Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having 1st Facet Injection

dawson40229ddawson40229 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Pain Management
I'm having my first injection next week. Are you usually sedated for this procedure?
advertisement

Comments

• here's a warm welcome to the SH Board! Since we've all been there done that when it comes to spine issues we're a caring bunch and we're happy to answer questions as long as they're not of the type you'd ask a doctor, since we're not in that field, and if you ever feel the need to vent, this is the place to do that, since we indeed know how frustrating back/neck problems can be.

I suppose it's up to the doctor as to whether to use sedation for facet blocks, but in my case sedation was used; I was completely knocked out for all but my first one, during which I felt pain.I had to fast for a few hours beforehand, so you might call the facility where yours will be performed to find out if you'll need to fast. Best wishes with the procedure, and keep us posted. Love 'n >:D< , Ess
  • I took my husband in last Friday for Facet Injections. They did 3 on each side of L2/L3, L/3/L4, L4/L5. He has had 2 different surgeries on his back 1 in June 2010, fusion, decompression and installed hardware. Another 3/2011 to redecompress above mentioned and to remove said hardware. He had a ESI on 9/27/11, little id any relief, very painful for a few days. The facet injections did little if any good in regard to pain relief. However he is now dragging his feet, says he can't pick them up any higher. Have any of you experienced anything like this? Thanks for your opinions/advice
  • I think I would let someone know about your husband dragging his feet in case he has foot drop, where you can't pick your feet up.

It could indicate severe pressure on the nerves which could become permanent if not dealt with quickly.

Please let us know how you get on.
    I hope that things will settle down quickly for you both. I know that this must be a worrying time for you as well as your husband.
  • Sedation is really not needed for facet joint injections. That being said, some people tolerate procedures differently. Best bet is to discuss it up front with your doctor. Make it a group decision.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I wasn't sedated for any procedure I've had done. I've had 6 facet joint injections, 4 epidural injections, 2 rounds of RF, and 1 discogram. The facet joint injections are uncomfortable and borderline painful but nowhere near as painful as other procedures such as RF. You should be fine. Take an anti-anxiety med if you need to 15 minutes before the procedure. Most doctor offices offer you a pill such as Xanax to calm down.
advertisement