Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal fusion surgery

bettyubbettyu Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had spinal fusion surgery over a year ago L5-S1 for severe pain with severe disc degeneration with vertebral changes. am better than I have been in years. I can hike, horseback ride, garden, mow, etc. I was hesitant to have this surgery as the recovery is long and I heard some unsuccessful stories, but it was well worth it,
just thought i would let others know

• Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!! I just had the same 3 weeks ago,and am looking forward to being much better. :D
  • G'day Bettyu,

I am so happy you are doing well. I am 8 weeks post op spinal fusion and laminectomy. Other than a dull ache in the region of the fusion and the odd nerve pain I feel great. I am so much better than pre op.I was in so much pain and had parathesia in my lower left leg which has all gone except for a small section , I was prepared for some permanent damage due to previous doctors not doing anything about my problem because they they said it was all in my head. I never gave up and after 7.5 years of misery I was sent to a spinal surgeon who said I needed surgery ASAP. He was disgusted that my problem was fobbed off , he said unfortunately because it was left for so long, I will have some damage. I respect him so much for his honesty. My surgeon was so supported and compassionate towards me. I have been off narcotics since 3 weeks post op, all I take now are gabapentine (300mg) a night and the odd panadol , maybe 2 evry second or third day . Everyone keeps telling me I look so much younger in my face, and that I don't have that look of pain anymore. I am following my surgeons and physio's advice to the letter . Life is great for me now and will get even better. I am so happy I had my surgery even though the recovery is a long one . If I feel this good now the mind boggles to think how I will feel in a year or two's time. I wish you continued good health and pain free days.

Take care >:D< >:D<
    From Lynette ( Western Australia )

25th August 2011.....Spinal Fusion and Laminectomy L4 L5 with beautiful bling attached lol
  • G'day Heidi,
    I wish you all the best for a great recovery and pain free days.

Take care >:D<
    Lynette ( Western Australia )

25th August 2011 spinal fusion and laminectomy L4 L5 with beautiful bling accessory attached :D
  • Thank you thank you for your posts, Betty and Lynette. I am so happy to hear of good results.
    So much anxiety comes before the procedure, it helps heaps to hear from folks with results that are good.

Lynette, I hear you about doctors telling you its in your head. I got that a lot, too. Until I went to an ortho, had an MRI, and found that I had an 80% degenerated disk. It was a combination of relief and disbelief that it actually wasn't in my head after hearing that from doctors for so many years.
  • good results are nice to hear about thank you for taking time to post your results. i no there has to be more with good outcomes we just don't hear from them any more.(there out playing).
    my self i no i probably should just go ahead and do it (L4-5&L5-s1)but the last 2 docs wear not to sure i would come out much better. and i can still walk and pain meds still work most the time kinda.
  • Thanks for letting us know. I am hoping that I might make a sustained recovery now that the infected hardware is out. Might be I will get back to normal too. It is success stories that keep us going through the dark days!
  • Good to hear from you and that you're enjoying life again.

I'm 2 years out and enjoying life too.

It's always encouraging to hear success stories because it takes such a long time to heal and often we have to make changes in our life. Good on you being able to be so active and enjoying riding your horse.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • So good to finally come across a forum which has positive comments about this surgery.

I am currently 6 weeks post op myself, after having a l5-s1 fusion using pedicle screws and rods to remove a crushed disc which had not healed after laminectomy/microdiscectomy 2 years earlier.

Before the surgery I was in constant pain with burning nerve pain radiating all the way down my left leg and across my right buttock, and if I made any kind of sudden movement I could feel the vertebre almost dislocating or something. It literally felt like my back would collapse. As a result I wore a spinal corset with steel rods and couldnt walk without a cane.

Now I am walking 2-3km per day, I can drive for upto an hr at a time, and am going to start hydro and physio next week.

I think that this surgery really requires a positive outlook and a strong desire to return to normal life, I myself am planning to return to playing sports in due time.

If anyone out there is worried/scared and putting off this procedure, dont believe all of the horror stories. There are so many of them out there because the majority of ppl who do have this procedure done just get on with life and never come onto forums to complain.

Your choice of surgeon plays a big part too, and I have to that Dr edit in Sydney for doing such a great job, he certainly is a miracle worker.

I am really happy to read all of your success stories and may you continue to live your lives to the fullest.

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by Authority Member Liz
  • It's great to hear about happy endings. I'm glad you are doing so well in your recovery. It's great to hear positive outcomes from all us spineys!!
  • Great to hear! I agree not enough say the good news. I was nervous getting back on the site because I hear so much not good news. I also feel greatful for my fusions! I had it done twice, but only because of slow bone growth. I am now a triathelete and do almost what I did before! I stil have pain but nothing like I had before. I now say.... you can't start to recover until you have the surgery! Why would you wait!"

I am having my hardware out, hoping that will move me to the next level to kick the last bit of pain away!

Blessing to you and to you getting your life back!