Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

They're sending me to a neurologist.

jgamble0007jjgamble0007 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
When my MRI Results came back, it said I had 3 bulging discs, encroachment (tightly hugging my thecal sac) of c6-c7 with osteophyte (Arthritis or bone spur?). I also have Scoliosis(not in Cervical area). My accident completely straightened my neck, twisted it slightly and now my head is not sitting on my neck correctly so my neck is tilted to the side.

The accident happened on Sept 20, it hasn't even been a month and Arthritis has already set up. I'm scared about how 'ing I feel like I'm a ticking time bomb waiting to move the wrong way and BAM I'm paralyzed. My neck is still popping and cracking and it scares me to death. They don't know if my condition is going to get worse or not, so they're sending me to neurologist to get more of an opinion.

I know the opinions I seek are form non-professionals. But I want to know anyone who has had experience with this kind of condition with cervical spine or has seen someone else go through it. I'm only 24, and they said I'll probably be on a watch and wait type of thing to see how it progresses. I just don't want to be working, driving or doing anything if I know there's a chance it could make it worse. I guess I'm just really worried.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Correction:

*I'm scared about how it's going to turn out. I feel like I'm a ticking time bomb waiting to move the wrong way and BAM I'm paralyzed.

• Im kinda in the same boat. I have been to neurologists that have added me meds, but its the neurosurgeon that would do the surgery if it was needed. I've felt the same about becoming paralyzed, you know a simple slip or becoming hit. I only say you should go with the docs you feel will help you the most and best wishes to you and know you aren't alone.
  • HI,

Don't pay to much attention to what the MRI, findings are but rather your symptoms. As far as the bone spur, just about anyone over the age of 20 your going to find some type of arthritis on imaging. What is more important is what type of symptoms your having? What types of treatments have you tried so far? surgery of the spine is no magic pill, sometimes it can lead to additional issues such as adjacent disc disease. Given your age I am sure that has a lot to do with them wanting to try conservative type treatments first.

Go into the nuerologist with a positive idea that they can help you and no surgery would be needed. There are many of us here whom went for one surgery and then other levels and problems occurred causing the need for more surgeries. Keep in mind the thecal sac is very strong, and can with stand lots of pressure. You can't live your life in a bubble, thinking something might happen, and it doesn't. I am sure if all conservative type treatments fail, they will think about surgery, if your still having pain or your symptoms progress further. I can also understand being worried and confused. When you see the nuero ask them what is your prognosis? What are the odds something will happen? Make a list of questions you need answered and be prepared to ask them. There is a link in the FAQ section "preparing to meet with a spine surgeon and also one on 38 questions to ask a surgeon". While I know your not having surgery, the articles will help to form questions to ask.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.
  • wow was in the same situation years ago.
  • I am currently doing therapy with my chiro, ice/eletro, along with ultrasound and traction. I just LOVE the large massager :D
    My list of symptoms, I'm sure are quite common:

I can't lay down without pain. I don't sleep well, I'm currently using a memory foam curved pillow and it's better but still not back to normal.

Sitting or standing for too long irritates my condition, so does looking down or up. I have limited range of motion, along with burning pains if I try to look over my shoulder, esp while driving.

I have trouble breathing with my diaphragm. I can't sing like I used to, you should see me in walmart - I feel like I'm running a marathon but I'm barely going.

I have tingling and numbness/weakness in my right arm - pins and needles too along with shooting sharp pain.

Pain in the top of my shoulders, and down my mid back to my blades.

Headaches - usually involving my eyes and the base of my head, those are quite annoying. Also neck pain as well, at shoulder level the most.

Let's not forget the fun dizziness, blurred vision, and light headed problems- When I get up, sit down, walk move etc it makes it worse most of the time. I live in a Appalachian state so hills are not my friend here.

I have brain fog, I can't think or speak right. I am very depressed.

I am hoping to get into the neuro soon, so I can paint a better picture of what is going on. I in NO WAY want surgery, I will avoid it by any and all means. I've heard of too many hack jobs with spinal fusions.