Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds

I take Hydrocodone 7.5-750. My Rx reads to take 1 tablet every 4 hours as needed for pain. The pharmacist told me to take no more than 4 per day. I usually take 2 or 3 per day. I read on another forum from a guy that wrote that he takes 2 of the same pils that I take at a single dose. Isn't this dangerous? I wanted to write on the forum that he is putting himself at risk, but I have no way of substantiating this.

Anyone know how dangerous taking 2 of these pills at one time would be?

• He could be taking the lower dose of APAP. The vicodin ES is 7.5 750 but they also make Hydrocodone 7.5-500 or 325. You could take two of those pills at once and be ok. You just can't go over 1000 mg of APAP at one time, 4000 mg in one day.

If the 7.5/750 is not enough for your pain ask your doctor for a lower dose of APAP or the pills with 10mg hydrocodone.

I take Vicodin ES as well, but take no more than 1-2 a day.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    The docs will often give different instructions for different people..or may prescibe more or less than what is "norm". Everything depends on individual and their diagnosis.

I can't imagine anyone being bothered if you were to express concern...if you feel led to address it.

Take care!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I keep hearing and reading about all of the addiction to these types of pain meds and I just thought that taking 15 mgs. of Vicadin at one time may be hazardous, but maybe his doctor gave him that option.
    ..re' addiction..and I am no expert..but I was told when you are no longer in pain,ex: after healing from surgery..body no longer will want/need the meds.

If someone is known or predisposed addict, they usually limit themselves, knowing what they are capable of..as far as taking meds out of control.

But chronic pain..meds as ordered and as instructed.. you weigh the pros and cons. Even tylenol and what I've seen on tv as their cautions to use as instructed to prevent liver damage.

Some of us..myself for one..would prefer to have a few years shaved off my life if that is the consequence of having a more managed, less out of contol, crazy making painful lifestyle now.

The meds are to get me to a "limited..but functioning
    with pain control." I think of it as I'm addicted to air, also. Comfort is my goal.

I must say, in all my years of meds for pain..it only takes the edge off. I have never felt a "high". Never. Meds taken as directed with feedback to your doc should help manage pain with least opportunity for addiction.

Again...I'm not an expert..just what I was told by my doc.
    Spine-Health Moderator

• When I left the hospital in the summer of 2010 and after my third back surgery, my surgeon had me on Percocet. I took it for pain, but when I went back for my check-up after the surgery, which was about two weeks, I asked the doctor to give me something else because the Percocet was making me feel really high and spacey. So, he changed me over to Vicadin, which is OK. It takes the pain away and I don't get that "high" feeling. I keep worrying about getting addicted to these things, but I only take 2-3 a day and I never feel that I 'have' to have one. But, nonetheless, I worry somewhat about becoming dependent on the Vicadin, so I put up with the pain sometimes, rather than take a pill.
    ..put up with pain and not medicate. Like if I know I don't need to be with people and no appointments.. I try to endure more.

My thinking is that will help me not build a tolerance too quickly. It's so frustrating when meds stop being effective.

But I take the meds before it launches into a no return situation...that requires ER visit.

It's a full time job caring for myself :) and I'm sure most of us here. That's why it's great to have each other to share and learn from. For me.. this is a lifesaving and best site ever!
    Spine-Health Moderator

• Before I had my back surgeries, I would listen to other people tell their stories of how severe their pain was at times. One guy even told me that his pain would sometimes be so bad that he would take his pain medicine and then a few shots of whiskey. I always thought this was dangerous, but really didn't pay it much mind. Now, that I am going through the same thing, although mine isn't as bad as it was and not as bad as some others are having, I have changed my mind. I think people that are in such unbearable pain should do whatever makes them feel better, but be safe about it.

I'm not saying that we should be taking our meds and then do a couple of shots, but like me, I know when my pain gets so bad that if I take my Vicodin and if the pain doesn't subside in 3 or so hours, I will take another and that generally takes the pain away. I just keep worrying about becoming addicted to this stuff, so I limit myself to no more than 3, or if pain is really bad, 4 a day.
  • Hi Oberlin. I respect your thinking and feel that each person in pain should do what they need to do to be able to make it through the day.

I am on norco 10/325s and am allowed 6 a day. I was down to half of that at one time when I wasn't working and I didn't overdo and that was great. (I'm also on valium 5mg for muscle spasms and anxiety.)

Then I was lucky enough to get a job, although it's a very physical job and I started getting some pretty severe pain in my lumbar and even into my ribs where it was painful to even breathe (I almost always have pain in my cervical. Of course, fearing reherniation, I went to see my surgeon.

He explained that with the new job, all the lifting, bending and twisting, I was experiencing mechanical pain around my fusion. He said that the levels above and below were having to do the work since my L4/5 can't move, so the others are carrying the burden and not very happy about it.

He offered me percocets which I refused (I can't stand them, plus have some left over from surgery if absolutely necessary), so he said he'd mark on my chart that I'd be taking more of the norcos than I had been in the past, perhaps up to my full prescription. Apparently they had noted, due to how often I requested refills, that I wasn't taking as many as prescribed, which is good. But it's also good that he made note of the increased problems so I can get my refills sooner when necessary.

I'm stuck doing this heavy duty work, for many reasons, and am happy to have a surgeon that understands and the ability to get relief so I can make it through the day. Some days are better than others and I don't take as many, but it's nice to know that I can up my dose if I need to without getting a poo-poo from my doc.

It all comes down to making it through the day and staying ahead of the pain when you can, as far as I'm concerned. I take less when I'm able to stay home and hang out in my recliner and more when I'm at work doing heavy duty. It's quite a game we play, isn't it? Gag.

• Cath111, I understand what you are going through, although I won't pretend to know how much pain you experience during your work day. I agree about the Percocets. I had to go off of them because they made me feel "goofy". The Vicodin lessens or takes away my pain, but I hesitate taking them when working because they do affect my ability to think properly and sometimes to make good decisions.

We do what we have to do to get through each day. Most people are sympathetic, but in reality, unless they have ever gone through back or spine problems, they have no clue. I just want this to end and I believe some day it will, although I will never be able to fully do some of the things that I used to.