Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-Surgery Anxiety

lanwayhodllanwayhod Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Have been scheduled for surgery(ACDF C5-7) for about a month now. I think I am starting to drive myself insane because I cannot stop reasearching and reading about the procedure, the outcomes, the side effects, the need for additional surgery down the road. I know the decision to have this is all on me but feel like this would be easier if it were being forced on me. Was just curious how some of you dealt with the pre surgery fears and what ultimately made you feel you were making the right decision?

• I fully appreciate what you are feeling. I'm about to have my surgery and am very anxious and nervous.

I have been living my life with severe pain in my neck, headaches, weakness and pain in my left arm, etc,....I know this surgery may not get rid of all of my pain, but I'm willing to give it a go. I want to be pain free and able to live a happier life.

Best of luck to you xx
  • I had the same problem Pre op. I even almost changed my mind last min... as they were about to push me through those OR doors and my mom was giving me a kiss. I had a mini panic attack and was thinking about how to escape! Then I think they gave me a bunch of drugs because I don't remember anything else!

I know it is nearly impossible... but just try to think the best.

Even though I am not 100% yet, I am really glad I had the surgery.

Good luck to you :)

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Has your recovery been better or worse than you anticipated? Specifically, did you have any swallowing problens? That is what I'm most fearful about.
  • I have only had symptoms for about 6 months and I see where alot of people have lived with pain alot longer than that. How long have you had symptoms?
  • You may have swallowing issues but you will quickly learn to adjust and deal with it, although it can be frustrating. There are things that are easier to eat than others, and you'll eat what is easy. Take really small bites and chew a lot. Carbonated beverages or thicker liquids like milk (or milk shake) is easier. Water is the most difficult to swallow.

For me the swallowing issues took a long time to subside, but that was me. Others had much less of a problem.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.