Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did we need it? Or do we want it?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Matters of the Heart
I have found that talking with members over the years that there is a fine line between:

Do we need to have it (a surgery)
De we want to have it!

Sounds a bit crazy doesnt it? But you would be surprised that there are many folks that after having some spinal problems and surgeries look for reasons to have more!.

I've seen MRI's that dont support what someone is saying, I've read things that clearly indicate that the person really wants to have another surgery. A couple of years ago, we had someone here that had some spinal problems and surgeries like many of us. But they had a mission. They wanted to have MORE surgeries and have MORE problems than other people have.

I believe most of us who have experienced spinal surgery will do whatever is necessary to avoid another one. I can not understand, nor do I really want to understand why some people want more spinal surgeries!

It gets to the point where some folks may say or document things do not make sense, or that they seem so far fetched in the scope of medical conditions. Or to the extreme, when a person has a MRI and the report comes back clean, they are not happy and want another MRI and another and another until the report comes back bad.

I do believe that most people, if not 99% of the people I come in contact with only want to be pain free and avoid any additional surgery.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Welcome home Ron. Hope vacation went well!

In ref: of wanting surgery or needing surgery! I would hope every dr would refuse to do surgery if it was not needed, But who knows,

If anyone has surgery thats not realy needed but dr was talked in to it, they need to see a shrink, Thats a fact,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Ron,

Interesting subject, and I do think it is a important question and is more a rhetorical question? I think anyone can doctor shop enough that they will find someone some place to operate on them, if they continue to look. The one thing someone forgets is surgery is no magic pill and can make someone worse, and if done for the wrong reasons may not even address the pain issues.

I think it is crucial for a doctor to find the pain generator before proceeding to any surgery. But we all know that there are doctors whom may not do this. There is also the psuedo effect of surgery, that can happen. I will never forget the member whom said sense they couldn't have surgery they wouldn't post any longer, as they were to jealous. Sadly they wanted surgery no matter what the doctor was suggesting. Sure there are cases that doctors won't operate and then they see another surgeon and they will and the person gets better. But as I said above the exact opposite could happen that one wakes up in worse shape than they started in.

I just finished arguing last week for a injection in place of being sent back to the surgeons, as i am no where near ready for surgery, just need a break with the pain, is all, and hopefully reset the pain clock.
  • Well this is kind of interesting, Like what js the fine line between dr shoping and simply geting a 2nd or posibly 3 rd or even 4 th opinion?

How will you ever know if you know you have some pain issues and you go from dr to dr and 1 finaly agrees that his idea of whats causing the pain is finaly the answer, Even if other dr,s did not agree or seen it,

So the problem becomes its easier to believe a dr who says he can help then a dr who offers up nothing,

I guess the smartest thing would be is to find at least 2 dr,s that agree on the same surgery. But i think by the time most of us find at least 1 dr who offers up something, we are already wore out from geting opinions and suffering with our pain so surgery becomes an easy sale,

If its a surgery thats realy not going to help someone and dr does it anyways, I cant realy blame the patient for the dr,s actions, After all a patient is just a patient,

Bottom line is when you are in pain you go to dr to dr wanting answers and a fix,
    Its each dr,s job to refuse it of surgery is not going help anything,

But if a patient after geting many opinions and finaly 1 dr says ok i can help, Who can realy say for sure this was now a big mistake, No Patient can posibly know this,
    If they kept looking for a dr to help its posible they finaly got a dr to agree to something thats not realy needed, But of course you want to believe this dr is smarter then the other dr,s because at least he is offering you hope,

But sure when a person says i need surgery even when every dr is saying no you dont, thats just simply nuts,

But as i said there is a fine line what is just simply geting many opinions and what is looking for a dr to do a surgery that you dont need,

And nobody in the world will know what that fine line is, because its the drs responsibility not the patients,

If you call someone out because you think your furnace is broke but its working fine, Then its the furnace guys job not to fix it and tell you it dont need fixing,

So whats the leson learned from this story?

