Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery FINALLY Scheduled for November 19th!!!

TrixieMamaTTrixieMama Posts: 64
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello my friends!

Well, after 11 1/2 months of going back and forth with WC, I am finally authorized and scheduled for surgery. What initially was going to be a one level fusion of the L4/L5 secondary to unstable grade 2 spondy has now potentially progressed to a two level fusion including L5/S1. As it turns out, since it has taken so long to get scheduled for surgery I now have developed a grade 1 spondy at the L5/S1 level. Originally my surgeon had said i'd likely need another fusion in 5-10 years for that level but when I got the authorization, it appears he has gone ahead and gotten it authorized anyway as a possible need (based on wording). I must say after having several sub par doctors it is nice to know that the surgeon I finally chose is going in prepared for the possibility of things being worse than suspected which I really appreciate!

Anyway, I would love to find some buddies to friend up with on this journey. If anyone would like to buddy up for support, I would greatly appreciate it :) This is going to be a long journey and I would love to make some friends along the way!

Thanks so much for reading my post. Have a blessed night <3

• Hi,

I have had 3 fusions and am fused L1-S1. I have lots of other issues (see my list at bottom). Its not easy having a fusion but it certainly has helped me. I have had both front and back incisions, one 360 so I feel like they should have just put a zipper in.

I am now having problems with my SI joint, which was the original problem due to being knocked unconscious by a snowboarder. Over the years my spine started deteriorating, hence the fusions. There is now too much pressure on the SI joint (just a big block of bone sitting on top of it). I am going thru cortisone injections (am at the end of them and will have to go to prolotherapy and then RF ablation (both of which I have had without much luck). But I never had luck with cortisone til this summer when I had it in the SI joints so you never know.

Many people experience problems above or below a fusion and some people have one fusion and never have any more issues.

I can tell you all the things you will need when you get out of the hospital. It is a very long recovery and sometimes very frustrating. Just when you think you will never get better bingo you are better!!

Having good core strength going into surgery is very important and to keep it up afterwards. Besides my exercises I swim. It is wonderful to be weightless.

You can PM me with any comments or questions.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hi Jani!

It is so nice to meet you! Thank you so much for responding and for offering support! Yay!

I forgot to mention that my fusion will be a 360 as well! Wow, I have so many questions! I will send you a pm right now :)

Hugs to you my friend and thank you so much! Knowing someone who has gone through what i'm about to go through and who can give me sound wisdom from experience is exactly what I need! This is such a hard journey, physically, mentally and emotionally!

Thanks again hun, i'm going to pm you <3
  • Kimberly,

Sorry to hear about your back and for the W.C. issues. Dealing with them is a painful experience in itself. While my situation is not exactly like yours i am set for a fusion at l5-s1 next friday. I have a post on here discribing my story in great detial. Anyway, just wanted to let you know i am going to do a series of videos and put them on youtube. The day before, in the hospital, the day after.. That kind of thing. Since im going in before you just thought it might help. I will post a link sometime next week. Stay positive and hope you find relief soon.

• Hi Ryan!

Thanks so much for responding and for sharing your upcoming surgery info with me! I will keep you in my prayers and am looking forward to lending support in any way I can :) I added you as a buddy and hope to be able to follow you on your journey, both here and on YouTube!

Best wishes and many blessings for a successful surgery/fusion are headed your way! You stay positive as well and I hope that your relief comes quickly and with as little residual pain as possible. Please let me know if I can be of any help/support to you <3

• Hey Kimberly,

Thank you very much for all your kind words. I really appreciate the support. Also, the same goes for you. If you have any questions or anything else i can do please let me know. I have found that everyone on here is extremely nice and supportive, back pain and surgery can be very difficult. I think people that experience it share a connection. I feel for everyone on here, just dont spend to much time reading all the negative outcomes. Many people have very positive outcomes and never return to this site. This Friday is creeping up on me rather fast. I will keep you posted. Take care