Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD hope following spinal fusion

xMARxxMAR Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to let all us spineys know that there is happy endings to chronic pain from back surgeries. I got a call yesterday from the social security office here in town and told that I was APPROVED for my social security disability claim. It's been 5 months from the date of my application and wanted to let everyone know it's not that bad and I know there are horror stories about the wait and denials, but the most important part of the process is have a doctor or preferalbly the surgeon (most of them won't help because they don't want to admit they couldn't help you) I had a well known surgeon from Minneapolis that I'm sure a lot of you know that backed me 110%. He did a left and then a right si joint fusion following a 360 4 level fusion i had in 2009. I would not mention his name to anyone. He would not back me at all. Otherwise, I never saw a social security dr. or anything. My va dr. here in Kansas knows me well and also wrote a letter to SS. Just The pain meds alone that I am on keeps me from working. I never thought at 52 I would be disabled, but am very happy for the financial help. Now my next step, which is already in progress is to raise my VA disability amount. If anyone has any questions, please ask. Kevin

• Hey Kevin, It's great to hear you were approved for ssd. I know most of the people out there just focus on their own aches and pains, kind of like a contest, who has had the most done and I hurt more than you, but it's great to hear a happy ending sometimes. The best of luck to you buddy take care, Kevin
  • Thanks so much Kevin. I hope you are feeling better. Take care, Kevin

P.S. I know what you mean about being a feel sorry for me site. I'm off to bigger and better things!!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    It is great that things were so smooth for you and you received your disability so quickly!

That has to be a huge relief!
    I'm happy for you!
    Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• xmar, and congrats on getting approved for ssd, so quickly.
    I was approved at 55 y/o and got it approved on the 1st time also.
    I also applied for non-service connected disability pension with the v.a. and its been 3 1/2 months, but havent heard anything from them yet.

Best wishes to ya, and congrats again.
  • Blazer and Savage, thanks so much for the posting. It did go very smooth for me. the ssd that is. I'm also seeking PTSD from the military and hearing loss. It definiteley gets frustrating as you know dealing with more than you can handle. I thank you two very much for responding. I wish you the very best in a speedy recovery for you. I've been fighting my battle with PTSD for a very long time and i admit I fall off the deepend sometimes. God bless and Merry Christmas, Kevin (USMC)