Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone else have complete numbness?

pinetarppinetar Posts: 10
My left leg went numb a year ago and stayed that way. Somehow the disc slipped in my sleep. Even following microdisectomy surgery, three months after herniation, my leg is still numb. I wanted to know how common this was for sciatica sufferers or if I have it worse than most. It's not come and go numbness, or pins and needles. It's complete lost of sensation in my leg.

• the back of my left leg,calf, and heel. have been numb from 3 weeks before my surgery. and still numb today.(2.5 years) but at lest they don't feel like some one is ripping and burning them off any more.
  • I'm similar to John40.
    I lost feeling in my 1/2 my left butt, groin, back thigh to the knee area and left heel to outer toe 2+ years ago when I ruptured my disc. I had 2 MD's at L5/S1 and never got feeling back. The positive is that the burning is gone for the most part unless I sit for more than 1 hour.

It's like you say, just no feeling.

Not sure how far out of surgery you are but they say that the nerve regenerates very slowly so it could take up to 1 to start getting feeling back.

I'm 2 years no felling but there is a small glimmer of hope that I could see improvement one day. I'm just happy the pain is not there.

Cold weather does make my foot numbness annoying. I'm definitely more sensitive to cold in regards to foot numbness.
  • have numbness and loss of movement in my left foot and calf. It is very sensitive to cold and still get the frostbite, burning feeling in it.

You are not alone.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I herinated my L5 S1 almost 3 months ago. I have had a numb foot ever since. Really is annoying.
    I had a spinal epidural 1 month after I herniated the disc. No real relief from the epidural.I'm not
    having any lower back pain so i'm not taking any medication.
    In time does the nerve heal after the dics moved into it? Or is it sooner or later surgery?
    Thanks for any input. I do feel for all of us. This
    is no fun.
  • D nice. My numbness is identical to yours. 1 year after after my microdisectomy I've gotten about 2 inches of sensation back in my thigh as well as some sensation back in my groin but my left buttocks from my groin down to my knee is completely numb. For almost a year post surgery I was still getting the terrible sciatic pain and my lower back was also nearly completely immobile. Unable to bend over and sometimes unable to get out of bed in the morning. I still hair flair ups of pain but it is much more manageable now. I'm hoping that in the future the nerves will become more use to the preexisting nerve damage and won't cause me so much pain. The numbness is depressing for me but I can deal with it as long as I'm not in pain.