Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second Opinion

ldavis2333lldavis2333 Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for a Laminectomy L2-3 and L3-4 on 02/24/12. I've been in a lot of pain and postponing this surgery for over one year. I am almost bedridden. I can only stand a minutes at a time. I have almost no feeling in both legs and a lot of back pain. I had a Laminectomy and then a fusion with titanium cages at L4-5 about 4 years ago. According to the most recent MRI, I have ruptured and herniated discs at L2-3 and L3-4. There is nerve impingement at both levels and both sides. There is some scare tissue at L5. There are mild Herniations at T10-11 and T12-L1. I saw the Orthopedic Surgeon a few weeks ago. He said he thinks I need a Laminectomy L2-L4. He said because L4-5 is already fused that I don't need another fusion. I posted a couple of weeks ago. I made up my mind that I will have the Laminectomy. As I stated in my last post, my major concern is having to go back a year or two to have the fusion anyway. I understand he is trying to not be more invasive than necessary and I don't have a problem with that. There is also loss of disc height. I have a fusion from C3-T1 with rods and screws. I believe my lumbar spine is not stable. I have been wanting to have an evaluation with a Neurologist because I just have so much going on. I was able to get an appointment 12/28 for the evaluation. I am very relieved to get a second opinion before surgery. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and will keep you posted.



  • I hope the NS will help provide you with more info so you can make a fully informed decision about what's the best course of treatment to getting you feeling good again.

    Try your best to enjoy the holiday as best as you can and let us know how the 2nd opinion goes, hon!
  • Thank You. I am very relieved to have this appointment. I'm glad the evaluation will be done in the event something comes up and I need a Neurologist. I am going to try and calm down and spend some time with my family over Christmas. They are close by. I will let you know what happens. Hope everyone here has some relief and peace for Christmas.
  • I am having a Laminectomy L2-L4 on Tuesday 1/24. I've been putting this off for a long time. I had a L5-S1 fusion about 5 years ago. I've been in horrible pain and pretty much bedridden for several months. Took a long time to find a new PCP I could trust. The previous Orthopedic Surgeon clearly does not want to treat me. I had to find a new surgeon as well. The lumbar MRI shows herniated and ruptured discs L2 and L3 with stenosis at both levels and sides. There is also nerve impingement at both levels and sides. There is scar tissue on the exiting L5 nerve root. The Surgeon feels that a fusion with the Laminectomy is not necessary. My feeling is that I don't want to be back next year for the fusion. Pcp and new Nuerologist feel I should just go along with the plan and be quiet. Who knows what will happen when he gets in there. He has made it very clear to not expect any relief from the back pain. He says it will only help the leg pain. I can't stand it anymore and have no other choice but to do it.

    Meanwhile, 3 years ago I had a C3-C7 fusion with rods and screws. Been noticing more and more neck pain. Now I have pain down both arms (right is worse) and pain through back of shoulders. Wicked headaches. Starting to get that snap, crackle pop sound. I spoke to my PCP and told her I felt something was going on and that I wanted a Neurologic work up.

    I met the new Neurologist and liked him. That day my balance was very bad. I started using a cane over a year ago due to poor balance and pain. I noticed the balance had gotten much worse. The Nuerologist sent me for a Brain and Cervical MRI and got the results on Wednesday.

    First bomb: He told me that I have had a Stroke that I was not aware of that's probably affecting balance. I have early signs vascular disease in my brain. I also have Hydrocephaly and that too is affecting balance and headaches. The only way he would treat it is to do something like a Spinal Tap on my brain. I also need to start taking an aspirin to prevent another stroke after the surgery. I have to go back in 6 months for another MRI. He told me there are many risks with surgery and they would have to outweigh the risk of not doing it.

    Second Bomb: There is a 4mm Anterolistheses at C7-T1 and isn't affecting Spinal cord. However, there is significant loss of disc height. There are osteophytes on right C4-C6. Moderate right foraminal stenosis C4-C6 with potential irritation of the nerve roots. C7 there is an uncovering of the disc secondary to listhesis. There is also a super-imposed right paracentral herniated disc with moderate foraminal narrowing greater on right also with potential nerve root impingement.

    Now I have pain going down both arms, numbness and tingling, neck and shoulder pain. The scar where the fusion is painful to touch and getting vicious headaches.

    I have been holding all of this for a long time. My quality of life has been on a steady decline I can't do anything or go anywhere without being in a lot of pain. Pain has changed me into a person I don't recognize in the mirror. I'm a former competitive female powerlifter and bodybuilder. I need to lose weight and want to exercise but it causes even more pain.

    My husband is disabled and depending on me to get back up on my feet because he has needed a total knee replacement for years. He also has many other serious and chronic life-threatening illnesses.

    The thought of my future totally overwhelms me right now. I do believe that I will eventually need another neck surgery, if the surgeon is willing to touch me.

    I need to hear from someone who has had anything like what I am dealing with. I am just so scared and hope is slipping further away. Sorry for such a long post but, my situation is extremely complicated. Please Help, Lorraine ~X(
Sign In or Register to comment.