn the hard way NOT to get behind in the healing stages. Holey hell is that painful! And that is being nice. Maybe that is some of what is going on with you. All the driving and such, can't take narcs, so you start to ramp up? I hope you can rest and get some relief. *HUGZ*

• Check in when you get there, and let us know what it is like! I would have liked to do something like that, but girl, you went through a big mess.

I will hang in there, you too!!!! >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I just got a great wedge pillow to prop me up in bed, so you think something like that will help? I hope you heal completely and know the first few weeks are pretty rough for healing. Great to hear you're doing the treadmill I hope it helps with your legs. Praying for you, take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN