Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Afraid to get back to normal

Black OpheliaBBlack Ophelia Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm 7 weeks post op after having a microdiscectomy/spinal decompression. Yesterday I was given the ok to start bending but I'm so nervous.

I've not had a bath yet but really want to, however the thought of sitting in the bath makes me feel sick. I'm also scared to bend to put my socks and shoes on or sit on a toilet without a raised seat.

My back is extremely creaky and I get a burning, tearing sensation when I do try to bend.

Does anybody have any advice/experienced difficulties themselves?

Thanks so much in advance

• to black ophelia- YOU NEED to start bending and getting back to normal. You have scar tissue in the area and need to break that up. I had a decompression surgery and made the mistake of not bending and getting back right away. You are almost 2 months post op- which is early for a fusion but for a herniated disc surgery not so much. Start doing things!! Get out there! live your life the way you want to! Break through the pain.
    Hannah Mueller
  • Did your Surgeon send you to Physiotherapy yet? Maybe they could help what you're supposed to be doing in your recovery after your spine surgery. Since I have injured my back I never bend over but only crouch down to get something.

Read some articles on Spine Surgery on the site and hopefully others who had surgery can comment. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you both for your replies. I keep trying to stretch out my back but am having real trouble getting past the fear of hurting myself further.

Charry, I saw my surgeon on Tuesday and he advised against having physio, much to my surprise. He said that sometimes they are too pro-active and can often cause more injury.