Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help! EXTREME Stinging in battery area!

TabithaTTabitha Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Please help, I had my Permanent nerve stimulator placed just 3 days ago on 10/25/11. Seems since surgery I have had stinging close to battery placement site, but not right on top of it. I have only been able to turn on stim 2 times a day. Today has been the worse, I only had stim on once today then area on butt by battery area got sore...stinging. Now 5 hours later I am still having the stinging and it won't go away! Its really bad and an hour ago I had 3 really BAD pain/stinging there. tried to move but just makes it worse. Seems so tender, even to touch the area, but like I said its not right at where the insision is, it beside it and in a large area.

I just don't know what to do, as it hurts sooo bad,, and as I"m writing this its just getting worse again. Has anyone ever had this experience? It seems it can't be normal to me but idk! It totally feels like my skin is really raw and I have 100 bees stinging me.

Any help or anything experience would be appreciate! I'm home alone with 2 of my boys, ages 8 and 11. Husband is working and 2 older boys are staying with friends! Its so bad I would go to the hospital but don't know what they can do and I had my surgery 2 hours away from my home so going local I'm afraid they won't be able to help. Tried calling my surgeon but got answering machine and they don't have .NO ANSWERING SERVICE!
Thanks everyone or anyone who have some insight on this!

• Do you have the stinging only when you have your stimulator turned on? Try leaving the stimulator off for the time being while your body heals from the surgery. The stingy could be just from the leads going into the battery that were tunneled under your skin or the battery could be heating everything up and your probably still suffering from a lot of inflammation. Have you tried icing down the area? If it gets to unbearable, then a trip to the ER is in store, maybe they can get a hold of your surgeon.

• The area around the battery is a tremendous source of discomfort during the first few weeks of healing. Like Dave mentioned, ice is one of the things that really helps. Keep in mind the post op list of reasons to contact your surgeon's office. Please review what you were given so you can be aware of any warning signs. None of us enjoy a trip to the ER or back to the doc, but if necessary you need to make arrangements to go.

I had real severe burning around the pocket that for the first few days was pretty constant. After that, it only became irritated if I changed positions from sitting to standing or standing to sitting.

Let us know how it goes.

• thanks for the replies guys. It seems like the stinging starts when I have the unit on. So I turn it off and it gets worse throughout the evening. I only had it on 1 time yesterday around 4pm till 4:30pm. It started stinging so thats why I turned it off. It wasn't until about 9 or 10pm that I had the really bad stinging...crying stinging. I woke up today around 6am and it was still stinging and I didn't have the unit on. I went back to bed and got up at 11:45am and the stinging is still here, not constant though. Just randomly stinging.

As far as my doctors instructions, they didn't specify much, just if there is sign of infection, bleeding, fever above 101 for more then 6 hours, these were on the hospital discharge paper. My doctors list is Wound Care..ice, keep dry, wear binder. Activity: normal no bending twisting, driving for 24 hours, Then call for followup appointment.

I have been pretty faithful with icing both back and butt. It just burns and stings so bad and I'm not going to turn on unit today, I am to afraid too. Oh the stinging is about 2 inches away from my butt incision as well!
    Son tried calling surgeon last night and they don't even have an answering service which I don't understand but oh well.

<3 Tabitha <3
  • What brand SCS do you have? I'm asking because there's a self diagnostic that can be done with the Medtronic SCS to validate the lead connectivity. When I had a lead wire pull loose from my generator, it would bite me really bad as if someone was searing me from the inside. Of course it only happened when the unit was running and if I happened to move just right to pull the wire a bit.

Do you have contact information for your company rep? I would suggest calling the rep as well. My rep is really good at assisting in contacting the doc even if it's only to give him a heads up. My rep met me to run diagnostics on my unit and then contacted the doc to let him know there was definitely a problem. Saved me from weeks of waiting.