Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here

Newton35NNewton35 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I think I posted my introduction in the wrong "area". Reposting my history here.

I'm 35, re-located from Europe to Massachusetts a few years ago. Married, no children, 3 cats and one tiny welsh corgi that acts as if it is huge. Trying to make up for a bruised ego I think :). I work as a research physicist.
:
I was in an accident some years ago, it was me in a kayak vs. a big motorboat where all aboard were drunk beyond description. Every doctor since have concurred that It was a miracle that I lived. I continue, though, to live with the consequences.
A very good life west kept me from drowning. There was severe back injury and other fractures along with internal bleeding. I recovered as well as could be expected. I can walk but there's sensory impairment along with nerve damage in my legs. Most are manageable but my back... It gives me hell and then some.
I've been lurking around here reading about the experience of others, because, despite 6 operations, I need another one. My first, emergency surgery, involved complicated fusion (with rods and plates) on my lumbar spine. I've since had some minor surgeries to relieve herniated disks. All as succesful as can be expected with this amount of injury. I'm slowly, but surely, losing my ability to walk and paralysis is rearing its ugly head. I need surgery as fast as possible. I've seen two surgeons. One a neurosurgeon and the other a back surgeon and they have totally different suggestions. One suggests massive and indeed complicated surgery which would involve fusing most of my cervical region. The other suggests a more conservative approach, more or less an acdf. I'm at a loss, we've (me and my husband) have been researching most of what we can but there's only so much you can do. We've made an appointment for a 3rd opinion, hoping someone can recommend a clear(er) rate of options, acdf and wait or a more radical approach and no more surgeries for a while.
I suffer relatively minor pain but there's pain. I've been on a cocktail of meds for eyars. I fear that any surgery can/will aggravate that pain. I've managed to keep myself relatively active over the years. No cayaking but lots of walking and other "back-friendly" activities.
advertisement