Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally Post Op!

KenAZKKenAZ Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey all:
Had my 2 level ACDF yesterday (C5-C6, C6-C7) and came home today at 12Noon.

I must say I am surprised that I am not in more pain (thankfully so), but good pain meds and a great surgeon saw to that! I felt well taken care of, the hospital staff was great, and now my biggest challenge is "comfort." I am a bit antsy, and the Aspen collar is what I am trying to get used to. Oh yeah, the throat thing also, my doc told me to EXPECT that, and he finds it in not 98 or 99%, but 100% of the surgeries have throat irritation. Must say I was not a fan of the foley catheter either!

Just slept a couple of hours, and figured since I have some pain coming on and am due for meds, would update all the folks at S-H.

Been walking around the hospital last night and this morning (accompanied by a nurse of course), then today some very boring laps for 10 mins around the inside of my house, being careful where I walk with limited vision field b/c of the collar.

I set a new record on my Inspirometer thingy (4500, WOO HOO) and plan on continuing all of my post op assignments to the letter. Don't need pneumonia or DVTs screwing up a great outcome. Had tons of folks praying for me, and I am sure that is not a coincidence on how well I made it through the first couple of days. Also have a wonderful wife who is with me every step of the way.

Good night all, and hope to get an hour or two comfortable on the computer each day. Boredom may actually turn out to be a factor unless I can find some comfy positions in front of my DVR!

• Makes me feel better about my upcoming 2 level. Thanks for the update and be sure to keep following the surgeon's orders!

• Doesn't it feel great to have the surgery over and be home again for the recovery?
    It sounds like all has gone to plan and that you are doing very well.
    It is so reassuring to hear of good stories for those of us who are possibly waiting for surgery. :SS

Sounds like you have all you need and that you are following all instructions, so keep up the good healing.

• Hi Ken!

I am happy you are doing well! Keep ahead of the pain and take your meds! Rest rest rest and then walk walk walk.

Before you know it you will be 6 months post op!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Welcome to the other side .... I hope everyting progresses without complication. Congrads on blowing the top off of the spirometer !!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I'm glad your doing so well. Continued success on your recovery. Keep up the great work.
  • I'm glad you're feeling so positive about your ACDF. I hope by now you're a pro with the collar, and it's getting a little easier to swallow. Once you're able to get out of the house if the weather's not cooperating you could go to a store with carts and use that for support while you get in your walking!

Keep us updated!

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Some days better than others, but boy did I get a great night of sleep last night.

Computer keyboard still frustrates me and I am ready to breakdown and buy a voice rec program so I can write without typing@!!!

Trying to ease off meds yet stay ahead of the game. Got my bone stimulator Monday and have been doing my 4:00 a day. Also the walking I am referring to is 'basics' - to keep the circulation going and not get any DVTs going on. If it turns out nice and sunny today you can bet I will be outside walking -- maybe go for 3 or 4 10 minute walks... we'll see. So far, so good.

Anyone still waiting on this procedure -- you will do GREAT! Happy Holidays!

• I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing.

I was told in October that I needed a 2 level ACDF at C3/4 and C4/5, but then he went to speak to a higher consultant and came back and said they were going to watch and wait. I have another appointment in April.

I think I will need surgery at some point, but they are holding off as long as they can because I have a lot of degeneration throughout my neck and they fear that the fusion will cause the others levels to go.

I love to read of successful stories.
    Happy Christmas to you too. :-)

• Hey ken. Keep up the positive attitude. I'm a firm believer it is what truly makes a difference in ones recovery.

I'm due to have the c5-c7 early in new year. Bit nervous for sure but I prefer the "hope" of a successful recovery then living with this arm pain.

Thanks for sharing your story. It does help to hear from others. Especially as I find a lot of the healthcare professionals are not all that forthcoming with information.
  • Ken, glad I found your updates...you sound like you're doing great! I'll be having mine probably early February. You prepared so well for your surgery (even thru the nervousness which I'm finding is the hard thing to deal with) and I like your emphasis on walking and staying fit thru it all to prevent problems. Best wishes on your recovery, you have a very positive attitude!