Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depression worst but

ethanethan Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Depression and Coping
Here are my few own, personal suggestions for people facing depression problems as I am well aware of the fact that depression is worst and drains out one’s energy, dreams and hope.
Here is what I used to do, simply I used to exercise, went for a walk and used to spent time with my friends, because recovering from depression requires action and motivation. For more comfort, I avoided the urge to isolate, used to take healthy foods, and some other activities like lot of surfing on internet and reading books etc.
Although it is slow, but affective and after that self-therapy, I used to feel far more stable and comfortable and I recommend this to you. Have a sound life…

• All that sounds good with most people who are able to walk and exercise and stay active,

I think most are cought in a catch 22 with chronic pain where if you are not able to exercise because pain is so bad then thats the reason for the depression to begin with,

Isolation is bad i am sure for anyone, But if you are mostly house bound and can only get out for very short time do to the pain then it would be very safe to say the pain is causing the depression,

In my view if pain is not under control nobody is happy and not somewhat depressed about being in pain, Many of us dont suffer from depression. We are simply hurting and lets face it. Pain is pain, If we were happy about being in chronic pain, then we would simply be crazy,

No on the flip side if someone is abke to be active and exercise and pain is not the cause of there depression then thats another issue of itself, then yes they need to get back in the swing of things and stay active and exercise and eat healthy and enjoy being around other people,

I am assuming most who are here are mostly depressed because of there pain issues from spine related problems,

Sometimes its easy to tell a person you need to do this and that but we never realy know a persons true medical condition and what surounds them in life,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I don't get depressed when I can't go out or can't do things for the most part any ways.

I get very depressed when I can't get my OMG levels of pain under control. When that happens I spin down ward pretty darn fast :(

I have dark thoughts, cry, scream, hit my pillow, swear and repeat the above until finally my body responds to my sleeping meds and I am knocked out.

Thankfully most of the time morning brings a lower pain level and more sane thoughts ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I am housebound for a bit, due to my lung issues.
    I agree with ya Alex if I could get out and do things with others or just get out I would in a minute, and I wouldn't feel so down.

Instead my pains very much out of control. My reg. doc sent me back to my pulmonary doc who asap put me on oxygen..till he can find out the cause. It seems i'm fine when i'm laying down or sitting(which can't do that due to severe pain in legs) when i move about just walking my levels drop.

Once I'm over this nasty bug I will get to my indoor pool that makes me feel so very good. Even just walking which I have a portable oxygen , will be tricky cause the things not light, and I'm not suppose to lift, kinda catch 22 for sure.

I get very depressed due to my family has suffer along with me, they were all pretty spoiled I managed the household and worked 2 different jobs to work around their schedules.
    I would be lying if I said there are many days I cry but it is so due to the pain, and not living the life I had. It is certainly a hard mourning period, wish someone could tell me how long this will last. I know I can't go out and work, I keep busy on my computer, and do few businesses... still feel like life is just moving past me.

okay enough poor me shit
    in the words of good spiney friend git-er-done
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Mary, so sorry you're going through added problems with your health! Having to carry oxygen is so hard. And add everything else to the stuff you've had to deal with.
    I lost a very close and dear friend to breast cancer. This was a true friend. We were best friends for 40 years. We were pregnant with daughters together. As they say, life was good! One day I woke up, and my wonderful good life stopped!
    The call no parent wants, "we have bad new's, we found your daughter dead in her dorm room." That was Dec.16,1998, she was 19 and my youngest.
    Anyone who has lost a child knows this, your life will never be the same!
    Even today, it hurts so bad. I bring this up, because my friend who died of cancer, would say to me, "Cancer is awful and the pain I'm having is really bad, but nothing like your pain of the loss of a child." We would cry for each other and I would tell her, you cannot compare pain, I've never had cancer...
    I've battled mental depression long before I knew about any kind of spine pain, and the mental pain that it brings! The sadness and mental pain is so different than the physical spine pain sadness... I have fought mental sadness with everything you can think of, exercising( pilates, yoga) counciling, antidepressants...
    Now the physical spine pain battle, it is soooooooo different!!!
    Spine pain, as a Foe,to battle, is tough! It fights me in dirty ways, my exercising, (pilates & yoga) the spine refuses it, but I still do what I can, ( not what I need, but what my spine allows)! I don't find anything easy to do. I keep searching for the Blend, that will gave me some relief for the mental and physical pain. There is no silver bullet, no quick fixes, no pill, no surgery!!! I agree with Alex. The pain stops us from normal things. It try's to keep us from doing even the smallest things. I hate to feel sad or depressed, it is hard to do things that would bring us some happiness! We don't want pain or depression, it chose us. We fight it every day, I know I do. Some days are easier than others. And I know, there are so many people in worse conditions than me. That's why, like Mary said, enough about self-pity. We have to keep trying, even if it's baby steps!!!
    Take care all, I wish and pray for everyone to have less or no pain, mental, physical or both, Brenda C. Sorry this post is so long!

• Brenda like you I too have lost a child (actually I buried 3 children of mine before I was 35 yrs old - ages 15 yrs, 7 months, and 3rd one was only 5 weeks old)

I don't count my depression about this when I post here as it is a totally different type of depression - as you know :(

If you ever need an ear I am here :hug:
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I am so sorry you have lost 3 children. Life is so hard. Do you have other children? I have 2 grown children, they gave me so much pride and happiness. I can't bare the thought of something happening to them. I agree this is a site for spine pain. Physical and mental pain can bring equal amounts of deep pain and depression. I'm here for you too. Take care, Brenda
  • edited for spam by tam.