Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent ACDF on three levels ! Hi !

aseacaaseac Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi there,

My name is Anne and I had a Anterior Cervical Discectomy and triple level fusion on Nov 23rd, 2011. ( 2 and a half weeks ago ) - C4/5, C5/6 and C6/7 !

I fell in March and after 5 long months of pain , numbness , weakness in arm , hand and right foot and leg , a NS suggested that it was the only thing left to do. I am SO glad that I listened to him. I had 3 herniated discs which were causing radiculapathy and myelopathy.

Prior to the op, I had no quality of life, was doped up on Pain tablets ... I couldnt use my r hand at all.

The operation was a long one - 7 hrs , however the NS and is staff said that it went to a ' textbook ' ...and it was ' successful ' ...two phrases that anyone likes to hear !

I developed a reaction to the Philadelphia Collar 3 days post op and it was removed. Havent worn any sort of support since then, and sometimes I feel like I should, yet I have been re-assured that .. no , my head wont fall off .. etc . I was told if I feel that I need to , just wear soft collar in car or when support needed.

Can I say, that 2 days after surgery , 2 weeks ago, I could feel my hand for the first time in 6 months ! You dont know how happy I was ... I cried.

Its only been two weeks and 2 days since surgery... I came home on day 7. Pain up and down, mainly at wound and at back of neck. Managable with standard pain tabs and a stronger one of a night. Hand getting better every day.

Can I let everyone know , that in my case, its the best thing that could have happened having the surgery ...and I am looking forward to a better and healthier 2012.

Regards from Australia

Anne

:H
advertisement

Comments

• It is such a wonderful feeling (literally and figuratively) when things go well. I wore a hard collar for a few days and then a soft collar for a few months and when I felt worse. It gave me support emotionally and physically. Enjoy your summer. Here in New York we are getting ready for winter.