Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Awaiting surgery #2

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Sorry but the other post on this was so far back, figured be better to start new one.

So anyway today at my NS appt. was told everything is in place and my alif is scheduled for 12/2/11.
The nurse that w/c has tailing me told me she will get the authorization from w/c.

But this time my NS told me he was gonna use "stem cells" instead of the "bmp", due to a report that just came out stating use of bmp being linked to increase chance of cancer.
And considering i didnt fuse the 1st time using the 'bmp".
And in the 90's i fused using my own bone from the hip when i had cervical fusion surgery.

So if nothing changes i got 15 days and a wake-up, then will finally get this surgery done.

• Jim,

I know how frustrating it can be waiting on the approval and the whole process of work comp. Hang in there and the 15th will roll around very soon. In the meantime try to relax and enjoy yourself. Have they thought about using your bone? Just something to consider. I like you have had BMP and didn't fare so well on it, and i will take my bone anytime. But hopefully you can enjoy yourself while you wait this time out, I know hard to do when your in pain. Hopefully when this surgery is done you will finally be on the right path of healing. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.
  • I have seen the new stem cell break through on stem cell repaired damaged heart on clinical trials. I think finaly there is a break through in this stem cell research which is far over do,

Hope we can all benefit soon from all the money gone in to all this research in our life time, Stem cell is the only hope for to repair nerve damage which would help many along with myself,

Good luck with your surgery,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks, and i'm guessing the stem cell is the way my NS is gonna go.
    They know more then i do, so i'm just putting my trust in my NS.

I also had other issues going on yesterday and today, with me not having the money to afford health ins. for myself. I'm paying for my daughters thru Humana they have a deal set up for college students. Pretty cheap for average coverage.
    But i now have my health ins. thru the V.A. for health and prescriptions. And the level of coverage i am at, i have a 0 deductible for doctor visits and prescriptions.
    So finally something going right.

So just hoping w/c doesnt do anything to stop this surgery.
  • Terrific that you've got your surgery date now, and very interesting about the stem cells. Hope this works well for you and that you fuse.

Such a relief for you that your health insurance issues have been sorted out - one problem out of the way.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks; hoping it all works out.

But; w/c still has'nt offically approved my surgery. I dont know what they are waiting for. The nurse w/c assigned to me told me today when i called her, that no one has returned her calls as to why this isnt approved yet. Playing games with me!!!
    I go to my pcp today for my pre-surgical check-up, and his approval, guess what he wont approve it until my blood pressure comes down. It was today 162/95, so i blow-up get in an argument with him, and start to walk out, and he brings in another doctor to calm me down.
    I told them it's no wonder my b/p is up the way i keep getting jerked around by the courts, lawyers and the worse part.
    Yesterday the man who was like a dad to me, and i considered him a 2nd dad passed away. I was at the hospital all day yesterday with his family and then the time came to pull the plug, after that it took about 1 1/2 hours for him to leave us.

I really dont know how in the hell i have been able to stay smoke free.
    Sorry for rambling, now i dont know what is gonna happen or when.
    Getting very tired of this crap.
  • I'm so sorry to hear of your latest problems. Here's hoping that your w/c approval materializes very soon. What you've been through is enough to cause one's blood pressure to go up. Try some relaxing music, aromatherapy if you're into scented things, and/or whatever relaxes you. >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess
  • I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your loved one. My condolences to you and family.

I just wish WC would hurry up and approve surgery for you. I am sure your BP will go down then.

As for smoke free, you are doing so amazing, no turning back now. Two of my family members were waked and burried this weekend, and don't know how I didn't light up a smoke (day 19 here) but I didn't.
    You will make it through too.

Will be hoping and praying for the official approval for you asap.

big >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Sorry to hear about your friend like a second Father passed away and sad to hear about the PM Dr. saying your B/P was so high he wouldn't approve surgery and also WC not giving approval yet.

Take you pain meds before you go to your PCP Dr. and see if that helps your B/P get better and do some deep breathing exercising and say relax. I found it helped when I had a short episode of high B/P.

Even so if your B/P is constantly high your Primary Dr. could start you on a B/P med to see if it helps rather than just say it's too high and he will not allow surgery. But hopefully when WC approves the surgery your B/P will go down like Karen said. So proud of you quitting smoking also.

Praying that you will get approval soon. Hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ess, Karen, and Charry

The man who passed away was my ex's dad.
    Even tho we were divorced, he and the rest of her family still treated me like family.
    They all knew the reasons of the divorce, and no one blamed me for my ex's actions.
    He even told me before to divorce her, he called it like it was, didnt matter if you were his kid or not.
    He will be missed!

But anyway, i'm told my surgery is still a go, for this friday 12/02, at 0730, so besides the usual, making sure i'm caqught up on everything, so nothin gets shut off, while i'm in the hospital.

My best to all.