Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to avoid sitting!!!???

BigochaloopaBBigochaloopa Posts: 41
Hey there everyone. I guess I'm just feeling really frustrated today. I've been suffering with severe sciatica for a year and a half now.

Sitting is my number ONE biggest trigger for pain. I don't know about you guys.....but how the hell does a person AVOID SITTING this day in age???

Sorry, but I'm having a really painful day :( Seriously though, all I do everyday, is battle my sciatic pain. Sitting kills me.....but yet I have to live. I have doctors appts. to drive to.....I have to sit and put my socks on....I have to sit to drive the kids to soccer....I have to sit to drive to get groceries...SITTING SITTING SITTING! I used to love reading. Now that sitting causes me so much pain, I can only read a little bit at a time.

Of course, when I stand too much to avoid sitting....my legs get weak, and my back starts to pain! UUGHH...

Hell, I even bought a beautiful motorcycle this summer...just to give myself a hobby, and to try to do positive things. But, of course, it hurts my sciatic nerve to sit on the thing....:(

SOrry for the pitty party guys... just need to vent.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ..you mean! Sometimes I need to readjust myself and often times find myself sitting with my feet on the chair in a squatting position.

I'm waiting for someone to ask if I need to go to the bathroom because I'm restless like a little kid. :)

I had to give up the driving. The pain is too distracting and not worth it for me.
    And I bought little laptop with ability for keyboard on screen for those days when I can't even move.

I need to lie down often and some days I can't even turn in the bed...dreading when I am going to need to get up for food or the bathroom. Everything is effort...but varies day to day..or moment to moment.

The computer has become such a lifeline and such a necessity since I am so alone in this new adventure of pain in my life. If anything would happen to my little netbook, I would give up food to balance my budget to replace it. :)

I used to love the motorcycle, also...but it just bounces everything out of alignment for me. So, I just have cool memories.

Everyone comes to their own balance of what to do and how much of it to do. I went through some grieving as I saw I needed to give things up. But other things take their place...and life is still good...just way different...and pain management takes top proirity.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• the absolute worst for me as well. I cannot sit like everyone else. If I have to sit, I lean on one hip or the other and recline back as well.

I love to read and go on the computer, find it distracting. I lie down on my side to do this with pillow between legs and one behind back.

If I have to go out somewhere, I spend most of the time standing and rocking back and forth, but then like you, my back hurts even more. I then sit for a minute or two, and then back up I get to stand and rock.

Like Savage, I gave up driving and also don't like being a passenger, again, recline all the way back, on side, pillow.

Don't worry about the pity party, we get it, and would join in at that party.

Hope you feel better, we all have are "extra" bad days.

big >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks guys..... While I feel for your pain, it is nice to have people who " get it", you know?
  • Yep, sitting was impossible for me too (until I got an op because pain had become unbearable), I can relate to what you all say here.

How to avoid it? just don't do it. Sounds impossible? yet when you can't then it is possible. I couldn't. Initially I could force through the pain and wriggle on my office chair or clench my teeth and do that extra mile in the car. Didn't do myself any favour... Eventually I had to stop working and could only get in the car as a passenger laying down on the back seat. No more sitting for six months, my life in pieces. I had badly herniated my disc and went for surgery.

Yet we all push beyond the limits, as long as we can ignore the pain we dismiss wisdom. So if you are going to keep sitting down at least don't bend forward, sit laying back at a 135 deg angle (so I read); don't open your spine in a way that pushes your disc backward (it needs to move back inward if you have a posterior bulge); take frequent breaks (so important!) and compensate any bad posture by correct flexion; walk a lot and learn about those exercises that strenghten your stabilising muscles (it'll help avoiding the wrong moves).

It is very frustrating... but believe me if things go worse then you haven't seen the beginning of your frutration yet! So watch yourself, don't take any pain lightly ;).
  • I know exactly what your going through as well...I have 3 herniated discs in my back all pinching on the sciatic nerve cluster...If I sit for more than a few minutes I feel as though my tailbone has just snapped off...I found that briefly walking helps but I can't do that for to long or I'll be in tears from the back pain...Once this conditions flares up no amount of medication seems to help...I am a professor and vice dean of telecommunication and preforming arts division of a University...After my fall I had to give up teaching all my acting classes because of the pain from standing...I'm now having to consider giving up my other classes and just being vice dean because I cannot sit for a long period of time...I have a couch in my office I lay down on and do work on the computer as long as I don't have meetings...This is one of the hardest conditions to live with and finding a release for the stress it causes is even harder...I do hope your condition improves and just remember that a lot of us on this forum are going through something similar to you...If posting makes you feel better no matter how minute it may be, do it...This condition is to hard to go through alone...Family and friends can only help so much...Unless they have it t0o they can never fully understand how you feel.
  • ..... it's so hard to explain to someone who's never had an issue with sitting. When I am in the sitting position-even for a couple of minutes, it's like all of a sudden I weigh 500 pounds.

I tried to take my wife and kids out last night for an ice cream, which is only 15 minutes away. After just a couple of minutes, my mind was going so crazy with pain, that I was fricking miserable.

When I get like that, I just want to disappear. I don't want anyone to talk to me, or look at me. It's so bad.

I'm supposed to be getting some spinal injections in the new year, so for now, that's all that's keeping me going!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    With all of my spinal surgeries, I could never sit in a chair for any extended period of time (35 minutes+) without being totally uncomfortable.

That is one of the reasons, I always tell travelers (car,plane,boat,etc) to make sure they get up every 30 minutes and walk around and stretch.

After this hip surgery on 10/31/11, I felt even more reasons not to sit for any length of time. Now, I am up to 35 minutes, but for the past couple of weeks, 15 minutes was max.

I guess it really has to do with the positions of our spine and body when we sit.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I also was looking at a harley just simply kiding myself that it might be a good idea to start riding again, The economy is forcing a lot of people to sell there bike and some great deals out there,

Before my surgery i was still able to ride and it actualy felt good leaning foreward on the bike and was not so bad, After surgery i just dont trust my legs and balance so riding is out, I can just imagine riding a good distance and pain coming on where you are not able to drive it back home safely,

I hate even driving the car when nerve is hurting to where you know your reaction time is not as good as when you dont have pain, Not to mention the medication you take just to get on the bike , Many people had to dump there bike after a spine surgery and sell it,

Dont even bother trying to ride unless you healed enough to where you can ride safely,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,