Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

failed backffailed back Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, Im having my ACDF on C5-C6 on tuesday morning.Can any neckie tell me what there recovery was like and how long till they were back eating good again?

• Best of luck with your surgery. I am lower back so not sure about neck surgery. But time frame will depend on the outcome of surgery i would think same as back. Everyone will be diferent time recovery, Best wishes,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    C4/C5 and the C6/C7, so I am a multi level cervical patient with titanium plates and screws.

Prior to my cervical surgeries, I had 4 lumbar. I felt that I took a lot longer to recoup from my lumbar surgeries.

With the ACDF, 6 to 8 weeks in a hard collar (today, many doctors dont use collars), along with physical therapy I was in pretty good shape.

My last ACDF was in 2000, and the only impact it has on me today is range of motion side to side. It makes it a challenge while driving.

But, all the headaches, pain, discomfort, loss of control of my hands, etc all went away after the ACDF surgeries.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi!

I had acdf in June. C4-5. I actually had barely any problems eating post op. The morning following my surgery I tried to order bacon and all kind of breakfast items. They wouldn't let me order the bacon because it was "sharp" haha. I ate a (barely) toasted english muffin and pancakes and other stuff. I only had to swallow a couple times to get the bread down. It wasn't a big deal at all. I even gained 10 months in the first month and a half post op!! (not good).

Anyway... Good luck. You are in the final stretch. Anxiety of the unknown is much worse than the actual surgery.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • My first fusion was C5/6. I was most comfortable when reclined, was out of work for 6 weeks, then back with light duty restriction until I fused (law enforcement). I didn't have any real problems with food surprisingly. We're all a little different.

I had a collar for 2 weeks, then soft for 2 more weeks, then none. I did sleep in the hard collard for a few weeks - was comfortable and mentally comforting for me as well! I will send you positive energy of good fortune for you. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes I have had lumbar fusion way back,Im just not looking foward to it,and now its just a overnight stay.
  • I had a c6/7 acdf and was eating soft foods that night. I had a bit of a sore throat the next day but nothing as bad as you might be worried about. I have been out of work for 3 weeks and plan to go back to work this monday! I am nervous but I will just take it slow and wear a soft collar to just prevent kids from bumping me too hard ( Im a teacher)

Good luck!