If your dr cant fix your spine, Call him maybe he can fix your furnace,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • This is a really interesting topic. You all know what my predicament is at the moment, so know that in the coming months, this is going to be a question that I'll be facing. I don't want another surgery. That's a fact. Even with my arm the way it is, and the pain I have, I still don't even know if I need it. Do I have permanent damage? I have had some improvement, but none in the past couple of months. At this point I really don't know what to do, and as you know am waiting for my 2nd and 3rd opinions. I think it's important to get the other opinions so that you have them to weigh all information and pros and cons. Unless of course, you are just doctor shopping and looking for that answer that you want to hear. It's a hard call. If 2 doctors say no, and a 3rd says yes, as Alex says, it's hard to say, is that 3rd one actually better than the other two, or is he a "cowboy" in the OR? That's when it's up to the patient to do their homework and check out the surgeon's history and track record. My personal feeling is it's always better to have an odd number of opinions, you know, for the tie breaker, but the majority rules.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    be educated in terms of spinal conditions, treatments and the various types of surgery.

If you do not understand whats going on, its almost impossible to make a decision and you will probably say yes to the first opinion.

An analogy could be.... You know nothing about cars, you bring it in for service. The mechanic tells you
    component X is bad, causing component Y to malfunction, which in turned broke your exhaust pipe.
    Not a major problem, it will cost you only $3,500!
    Well, if you had no idea what they were talking about, you might just go ahead have the work done and pay for it.

But this is not why I am talking about here. I am talking about educated patients, who understand their situation. But for whatever reason they WANT another surgery. It may even be a medical borderline case, but as has been pointed out here already, if you shop around enough you will find a doctor who will operate.

Its the mindset I dont understand from people who WANT another surgery. Its easier to understand when its patients who NEED another surgery because of their condition.

Sometimes, I think those that want it might have more than spinal related problems.

No spinal surgery, in fact hardly any surgery is a Walk in the Park. There are risks anytime our bodies are opened up.

For me, if you are going to open me up, there better be a darn good reason for it and the outlook looks promising.
  • It shouldn't be a big surprise on a website like this one. I think I remember which one Ron means. She had several surgeries. Then the last one she all but said she was on the 7th or so surgeon because none of them would listen... The last one 'listened' and agreed he should do exactly what she said he should do. After all it was obvious to her. That just shows a nut case and another person with no scruples wanting to make a buck.

We've had one that had surgeries to make sure she could get disability. She didn't want to work. Not uncommon either.

Why stop there though. Since you're pointing out that craziness exists here. Let's see. There are currently nut cases on here that come in every time they have a meltdown. They should be committed or post on a mental health site, not a spine site. Then those who use spinal problems as the excuse their life has gone bad.

Why not add the pills to this. That's the glaringly obvious one, not surgeries. How many on here are telling doctors what they "need" when it is what they "want". Some posts are so blatantly drug seeking it's pathetic.

For the most part there are genuinely honest people here who simply need help. The percentage that are "surgery seekers" pales in comparison to the "drug seekers".

Let's not forget the ones on here who are just desperate for attention. They overplay their health just to get sympathy and attention.

Sprinkle in some hypochondriacs who post about every last little thing. There's more of those than surgery seekers too.

Surgery seeking here appears to be the least concern, but definitely crazy to do so.
  • lol It sounds like you are talking about my dad...lol. Since he retired he has become a doctors best friend. He has had several major and minor heart procedures that were necessary. He has had carpal tunnel on both hands and knee surgery and eye surgery...these were questionable. He also has a reason to see a doctor at least once a month.

I think these patients have to be very trying on a doctors patience :)

In his case I think it is a combination of boredom and attention seeking. There is always a hint of cause behind his problems. But are these things that really justify surgery?

My experience has been somewhat different. I have had several surgeries in my life, some necessary and some more elective. But I think I had them because the benefits outweighed the risks. 30 years ago I had hammer toe surgery. The benefit was a personal one of having straighter toes that fit better in shoes. I could have lived with it but it made many things easier and better for me so it was worth a few weeks of discomfort. 8 years ago I had knee surgery because I had a shattered knee cap. This was more necessary because of the level of pain but I could have waited or skipped it. In my mind it was better to "fix" the problem. My spine surgery was unusual and it took several doctors before I found one who would do the surgery. No one doubted the problem but some would not consider it because of the location. Again I felt it was something that needed to be "fixed". This one is probably the biggest question in my mind because the results were not good. But it's easy to look back and see that.

I think we need to rely on the medical professionals to decide what is needed and what is not. Doctors who perform surgery that is not necessary or appropriate should be punished. Insurance companies often provide this level of approval but they also need to be monitored to make sure they are not just watching their bottom line.

I've said it before -- If one person says something you should listen and consider. If two people say the same thing you need to stop and think really hard. If more people say the same thing you are probably wrong and better figure out why.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    It's funny you should say that Ron. I was just talking with my sister the other day and she told me I should go see Dr X, an orthopedic surgeon and find out what's wrong with my back. I told her I would but I'd be afraid he'd either want to do surgery or think I wanted him to! First and foremost I'd just like to know what the heck causes this pain!

