Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saw my new PM doc today..

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
Boy I shoulda done this ages ago! What a difference. I have been with the same one about 6 years and everytime I question anything or say the wrong thing, she is down my throat. Now many of you know me - I'm pretty upfront about things and hate rude people, but in her case, I have to keep my piehole shut and let her degrade me for fear of getting the boot. Well, I recently finally got my courage to go see my PC physician for some liver checks and such and he did a bunch of tests. I found I have lupus and some kidney damage because of it but it explains why my joints hurt so damn bad. They have gotten progressively worse that past 3 months and I knew I had RA and figured it was this crappy Utah weather so was surprised to find there was an explanation. Anyway - my PC Physician and I talked a lot about my drinking, meds, and I told him I was just about ready to bail out because I hurt so bad in the morning despite the meds every 4 hours and I didn't dare talk to my PM doc about it because she is not comfortable to talk too and treats me like a GD 5 year old and one day I'll be in the right frame of mind - blow a gasket (i've seen me do it) and it will be over. Then I'll be blowing my head off for sure. He suggested I go to this other doc that specializes in pain mgmt but also other wellness options. I saw him this morn, took my MRIs, xrays, blood work, etc., and wow - what a nice, genuine guy. He listened, we talked, I cried when he asked me what was the worst thing I had to give up and I told him about riding the Blitzman. His boss (the main doctor)actually lived up the road from me a couple years ago and owns some of the most beautiful black arabian horses Ive ever seen - but now i'm getting sidetracked - sorry! Anyway, this doc went thru my bloodwork and said so what did your PC tell you about this - I told him, the lupus, kidney issues, and no vitamin D in my body which he'd given me a supplement for. He said you also have hardly any B12, or testosterone in your body. (you know me - I'm thinking huh? I got balls out the ars) K LAUGH! Anyway, he told me how testosterone was something even women needed and how it helped metabolize pain meds and maybe they weren't working as well as they should be because of it, anyway - he gave me a shot of both in the posterior and took a bunch more blood. He also kept me on what she (the other PM doc) had been giving me and added a 15mg opana twice a day. He said he thought I'd see a big difference in pain control. Either way, I loved the guy - his view is more of lets fix what we can and ensure things don't get worse in the future by doing what we can now - rather than just treat the symptoms as they progressively worsen. I like that cuz I always worry about the future. He did mention he knew I had a drinking problem based upon bloodwork and cautioned me to do something about it. He said well obviously you are taking meds and drinking and apparantely it hasn't affected you but I caution you to take care of the issue because you should never mix the two. I'll need to work on that some more. I have been actually, but don't wanna get into that right now - not really sure it's gonna pan out. I have a hard time not drinking every night... Anyway, just wanted to share my tale and say how glad I am to still be here and actually already feeling better. I'd say I feel better at this moment than I have in months. Take care buddies - Marion

• Mouse:

Sometimes it is beneficial to take one or even two in the ars!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    You found someone who can help you! But I think you better listen to him about the drinking. You'll blow your liver out.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • That's great Marion! I'm glad you finally found a new pm doc that will finally help you, and that you've been helping yourself too, in other ways. Keep on that track, you can do it!! Once you get that poison out of your system, you will be surprised at how much better you could feel. I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with lupus, one of the girls that used to work for me was as well, and I know from her it can be nasty. But at least you know what's going on and can start working on that too. I can hear the lightness in your tone, so I know that you're feeling good about your appointment! That's really great, I'm happy for you! I hope that he continues to take care of you, and that you continue to take care of you as well!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I'm so glad you're on the right track when it comes to pain management, and am sorry about your lupus diagnosis. When it comes to habitual excessive alcohol intake I've been there done that, and AA put me on the road to, by the grace of God, 23 1/2 years, one day at a time, of continuous sobriety. By going to my first meeting I was saved by the bell from fatal cirrhosis - yes, untreated alcoholism is likely to be fatal - so I owe my life to that organization. The AA Hotline number, where you can be directed to meetings, can be found in any phone book. Being in recovery from alcoholism myself, I can especially empathize with your situation and am very concerned about you, so I hope you decide to do something about it. Love 'n >:D< >:D<, >:D<, Ess
  • Glad to hear it Marion, it so nice to have support and have someone on your side. I'm sure you will find it healing to have someone that is trying their best to reduce your pain and treats you like a human with your pain.

