Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Where do I go from here? PLEASE HELP!

dax0007ddax0007 Posts: 66
Hello all! Well I have posted here before and gotten allot of support.. I just got my new MRI results a few days ago and spoke with a NEURO who thinks I may need surgery IF conservative stuff does not work.. I have had lower back issues before and they last a few months then i am back to normal, but this is the FIRST TIME i have experience LEG PAIN with very litte back pain....

* L3-L4 there is mild central canal stenosis with a superimposed central disc herniation impressing on the ventral aspect of the sac and migrating slightly inferior to the disc level.

L4-5 there is moderate central canal stenosis secondary to broad annular bulging, facet degenerative change and ligamentous infolding. The exiting roots are well demostatred

L5-S1, there is annular bulging impressing on the ventral epidural fat. There is mild facet degenrative changes. No overt disc herniation of stenosis.

So EVERYONE thats ME! It all started 2 weeks ago.. First 4 days lower mild back pain, then BAM BABY LEFT LEG Sciatica, then BOTH LEGS SCIATICA.. Really bad when I would walk, BUT WHEN I SAT OR SLEEP I HAVE NO PAIN.. Walking for a few minutes is fine but after than LOOK OUT feel like i cant walk at all.. PAIN their the outside of the back of the thighs and INTO THE CALFS.. This week has been little better cause right legs is MILD, but left leg is OUCH...

I have NEVER had any edpitural shot or cortozone.. How long should i wait for surgery? Doc said there is this new surgery where they made 2 little holes and clean up the l3-4.. I just dont know..

Any advice!!

• Hi there...Welcome to Spine health.
    I'm not a doctor so your MRI is interesting but nothing that I can comment on.

However, I would go for a conservative approach as your doctor is recommending. While doing that, take the time to research the surgery s/he is recommending. Most lower back surgeries are slippery slopes.

And, there is a lot of that conservative treatment can do. I managed with sciatica for 17 years without surgery and really happy that no one ever suggested it until when they did. From Physical therapy you can learn to properly stretch to help reduce the sciatic pain. Also, walking is good for you. Did he mention anything about taking anti-inflammatory medication (like Advil or ibuprofin?)...that can sometimes help too.

Not sure the surgery he is speaking of but always take caution on the word 'new'. In addition, anything "Micro" only refers to the incision size and not the fact that they are touching your lower back...meaning, your spine.

While you are getting conservative treatment, ask the name of the surgery. Read up and ask questions here as I'm sure someone has either had it or considered it. Then if things to get better, you are in a better place to decide.

I can only suggest that back surgery will not eliminate your pain nor will it put you back to 'normal'. This is why I suggest going for conservative b/c it can really work without messing with the structure of your back.

Sounds like you have the right attitude and are trying to learn more.

• i am brand new here so please forgive me if i am out of turn, i am suffering for two years and still have not had surgery ,you should ask about simple trigger point injections.they used too work for me very well for me sir.good luck
    You will know the true benefits of life,by helping someone who can never repay you!
  • Thank you for your comments.. I am sorry i just jumped to the idea of surgery cause i just cant believe this leg pain can be so debilating(sorry misspelled). Yes he wants me to do PT, drugs, then SHOTS.. if that does not work in "time" some type of minially invasive surgery to cut on my l3-4 is what he said.. I agree and understand thats NOT the route i want togo unless I have atrphoy.. Thanks again and i welcome any new comments..
    ONE LAST QUESTION: has any one ever had sciatica where it stops?? I am lucky for right now cause SITTING and SLEEPING is no problem, but walking, moving and standing is rough..

• yes sir,i can adjust myself too obtain some comfortablility,depending on position,i work everyday so while driving i will be ok but then i hobble to the constuction site,good luck sir
    You will know the true benefits of life,by helping someone who can never repay you!
  • Don,
    Pain is very personal and only you know the impact on your quality of life, DNice managed for 17 years without surgery and we are all different, what works for some may not for others. Only in trying and conservative treatment yourself would you know if it would help.

We can only listen, support and encourage your decision we have personal experience but we are not you, or doctors. If we have fully exhausted every conservative treatment only then may we look to a more invasive process where appropriate, some patients this process is sooner where recommended from a surgeon.

Many here are where you are now and looking for some support and guidance, that leap of faith into the unknown is something that those who have done it understand, we have been where you are and asked the same challenging questions, it is not easy.

Do what is right for you, and be lucky.
    Take care, John.
  • John, Well today is Feb 18.. My original message was in Nov 12.. Boy i am allot better but far far from normal.. I am going with the conservative treatment which is really just low impact cardio exercises. it took me about 2 months of riding bike because i my sciatica would not allow me to do eliptical.. Now in my 3-4 month i can do eliptical for 30mins.. sitting hurts my rear end with buring. I sound like a 230lbs BABY cause i know there are many many out here that got it much worse than me.. My fathers back issues started when he was 40 with lower back pain that would make him cry and he could not get out of bed for a few days, then slowly in a week or so was normal.. MINE is so different .. I suffer with PAIN on a high moderate level like a 7 out of 10.. where 10 YOU NEED PAIN MEDS but at a 7 i can find some type of semi comfortable positiion.. I stay like this for 3 months when it flares up.. Anyways MY Dad was lucky enough to fight off back surgery for 24 years but did have a MICRO laser sugery done cause his leg was atrophying... he is doing well with no back pain but his leg is skinny..

You are so right about everyone is different..