Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cant sleep properly

loveley07lloveley07 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Sleep Problems
Hi. how can I overcome my sleeping problem, it's hard for me to sound asleep every night and I can't sleep well. Like I cant sleep immediately and I easily wake up.

Please advice. If anyone who has same problem with me and how did you cope with this.
Thank you.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have come upon a pretty common problem for alot of spineys, sleeping!! if it is not pain, then it is depression, but difficulty sleeping is a major area of discourse!! one thing i do is get really comfy in my bed (plenty of pillows and warm blankets), then turn on some rock and roll and let the music take away the pain!! it really works for me and often gives me a couple of hours of sleep as well..i also find that short naps can often make you feel more rested than trying to get a whole nights sleep!! please stop by the forum anytime! and i do hope you get a few hours of good sleep! Jenny :)
  • That really helps.
    Actually what I did was I eat healthy diet like fruits and vegetables every meal.
    I also stop myself from worrying too much.
    Sometimes its mind over matter.

• hi!! i am a vegetarian so i am all about fruits and vegies!! cleaning out your system of bad food might just help you get a better nights sleep..good luck with getting some zzzz's tonight!! sweet dreams!! Jenny :)
  • Also beware of caffeine later in the day. In addition, many people find that sound some form of relaxation technique before bed is helpful.
  • Have you checked yourself for a sleep disorder?
  • I would recommend you to go for some meditations. I am sure it will defiantely help you out.Stay away from stress and be happy.
  • but that make no difference to my sleep .i am in constant pain all the time it only varies from bad to unbearable ! .regarding sleep i could write a book . but in a nut shell ..try to wind down before you go to bed .no computers no caffeine maybe some soft music and maybe read a book then i use soft ear plugs [one only as my head is buried in the memory foam pillow ,then i lay on my right hand side with another pillow in between my slightly bent knees and i fall asleep fast but pain wakes me after 2 hours .i have just ordered a new technology octaspring mattress in the hope it will give me more time in bed ..because when i wake in pain i end up propped up on my recliner with more pillows and sometimes get another few hours .
    good luck ..
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • CescaSetCCescaSet Posts: 1
    edited 11/15/2012 - 5:12 AM
    There are lots of things you can try to help you sleep. I used to have problems unwinding and getting to sleep, every night was torture, I used to lay awake every night, my mind spinning. What I found to be effective was setting myself a sleeping routine, which includes, winding down a couple of hours before bed, avoiding caffeine and heavy meals. Also having a notebook by my bed so that I can jot down any anxieties or worrying has also helped. Another thing you can try is finding a comfortable mattress, I found that investing in a good one, improved my sleep substantially. Though they are simple changes, I have found them to be effective.
  • FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 11/15/2012 - 8:16 AM
    One thing I found very helpful was that I downloaded a pre/post op Guided Imagery audio from Amazon for about $9. I listened to it before my surgery date and immediately being wheeled into my hospital room from recovery. I placed it on my smart phone and asked the nurse to give me my phone and ear buds - and what a difference that made as my mind raced constantly in the hospital.

Even as recently as last night, I woke up at 3am and my mind kicked in and after a little while, I turned on the post op portion of the audio file and the next thing I knew, it was 7am!

I never had a need for guided imagery before, but I have to say that it really has made a difference. Some say that using guided imagery reduces pain, too. All I know is that I never experienced any pain whatsoever while in the hospital and since home, other than the loss of my voice. (I had cervical spine fusion). I needed almost no pain meds while in the hospital and none since I have been home. So, is that because of the guided imagery audio? I have no idea. But, it sure can't hurt.

Good luck to you.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
This discussion has been closed.