I was drinking in the evenings when my pain first got bad and without it I was not able to sleep due to the pain. It took a few months of this for me to realize that I was heading down a bad road, but it wasn't until I was properly medicated and able to control my pain a bit better that I was able to stop drinking all together. For me wasnt a social thing, or even an addiction I just couldn't come to terms with my pain (still takes work to mentally process the pain and I am seeing a pain psychologist right now). It's so hard to even think of your term health when you are in so much pain and it scary to even think about the future.

I really have no idea what your situation is, but I hope for your health and longevity you are able to get it under control....Mitch
  • That's great news. Nice to hear something positive has happened for you for a change. Merry Christmas!

• Wow! This is fantastic! I'm so happy for you!
    Thank you so much for sharing the details of the story too. I didn't realize how PM approaches patients and now reading this, I feel that it may be worth exploring for myself.
  • (Kelly) e-mail me - my computer crashed a while back and I've lost yours!! I miss chattering with ya buddy!
    Thanks to everyone for your kind words. yes, i need to do something about the drinking - I know. I kinda started an every other night, and now trying for one night on - two nights off. It's tough! I don't think it's a physical thing - it doesn't bother me in that way - it's mental. I obviously get a buzz and like that and I am so used to doing it, it seems kind of boring without. I'm working on it - I'm working on it... I have been drinking pretty much since I was 14, so that is a long, long time. I didn't start the everyday thing till after the fusion surgery several years ago but it's been a bad habit, program, whatever you wanna call it for a long while. Tonight is party night - LOL, and my daughter, hubby, and grandson and my 18 year old (who still lives home) and his girl are having dinner, then we're doing Christmas. They all have other plans for Christmas eve and my daughter (Jesika) and hubby stay home on Christmas Day now that they have the little one. Don't blame them at all! They are so funny, Kristian came home from work last night (my son) and said, who are you? I said what? He said - Oh jeez ma, didn't recognize you without a budweiser attached to your hand. Ha-Ha, funny kids...
  • Hey Marion! Seems as though I haven't talked to you in ages!!! I am so happy to hear you found a good doc, willing to listen and help :) YAY!

I had the same problem with drinking, at first. It has only been the last year that I got to a point of not drinking. I may have a beer or two once a MONTH, if that, and that's about it. Going from every day drinking down to only drinking occasionally is hard to do, I know. It sounds like you are doing a great job trying to cut back tho :) good for you!

Take care!
  • Hey Marion, that's fantastic news! I'm so happy for you- that old PM doc sounded.... like a bad fit. I hope this new doc can work with you to get you up and going without the horrific morning pain.

Yes, the drinking can be an issue, we don't want anything to happen to ya! Especially now that you will be feeling better and will be all bright and light and sunny nice ;)
  • I don't know about the nice, bright and sunny nice thing.. I am one grumpy beoch today... At least most peeps are taking this week off work so it's quiet here for the most part. Thanks for the well wishes - I think this is a much better fit. I was just scared to death to try and switch but I think it worked out much better.
  • Hey, if you listen to some of the politicians, grumpy beotch is the least that they call those of us in (un)civil service (more like servitude for some!)
    So, that's about as sunny, nice and bright as we get :D

Same here, plus we're gearing up for hours of cold and damp and rain, so I've been walking like I'm 100.... of course, that's a broken down 100... not the 100 year old marathoner :P

You're kind of giving me hope... I hated trying the PM route last time and the doc I saw just reinforced it all (he sucked bad eggs)He made me feel like I was seeking and that was After I said I didn't really want to increase what I was on, but I wanted to try the shots! Sheesh

Now with you having luck, I might just want to give it another try!
  • A good doc, or one that at least listens - is worth a lot! You know how my old one was, couldn't talk to her at all or she was annoyed. This guy was pretty awesome! I'd say give it a shot - you really don't have anything to lose right?

As far as civil servants - all I can say is why didn't I become a vet like I wanted too! I hate what we do to people, its rough when you hate what you do. It was never this bad before but now anybody that makes anything is getting a raw deal. Sad state of affairs for this Country.
This discussion has been closed.