Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Monday is the day...

ckmerccckmerc Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I go in at 530am this Monday for my first surgery...4 to 6 corpectomy fusion....the on wed in the morning they fuse the back..
It is starting to hit me now but I believe I'm preparred....did a psyudo living will and last will and testimate to take car of my family...the bi&ch was writting a goodbye letter Tony family should something go wrong.

This weekend I am spending time with the family and preparring the room at my parents for when I stay with them when I come home from hospital on next Friday (DVD player, TV, wii, pillows, food..etc)

One thing that I was hoping those of you who have had my surgeryould tells is are the doctors being realistic about my ability to hep and about after my surgery?

They are saying that after both surgeries they will haves up walking right away...and him by Friday and I should be walking three miles a day. Is this realistic based on your experiences? This forum is really great by the way...many thanks to all..

• Wait.. You are having a cervical fusion and a lumbar fusion 2 days apart?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • No..both the front and back surgeries have to do with the cervical fusion.. below is a pic of the problem area..keep in mind..this looks worse because this is a shot with my head tilted back.

So they have to go in take out c5 and the disks above and below c5...put a cadaver bone in place then a plate from c4 to c6. Then on wed they r going in the back and shaving off some bone the use rods and screws to fix the curve of my neck (It is curving the wrong way) and to reinforce the front fusion...
  • Good luck on surgery. Don't compare your recovery to anyone elses, it will be your recovery. You will know in a few days if their recovery program is to aggressive, based on how you feel. The posterior part of the surgery will be the harder of the recovery, just be prepared to use muscle relaxers, as the spasms are the hardest. Enjoy your time with your family and do something relaxing and fun, before you know it monday will be here. Post surgery you can relax and know it is all over and your headed down the recovery road. Don't let the pain get ahead of you, you don't want to play catch up and it will only slow your healing down.
  • Thanks so much for the advice...depending how I feel I will post after surgery on Mon if I feel up to it
  • Based on everyone's experience...what are the most common issues after surgery? [Infection of some kind, worse]?