Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can't get much lower

FeistyFrecklesFFeistyFreckles Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions

I was researching today on the Internet for support and found this website. So here I am. I am in great severe pain with DDD and SI joint on my right side. I have no job no insurance and on no meds. I am pretty close to throwing in the towel, I won't lie. Today has been really hard and severely times I thought of getting in my car and driving into a tree but then I cried and thought about my family.

I am in such pain and can't afford a PM doc who only wants injections at 5k a pop. I can't even afford his office visit fee at $375 which wouldn't matter cause he won't give any meds via a script.

I am close to rock bottom. I read somewhere of folks working out a payment plan with the doctor and hospital to get surgery but how do you attempt this?

I did apply for the Pre-existing conditions insurance but won't have an answer until December which means if approved wouldn't start until January. I don't know mentally if I can hold on that long. I just won't lie.

Gosh is there any hope for me? I am over the edge ......help me with some advice. Please from someone that understands.

Ps. I do go to a sliding scale primary doctor tomorrow but I have no idea if they will even try to help my pain. I am popping tyneol and Advil like it is jelly beans and my stomach hurts really bad probably from an ulcer I have created so that I'd how I got the appt tomorrow.

• Ps

I have hardly no disc on L4/l5. Have had severely back and SI injections to no avail. Was told only option was hip surgery and 2 disc replacement in my back but hip surgery needed to happen FIRST which is causing me the greatest pain. Lost job and insurance before I could do surgery and now can't even stand longer than 10 min or sit longer than that either without crying all the time. My Hip also has degenerative and arthritis. Ugh
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and unfortunately you will find others in similar situations. I can tell you that the insurance you have applied for should come through, if it is under the federal health care reform act that went into place this past summer. I have checked that insurance a few times for other family members. They just need to be sure you don't have any other insurance available to you.

As far as your pain management doctor if he/she doesn't understand you can't afford the injections at the current time, then find another doctor. You also should see your family doctor and let them know what is going on. You need to let them know how depressed you are, because the pain is out of control. There are some doctors out there whom don't prescribe meds, but there are others whom do. I personally see a physiatrist, which does all of it from injections to medication refills.

I am not sure where you are located, but if you are in the US and in of the colder states, keep in mind that the pain can and will for many of us get worse as the weather changes. My doc likes to tell me just hang on till your body adjust to the temp changes, and of course I wonder how much longer that will be. Also if you are in the US the holidays are also harder on us, just by nature, more to do and chronic pain sometimes don't mix well together. If your truly feeling depressed as in you want to hurt yourself, please go to your local ER. They will help with the pain, but also to get the depression under control. I know you said you wouldn't cause of your family, but sometimes things can get really hard, so if you find yourself in that situation, please go to the ER or call one of the crisis hotlines. Sometimes just talking to someone can help, and who knows they might have resources to help you.

AS far as how to get surgery? The only thing I can suggest is to check with your local hospital and see what programs they have for the uninsured and low income. You can also check your state's website to see what resources are available to you. Keep in mind it is a holiday week, and many of those agencies will be short staffed tomorrow, if you should decide to call.

Anyway I just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. You have found the right place were we all do understand chronic pain, and the effects it can have on our lives.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! i am sorry to read you are in such intolerable pain!! not having an understanding doctor makes life even more difficult.. perhaps being around others who feel as bad as you, will help you feel alittle better..please have a good look around and make yourself at home!! stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • I hope you get some help from your Dr. tomorrow and don't forget to use ice and alternate heat also 15 minutes. I saw in one of the Health issues forum that someone went to a University Hospital and had surgery done for no payments. I don't live in the States and sorry if no one has health insurance and wish you could get refugee status in Canada!

Hopefully your Dr. will help or go to the ER if you're in bad pain or psychological distress. I hope your insurance goes through soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you all. I am going into my appt tomorrow with small hope but I am still hoping. I am just going to tell him like it has been and hope he has pity on me.

I have gone to my ER one time and they basically laughed at me for even thinking of using them to get some sort of relief but I was hurting so bad. I

It sucks being this low in your life and this much pain. I do have a university hospital here so I am going to try to call and see what I can figure out and see if there is any hope. I live in Georgia but we have a LOT of druggies here do the medical field does not seem to sympathetic to the ones that need it unfortunately. When I first started my quest for relief i was treated like scum of the earth even when thevdoc told me nothing would work but pain mgt or surgery. I have tried it all up til this point.

I have lost 70 pounds, I do my pt exercises everyday, I do chiro each week, I do massage therapy, I swim, and I rest it. Nothing helps me and then there are days like today where it takes it till on me HARD. Top this with a 4 yr old and a 6 year old and life is hard right now. But I pray i can get help soon

Last week there was this story about a pill mill being shut down close to me. I told hubby I was like man why can't I find those when I need it. He looked at me quite funny but sometimes I do feel that way. I hate to feel this way but the people that need it the most seem to get the hardet time.
  • Your situation sounds all too familiar to me and if it helps, you have my full understanding and sympathy, and here at spine-health you no longer have to go through this alone. I was at my wits end when I found this site.

We all have very negative and dark thoughts sometimes so don't be too alarmed by these if you have them just when you are angry and frustrated, but seek professional advice if you can find a doctor that cares which is not the easiest thing btw.

Please take a look at this article that I read last evening relating to the very real dangers of over-the-counter pain relief, link follows: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15837468

You are in a difficult situation and for what it is worth here is my 2 cents worth. You must find a doctor that will help you! One approach is to drive, or have someone drive you to each and every doctor in your area until you do find a Dr. that is at least prepared to listen, taking a support person helps (take your husband with you) as do pictures of your kids to help prove that you are not some kind of junkie (any x-rays help also) and don't be put off by inflexible reception staff or nurses. And don't pay if they won't see you first.

I would write more but I am hurting a bit too much to continue right now.

Please let us know how you are doing and "Remember to breath", deep breaths help to ease the pain, (remember when you were in labor) :-)

Kind regards
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ..with all the pain you're in?
    If not, Disability attorney can help you...and if you get better...you can go back to work.

But at least you'd have some financial help in the meantime. My attorney helped me to be accepted within 6 months.

The attorney is paid through SS and if you are accepted within 6 months, as I was, attorney isn't paid. But if you've been out of work awhile, you'll be eligible for back payments and attorney is paid from that..not out of your pocket.

It was not easy for me to do..being an independent sort...but...I got used to eating...and needing to take care of myself.

Please keep us posted and best of luck!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History