Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feels like I am never going to get better

Oc DodgerOOc Dodger Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Depression and Coping
I feel like I was given the whole picture by my doctors and therapists before I had my L-5, S1 fusion. I am ow 6 weeks post op and the pain is worse than ever. My cat has been sick, so I had to bend once or twice, but the last few days things have been worse than ever. I know I have to be careful, but I had no idea that I could cause more damage then I had before. At this point I have no idea when I will be able to work again, and I am scared that I am going to lose my job and the ability to provide for my family. Does it ever get better? Have I screwed up? I feel like I am on a downward spiral.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and god bless

• Hi Dodger,

As far as getting better, you need to keep in mind you had major surgery, and it will take time. However if your pain is not controlled you need to be calling your surgeon, so they can get the pain under control. If your in a great deal of pain, it will take longer to heal. I know it is hard to be patient, but it is going to take time. Whatever you do please don't bend over, you don't want to mess anything up. You need to find someone that can help you if you can't bend down at the knees, or your family can't help you. While I know is hard not to do those things it is critical for your well being and healing process. My suggestion is call your surgeon and let them know the level of pain your in, and get something to help reduce the pain. They are not there just for surgery, but to help you through post-op as well, and they do want to see you be successful.
  • I agree with what Tammy says it's still early in your healing process and please never bend but crouch down or find someone else to help you. You can call your Surgeon if you need more pain meds or do you take a muscle relaxant and able to walk short walks daily as your Dr. ordered?

If you had surgery it must have been needed so how can you regret that? I have not had surgery and I'm on Long Term Disability for over 3.8 years so it's not guaranteed if you will be off on disability forever as you're still in the healing process. Concentrate on following your Drs orders and hope you will start to see some progress soon. Take care and saying a prayer. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Please try to be patient with yourself. Major surgery is also individual and you will need to heal at your own pace. Can't compare yourself to others.

Take care and stay aligned and follow doctors orders no matter how you may feel...like you may feel you can do more..but don't risk it.

It not really worthwhile to worry about the job or providing for the family. Easier said than done, I know..but you need your strength to heal and worry about the what ifs later if and when they come up.

Best of luck in your recouperation.Try to think of your limitations as your body getting the most out of healing...It's not a waste of time, but an investment in your future.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi There! You sound so much like I did. The surgery took most of the pain away but not all of it and at 6-8 weeks out the pain was getting worse. My issue was (and is) scar tissue. My neurosurgeon told me that my body creates scar tissue at a very fast rate and a lot of it. I do my PT exercises at home. I walk. I do what I'm supposed to do but it happens anyway. He said there isn't going to be much we can do to stop it. I have a very positive attitude and I want you to as well! The pain might not go away totally but it will get better!!! Your attitude is going to play a major role in all of this. I have had a few bad, emotional type days but I refuse to let this get the better of me. I will be praying for you! Sending positive vibes your way! :)