Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone tried Methadone compared to oxycodone

davidmddavidm Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Pain Medications
Has anyone tried Methadone for pain? How is it? Compared to oxycodone?

I'm currently on Oxycodone 30mg 4x day and MS Contin 15mg 2x day

I know that everyone is different, just wondering how was your experience with Methadone?

If you were on methadone and oxycodone, which helped more?

Thanks for your help

• I did beter with the oxycodone, once they had me try methadone and felt prety bad so i turned it down, But then again i never did well with the realy heavy stuff.

I try to just manage with norco and valium when it gets real bad, valium is just a life saver to avoid er,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Methadone is a very , very good medication for treating both mechanical and neuropathic pain. The difference between methadone and oxycodone or any other opiate is that methadone has a very long half life. Where most opiates half life is much shorter, methadone's half life is around 36 hours, more or less. This means that half of the dose of methadone is still available in your body around 36 hours after your last dose. For this reason, methadone needs to be slowly titrate up or down in dose.
    Any time one goes on a new medication, you need to give your body time to adjust to the side effects of the medication, as well as time for at least one dose adjustment to see how well it will work or not work for you. The side effects usually lessen in about two weeks, but can return for a short time after a dosage increase so you should be aware of that as well.
    It is also one of the cheapest pain medications on the market today and one of the most effective.