Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm spammie, the pit bull lady

spammiesspammie Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
I've been lurking for months here and have gleaned some very solid wisdom.
I'm 50 and worked for 20 yrs as an ER RN, now I manage group homes. I'm also involved in pit bull rescue and am one of the mods at a pit bull forum.
I've been dealing with several compressed nerves, L3,L4,L5 with massive Rt hip and leg pain. Recently had a series of 3 ESI without relief. Since I've had a laminectomy in 2003, my PM suggested a scs, if the surgeon felt this would not benefit by surgery.
I've known this surgeon for a while and know he often discourages surgery, but he said if I was his wife, he'd do a fusion with rods/screws due to moderate/severe scoliosis.
meds: trazadone at night, steroids 60 mg, and norco.
SOooo, that's me in a nutshell.

• Welcome to spine health! We are glad that you have joined us after lurking for awhile.

I was also in nursing before my injury, however have not been able to go back to it.

You said that if it was his wife, the surgeon would recommend a fusion to you. Did he recommend it to you, and now he is leaving it up to you to make the decision? Will you be having a second opinion from a fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon?

I also have two opinions coming up this month after it was recommended to me from my ortho to have a fusion, after a failed discectomy/lami.

Wishing you all the best with your decision. So wonderful that you are involved with rescue! I am a big animal lover myself and own two small dogs, who are so loving and great company.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • This surgeon is the guy all the ortho's and neurosurgeon refer to for deformity correction, but I'm having a 2nd opinion later this month.
    The choice is left up to me...deformity correction or medical management. I'm more than a bit frightened at both choices.
  • For a rescue or general forum? I am a volunteer with various pit rescues. Unfortunately, so many back yard breeders and people that do not realize the commitment of responsible ownership. I love the "breed".

Wish the best on your back.

P.s. I am a 2x l5/s1 back surgery patient..both micro discectomies and hoping to avoid a fusion but understand the decision you are faced with to some extent.
  • Thanks for the well wishes DNice. I do fostering and transport for a local group. I spend a lot of time on an online pit bull forum.