Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any shared experience? 7 days post ALIF - incision HURTS!

oonamilkooonamilk Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
HI All,
I have had all kinds of pain management problems since the surgery. 4 hours my first night post op with no pain meds, and since then playing catch-up. The pain meds given in the hospital barely touched my pain, i was an 8-10 until they discharged me, and I am now having new pain in my incision site. I can feel my abdominal wall, as well.

Is this common with ALIF? I am going to call my doc first thing in the AM, but I have heard that ALIF recovery is difficult because of the abdominal entry.

Any shared experience would be most appreciated.

• I have had both anterior and posterior fusions and one 360. My surgeon told me the anterior is easier to recover from since they don't have to go thru all the muscles.

I recall my incisions being painful for awhile. I had my most recent fusion (L5-S1) in march and still have one spot on my incision that is still tender and still adhered. Its definitely a long process to recovery.

Good luck.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • And it still gets sore. It is worse with jeans on. I would just watch for infection, it is very normal to be sore. It felt like I was ripping apart on my belly.
  • Yeah, I feel like my belly is ripping, too. That's exactly how I would describe the pain.

• Try Icing it. My incision swelled and bruised horribly. They tried to keep the incision smaller so they stretched my skin. Ice helped more then anything.
  • I'm a month post op and had thrush after surgery so lots of coughing etc...my stomach hurts so bad I can barely tolerate it. I've never been so uncomfortable. I get up and move around a bit and end up back in bed with chills almost in tears due to the pain. I have to get on my feet. I have an important job- I train Service Dogs for Vets on a small scale but every dog helps someone. A puppy was just donated to me today and I have a list building up of people in need. Have any of y'all found a way to help lower the pain? I am about to have myself put into the Hospital and refuse to leave until they make sure there is no infection or damage done because of my extreme coughing fits after my surgery. Ice has never been something I'm keen on I'm trying the heating pad that came with my brace. The Doctors did a fantastic job on the site a nice clean straight cut, but it feels like something quite different from the inside coming out , if you know what I mean.....I had dual level L4 L5 S-1 and have yet to go back for my second surgery which would require the two titanium rods and 6 screws. Also my incision is a backwards L shape and my organs still are swollen despite the fact I've lost nearly 30 pounds because I can't eat, nothing tastes right, because of having the thrush even water tastes like licking charcoal still. Any ideas?
  • I had ALIF in Oct/2015.  Incision pain took 6 weeks for me to fell better.  Now I still have tightness and pulling where the incision is but feel much better.  
This discussion has been closed.