Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post -Op day 6 TLIF L5 S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I went in for my surgery Tuesday the 29th with the intentions of keeping you all updated throughout the process but things did not go as planned so I am here now. I was terrified to have this surgery done but after a lot of encouraging stories on here I decided to have it done. My Surgery took 4 hours and I was in recovery for 2 hours. Being that it didn't start until late in the afternoon I really didn't come too until Wednesday morning and that day I felt great, the PT came in and we walked a lap then she told me I could walk another lap later that day as long as I had my walker and a person to walk with me, so later in the day I went for a walk but got super lightheaded and sat down in the chair, it was then that the nurses informed me that my blood pressure was too low so I needed to be given more IV fluids and rest. well within 5 minutes I had EXTREME pain from my right butt cheek all the way down to the back of my leg and ankle/foot... it was dying pain, pain I had NEVER EVER had prior to this surgery and funny thing is, my disc was herniated to the left, not the right..it got so bad that my surgeon finally came in Thursday morning, was very concerned and ordered a CAT scan thinking maybe something went wrong or I had a hematoma but thankfully it was just the right sciatic nerve was massively inflamed, he started me on steroids and by Friday morning I was a whole new person...no pain in my legs at all..I am however really sore near the incision site but that is to be expected. I am very impressed with the work of his hands because I have a dolphin tattoo on my back I was worried how bad this would mess it up but it doesn't look too bad.. and of course having no pain is more important that a tattoo :) I was not given any kind of brace to wear and I did not think to ask why not.. I also had bone taken from my right hip which does seem to be more painful the my spine itself. Well that is about it for now. I will keep you all updated as I progress along. praying after steroids and pain meds are gone pain will stay away as well!!

• this is feeling like one step forward, two steps back... I had muscle spasms all night ,didn't sleep well and waking up feeling sick to my stomach (I think from steroids) my PCM just called me in some phenergan so hopefully that will help some.. I tried to stay standing/walking yesterday maybe that was too much?? how is everyone else? Anyone else have nausea from steroids?
  • other side! Sorry to hear that you are having issues with spasms and upset stomache. Are you at home now or still in hospital? Hope that the phenergan helps.

After surgery it can take a long time for nerves to settle down.

Try taking short walks at first, don't push yourself too much, rest in between. You will begin to build up from there.

All the best with your recovery. Please keep us updated.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • TYVM for the hugs and concern!! I am feeling better thankfully for the Phenergan, only a few more days of the steroids so I hope after that I will be MUCH better. I figured out how to post pics on here so took one of my back today after I cleaned it up a bit. I was told to leave steri strips on untill follow up which is dec 12 so after that I hope to see what the scar looks like a bit better :) so far it does not seem to look like my tattoo is messed up too terribly bad!
  • Glad things are getting better and that the phenegran helps. Nothing worse than being nauseous AND in pain.

I have had 3 fusions and my doctor never prescribed a back brace. I know other surgeons do but I got along just fine without one.

Just remember the advice to walk short distances and then increase the number of times you walk before you increase distance. And no bending, lifting, twisting.

Keep us informed on how you are doing.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • well, I am still nausea and I have off and on nerve pain in right leg and I can not straighten my left leg all the way out due to a tight muscle behind the knee but got my first x rays since surgery 14 days ago and Surgeon says everything looks right on track..nerve pain is to be expected for some time as are muscle spasms. I did have him switch me to flexeral in place of the valiums (those were making me drugged out big time) he says to take it easy and try to walk at least a 1/2 mile a day and see me back in a month for more x rays. I asked about a brace he says my hardware is enough and he says " I could put a normal person in one of those braces and their spine would fuse as well w/o surgery" so it made sense to me, I guess all Dr.s are different.. anyhow besides the nausea and spasms ,boredom and a little depression, I am still living so that's a plus!! hope all is well with everyone else.