I do understand what you're saying though. I know people like that and also remember who you're referring to here. I don't get it either.

• I think I know who you are talking about Graham. Haven't seen her for a while on here though either?

I know myself that I had at least 4 (turned out to 6) opinions before my surgery. I knew at around 4.5 months that something wasn't right from my additional levels fusion, but was blown off by my surgeon.

I went back to my original Neurologist, and when he saw (?) [didn't tell me what], I was once again blown off. At that point I went the surgery route for my opinions. Thanks to the various tests I was sent through, it was pretty obvious that there were issues of non union, but that was all. A dear friend on here suggested I go to an Orthopedic spine surgeon who was specialized in complex spine revisions/reconstructions vs the Neuro side of the house.

Thanks to him (Dave-Metalneck) not only did he confirm I was a mess with a non-union, but that I had a pseudo joint where my fusion should have been, and destabilized the whole shibang. I bring this up, as you can see by my avatar, I ended up with instead of a 3 level redo, a 5 level posterior with lamies. Now...

Need/want/need...surgery. After all this, I was pretty much where I *had* to have surgery, else risk paralysis or even death if I fell or had a moderate car (impact) accident - not the kind of life anyone should have to worry with. Additionally this surgery stopped the progression of myelopathy, and was to also re-stabilize my vertebra/neck. So, I am one that in the end needed it, and yep....wanted it to have my life back.

So I guess the need/want should be used more judiciously is my feelings here. I wouldn't wish this surgery and recovery on my worse enemy, but too will not be made to feel bad that in the end I wanted it to help secure what level of life my spine is at, and the security of my life that I can fall like Joe yahoo and not be in a chair due to it.

Just my two cents... :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi brenda. How the hell are ya? Glad you out of surgery and hope all is going well,

Z06. Oh oh graham is on to me lol. I seriously cant tell often on some posts whats there real issue. If it is just drugs or not. Its very hard to make it out sometimes,
    But when medical condition is not mentioned just drugs drugs drugs then i become a litle weary,

In many cases there is no way to realy know what a persons issue is all around because there posts is all over the map and many times i just cant make it out when they mention every condition known to man kind,

Many people here now talk more in medical term then my dr, Its way over my head in many cases and i think a rather keep it that way, I dont want to make it my life to understand it all because i am not planing on being a dr and i am realy not willing to corrupt my brain needing to know all the terms,

I have my own pain to deal with rather then understanding every condition known to man kind,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Howdy Alex! Doing much better now that I am back in the hospital (hoping to be sprung Tuesday!!), and my pain management is back under control. IF it stays that way, homeward bound I will be. Sorry for the quick hijack there Ron.

I agree with you too Alex in the "Doctor speak"... I am guilty I know of some of that. I've been poked and prodded enough that I decided to learn this stuff so they aren't speaking "Greek" to me. I think, like myself, some of that translates onto here. :)

I too like you, "don't see medical issues for why here", or "medical issues" period that would cause the need, or "what should I tell the doctor I need for pain?!?" etc., my radar comes up too Alex - I think many here can side with your feelings there.... *HUGZ*

Doing better in baby steps...thanks for asking!! :)

• I agree for sure when more then 1 dr tells someone something they beter get there listening ears on. Because 1 dr could be wrong but 2 dr,s saying the same thing confirms there has to be some truth to it,

What i noticed in my 2 years here is so often the advise is call your dr even when that person is already under the care of a dr And its not like they have not had follow up visit with there dr after there surgery or procedure of any kind,

When some of the complaints are sometimes somewhat normal after a surgery and dr already knows about it there is no use in calling the dr to complain about something he already knows about, and anything beyond that will be brought to his attention next dr visit,

The posts that scare me is when someone says, I am way too bad to have surgery,
    Last i looked you have to be bad enough to have surgery, There is no such thing as i am so bad they wont do surgery,

When someone says my dr wont listen to me, Is it posible its the other way around, Dr might have heard everything loud and clear. Its the patient that has to listen to what the dr has to say,

If someone knows beter then the dr then they should just simply treat themself,

Spine health is a great place to vent and you know people do understand, But that also only goes so far. As anything else in life, Too much of anything is not healthy,
    And talking about your health and pain day in day out is in no way a solution or healthy for the mind,

