Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Radiofrequency Ablation--which insurance companies pay for this?

bbxdupo1bbbxdupo1 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi everybody,
I am new to this website. I am interested in learning which insurance companies cover Radiofrequency Ablation for back/spinal pain. Within the last year or so, we were told by my pain management doctor that this procedure is no longer covered. I really got relief from this procedure.

We presently have Anthem Blue Cross and are shopping around for a new provider because our open season starts now.
Any news or ideas?

• Hi there, I have Cigna, & my procedure was covered. Good luck in finding a new provider, I know what a hassle it can be dealing with insurance companies!

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP
  • I'm under workers compensation and they covered my RFAs.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    It's not only the insurance company but the specific plan under which you are covered.

I have UnitedHealthCare as does a good friend.

Her plan, under her former employer, does not cover Epidural Steroid Injections.

My plan, under my former employer, does cover ESI.

So the employer, in her case, chose to put some cost saving measures into effect and thus dropped coverage of ESI.

If you have individual insurance it will be hard to change providers. Often there is a pre-ex period under which your conditions may not be covered. If under your employer often you have only 1-2 carriers to choose from. And plan type is important, for example a BCBS plan that is a PPO is better, overall, than a CIGNA plan that is an HMO.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Are you looking at other group plans or private plans? Most private plans will either deny you or make you sign a rider that states it won't cover anything related to your preexisting condition. Hopefully you can find a plan that will cover the treatments.