The brain can lock in on a persons pain and every ache and discomfort in there life and cant let go, This in my view is 1 of the causes that brings on the depression in many,

Sometimes thinking outside the box of a persons health issues is the key to beter health,

If you hurt and afraid to walk because you might fall? If you fall you fall. You can get back up,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hey Papa Ron,
    I sure know those types you are referring to.
    I have heard people even chatting in my surgeons waiting area, oh oh Looking at the Mri results I know I need surgery.
    Even after all the tests, scans I have had the actual reports, scare me. They make look as if your falling apart.
    As for me I'm jumping for joy nothing showed up on my last scan. (they still searching for some answers but yippie not my spine)ok not jumping Yet.
    I have seen some wachos that thrive on the attention of a hospital staff or just being in the hospital. I had few roomies they laugh, have great ole time on phone and big party with visitors, soon as that attention dies down, they are ringing the staff with pain, or they are so so sick. These people should be sent to the phyco ward. I have been in hospital many times I can't take people coming to see me or I can't even chat on the phone.
    But for sure they are out there and I'm sure here also,( I believe as sick as I find it to be)they are in desperate need of attention.
    I just love sitting in waiting area of docs office, such as my surgeons. People diagnosing themselves when they have the mri report,(which after all these yrs and so many, they still read Chinese)but they are determined because they are in a surgeons office they are going to need surgery. I love looking at there faces when they come out and doc says nope your good go back to work. (ok thin walls and yes I shouldn't listen but I do)
    I don't want ever to be cut open again. period.... but there are just some wackos out there.
    Hey there Alex, how are you doing, I have to agree with you(hmm I must me drugged up)you can't day after day dwell in it...have to keep going, and moving.
    When I get down I just go hang out with Alex and well then I realize I'm in good shape, brain wise also..jk hugs

I think it is so sick there are docs out there that will, do operate on people when they don't need it... I have met few of these docs.. sharpening there knives as I sat in there office.
    I got so many opinions and had 4 docs all on same page, but few that wanted to do surgery asap and not got thru injections,or try pt.I had one neurosurgeon that said he would do 3 levels just play it safe because down the road they may blow out anyways.
    I got up fast and didn't stop and I did type a nice letter to head of hospital. That doc retired with in 4 months, hmm something was not right there. But had I not done my homework or just perhaps believe this idiot, I would have had surgery,so for sure there are docs out there waiting n willing for those patients that may or may not need surgery.
    I feel for those people that want surgery any even if they say "simple procedure" any cutting open our bodies is dangerous.
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • wow way long post been up since 3am here sorry all
    and thanks if you read my post
    hey brenda glad to see you posting girl don't over do things
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well - this is an interesting subject. About 10 years ago, my Dr was steering me toward surgery. Then, after a weekend of him being away, I was steered away from it. At the time - I was looking to surgery to fix/repair some of the issues that had been 20 year symptoms.

Today - I can say that I have never been cut- but only because of the research that I did about my specific problem, and not trying to second guess my Dr or push him to my conclusion. Because of my age when these issues started, I kept looking at 40 year outcomes. I wanted to be at least 70 before I got into real trouble with some of this.

How do I feel - well - I have been going through what can only be described as a high pain cycle. Now - this is the second year for such an issue, same time of year - almost the same problems. I stay curious because the answer will arise at some point.

I never will Dr shop, because I look at it this way, if the first one cannot get it right - what is the percentage of luck that the two Dr's meet on the squash court and talk out patients. By the time the guys are off the court - both have their mind made up. BTW - I have watched this happen twice.

I hold myself to a higher standard - but that is because I need to look after myself better than anyone else. Guess what - I am really the only one who can think for me and fix myself.

Internal locus - of focus! Cheers C
  • Brenda, I'm so happy you're out of that so-called-rehab hospital!! I can't begin to imagine how awful that was!!! One thing for sure, they messed with the wrong woman!!!
    We can thank God you're out of there, and in a hospital where they can get your pain under some control. That had to be a living nightmare!!! Good grief, what the heck were they trying to do? Hopefully, you'll be going home Tuesday.
    I am so happy you're able to post again!!! We missed your kind, reasuring wisdom!!!
    You have so much heart and spirit! I've said this so much, you have been and continue to be a true inspiration!!! Not only in S-H, but all the people you touch. We are so blessed to have you in S-H!!! Thank you, spine sister!!! Gentle hugs and prayers, Brenda C.
    PS. Finding a true friend is always a gift, even if you find them because of pain. It's like after a storm, a beautiful rainbow!

• After reading this topic on want and need, and reading again, I'm puzzled!
    Who is paying for surgeries that are wanted but not needed? I only know if you have health insurance there are many guidines you must meet in order to have most surgeries. The insurance companies can deny any test, imaging, procedure and surgery. From what I have researched, anything having to do with the spine, because they feel this has led to failed spine surgery! I am not any kind of expert on anything. So, who pays for wanted and not needed? If there are people who shop around for drugs, procedures,& surgeries and they don't need these things, all I can say is that's beyond sad!!! Maybe I'm clueless and naive. Maybe, that's why my health insurance for my husband and I pay $1400.00 a month premium and still have a large deductible of $2500.00. ( we own our business ). Sick is sick, rather it be in the mind or body! Ultimately, as a caring society, we care about our human race. Peace and health, Brenda C.

• I've had one spinal surgery and will be very pleased if it is the only one. I never want to go through that again, ever.

But I can sort of understand how some people enjoy being the focus of attention and sympathy and above criticism (who would criticize someone about to have, or has just had major surgery).

And it does make you more interesting does it not? I mean "spine surgery" versus "back ache" - no contest!

I spent a few months in a wheelchair and got to meet other wheelchair users and was able to talk to them and discuss stuff without embarassment.
    When I finally left the chair behind I felt that link had been broken and I missed it.

I know it's not the same as wanting more surgery, but it's similar psychology.

What strange creatures we are.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • Brenda,

Thanks very much, I figured I should have had my named changed to 'Brenda Hell..." Hehehehe. All seems unscrewed now, and trying to be getting back on track!

Here is something sweet and wonderful that came today - flowers, nope not from the hubby, nor from my former job or co-workers, not from my federal FOP lodge, but from my hubbies IBEW lodge of all things! Is that sweet or what? I know for me it blew me away for sure!!! :)

I missed you guys too!!! I was solo for my first two fusions, so nice and warm feeling to have you all here for my last 2!! Big, *HUGZ* to you all!!! :)

• Howdy Mary,

Yeah your post was long, but a very good and pointed one - nothing wrong with that woman!! I know (fortunately) the "cut happy" surgeon's aren't too common on 3 levels and above, as their chance of ending up in jail move up "fast and furious" in the fubars from what I can see!!!!Rofla!!!

Wind effects of Hurricane Rina becoming more evident...hummm.... Right around when Wilma hit us in '05' - sigh - lost our roof on that bugger! (G)

No, there are some sick puppies out there that thrive on "being sliced an diced..or..just as simple as attention in a hospital." All I can say is, is said person must have had a very sad life is all I can say to that.... :(

• I dont think all insurance is so strict where they wont cover surgery, Most of the time as far as i know if dr agrees to do surgery its usualy aproved,

So answer to your question is insurance pays, Is your insurance still not aproved your fusion?

Mick. Criticize someone who had or about to have major surgery? Lol i am lost,
    Anyone who goes under the knife has my sympahty without a question,

I am not realy sure who you guys were refering to that use to come here actualy that wanted surgery so bad even if they did not need it,

But i have read a few post that sounded like they think surgery is simple and is the answer when that might not be the case, But everybody has to find out the hard way as some of us did,

I am sure everyone who had surgery thought that was that pain will be gone and life will be good, i know thats what i thought,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • alexhurting said:
    I am sure everyone who had surgery thought that was that pain will be gone and life will be good, i know thats what i thought,

I think my first spinal surgery, yes! I think if memory serves, I did think life would be back to normal after my surgeon fixed mefor sure!!! Of course, my first surgery was awesome in the 'repair' department, but of course, my second surgery solved those thoughts and woke me up!!!!

This my third and forth, I know better. But too...the goals were to stop further neurological issues from progressing, and too to stabilize my neck. :) Hopefully this will come to fruition. In this case, lets say "A girl can hope" for sure!!! *BOW*

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I needed surgery in 1998. But suffered through the pain for years doing non surgical treatments. Because I still had kids in collage. And just couldn't be off of work for the three years the surgeon said it would take back then.
    But not for one moment did I ever think I couldn't be "fixed" And I planed on it at a latter date when the surgeries were much more advanced.
    Now I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. And it turned out that the only thing more painful than that was the surgery.
    But I felt I was fixed for about 7 mos. after the recovery. Then things went down hill. Now I asked the surgeon if he could do the next one up because it was moderately bulging and I didn't think it would survive the weight transfer. He wouldn't because the insurance wouldn't ok it.
    And it went out next. Then the same scenario happened 3 more times.
    Now I never Dr. shopped, but I did change surgeons. And I did request a "stand up M.R.I. because the conventional one didn't show the problem with no natural weight on my spine. And the "stand up M.R.I. clearly showed it.
    And now I need another fusion because the D.D.D. moved up to the next two levels. Because they couldn't handle the weight either.
    And I'll have the surgery even though I had said after each of the last two that I wouldn't have the pain of the surgery ever again!
    But my feet are on fire and the "beast" has become a permanent resident, biting my back! And quite frankly, my life just isn't worth living,as is.
    Now anyone who would want this for ANY REASON AT ALL, has to be insane!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Ok i have not had any surgery now for almost 2 years, You guys think that too long to go without surgery? I am realy worried, what if something serious is going on and i am not geting it fixed?

Has anyone ever diied not having surgery that they thought maybe they needed?
    I have this litle bump on my hand looks like a bee sting, you guys think i might have a brain tumor?

Should i call my dr? Should i call and ask for a mri? Should i call 911.? Should i call my mom?

This cofee taste like crap. Could it be just me? Maybe my taste buds are affected by my drugs? Could the drugs be affected by the cofee? Could it be my gf trying to kill me puting something in my cofee? Should i call the police?

If anyone has this condition and can relate to the above! YOU DONT NEED SURGERY!!!!
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    I know we can all get a bit of course from time to time. Some light humor is always good.

But I started this thread because I do believe there is a serious problem out there dealing with the subject topic.

I know my own father jumped from surgeon to surgeon to see who would perform the next lumbar surgery. He felt he was in too much pain after the first one, so went around to find another doctor who said they could fix him... They never did.

You may ask, that how could the Insurance companies allow and pay for unnecessary surgeries? Well, so much of this depends on how much a doctor can justify the need for a surgery. If the story is good chances are the Insurance company will pay.

So, in those cases:
    - The patient may not even need the surgery
    - A doctor is bending the truth to perform the surgery.
    - The Insurance company may be paying for something that was not needed. And that could result in higher premiums for others.

So please lets keep this thread for what was intended for. Additional side dialogues, please use CHAT and/or private messages.
  • Pain can make us do crazy things even if there is no logic to it, i totaly understand,

When someone offers you the slightest hope we sometimes jump on it, Its totaly human reaction, Everyone reaches there limit and knows when its time to stop and realise this is as good as it gets, Sadly its never good enough no longer,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Forgetting your sarcasm of late... You are right in this post of yours, there are times we "want/need" surgery in one breath to either (like with mine) to stop progression of myelopathy issues, and too to stabilize a mess. Some are for pain (hopes to reduce), function, chances of being paralyzed, etc.. There are sooooo many reasons *one* comes to want or need position for (or both) surgery too count!!

My two cents....

• How are you feeling? After being away, and going through soooo much, it has to feel great being home with hubby and your precious, furry baby's!
    I think your 2 cents is right on the mark!!! You make a ton of common sense!!! I'm so glad you're home! Gentle hugs, Brenda C.
  • How are you feeling? After being away, and going through soooo much, it has to feel great being home with hubby and your precious, furry baby's!
    I think your 2 cents is right on the mark!!! You make a ton of common sense!!! I'm so glad you're home! Gentle hugs, Brenda C.
  • Ok well i was trying to get back on track here as Ron had mentioned,
    I am assuming Ron ment stay on the original topic so posibly new members along with current members who might not had much insight on this subject might benefit from it,

My sarcasm/joke was simply an example of compulsive type behavier people may have in life, In some way it can be comical in nature but it can become very distructive in a persons life,

Brenda, I dont mean to be rude in any way, But if reason for surgery is to stop the chance of becoming paralized would fall ,in the catagory of having to have surgery! Every dr would offer up surgery to prevent from being paralized, Thats a no brainer,

Not sure what that has to do with the original post of wanting or needing surgery when its not realy needed, I am glad Brenda C can understand your point cause i cant. Lol

You sure you 2 are not sisters? Lol. Maybe twins?
    You explained many times why you had your surgery, I think on just about every post you mention it lol. How can i not remember, i hope you dont feel the need to explain it and justify it in any way, Because you dont need to,

At the end of the day surgery is a personal choice to each and every person,

Now as Ron said, This is not about us. This is just in general about Hmmm i have no idea what its about, I need more cofee. Lol. Git-ir-done
    2012 scs implant ,